Washing Advice

Detaling and car washing techniques

Washing Advice

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Even using all correct products and procedures you can still end up with scratches when car is in direct sun this can be seen

I use a noodle sponge and two bucket method and still get issues :/ and microfiber towels to dry

Any help would be great and advice
Newbie gt
Newbie GT

Re: Washing Advice

Postby Kekotic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm

First and foremost preventative measures are the best. Obviously your car is not in perfection condition so preventative wont make your car any better right now. Get a good detail (cough reflect effect cough) and get Optiguard (aka opticoat) paint protection.

Then the following is a good start for prevention of swirls.

Use grit guards in the buckets

Get a high quality wash mitt such as the Car Pro brand one that Hamish recommends - http://www.carpro-us.com/merino-wool-wa ... ors-tools/
Use 3 different wash mitts, one for wheels, one for upper portion of the car (roof, windows, boot, bonnet, tops of side quarter panels) and the 3rd wash mitt for doors, bumpers and lower quarter panels.

Learn proper washing and drying techniques, don't use force, you are supposed to let the wash mitt / drying towel glide over the paint.

Also a high quality Waffle weave drying towel like the Optimum one -http://optimumcarcare.com.au/product/51/optimum_microfibre_waffle_weave_drying_towel.html
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Newbie GT » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks Kiern !
So the noodle sponges from super cheap are not the way to go ?

Meguires soft wash is what I use also as a detergent.

High quality microfiber towels are hard to find they all look the same :/

I use also ones from super cheap
Newbie GT

Postby Kekotic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Newbie GT wrote:Thanks Kiern !
So the noodle sponges from super cheap are not the way to go ?

Meguires soft wash is what I use also as a detergent.

High quality microfiber towels are hard to find they all look the same :/

I use also ones from super cheap

Anything from Super cheap / Autobarn for detailing is usually going to be shit. There are some exceptions like a few autoglym products, Aerospace 303, but you will never find high quality wash mitts or drying towels there. regular microfibre cloths from SCA/AB for general purpose are okay though.

High quality MF is easy to find, just online on real detailing supplier websites!
Try find a Ph Neutral wash as well, not sure what the Meguiars one is.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Newbie GT » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks mate and are the MF towel best for drying car off ?
Newbie GT

Postby BUDDAH » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Try a snow gun + lamb wool mitt and blow dry with a leaf blower :wink: i do 8)
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby Boostaddict » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 am

BUDDAH wrote:Try a snow gun + lamb wool mitt and blow dry with a leaf blower :wink: i do 8)

Actually not a bad idea with the leaf blower

Wow some constructive advice BUDDAH ......... :shock:

Are you feeling well.???? :air_kiss:
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby Kekotic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 am

Provided it's an electric leaf blower it should be okay, although you will still need to dry it off with a towel afterwards or you will get miniscule water spots. You could try using a wax spritzer after the leaf blower so that you only use a cloth once.

If your car sheets water well (opticoat sheets awesome) then you can actually "dry" the car using water from a hose with no attachments on it, to sheet the water off. Then it's just a matter of sliding a drying towel over the top using it's own weight to dry it.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby Newbie GT » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 am

chaotic2050 wrote:Provided it's an electric leaf blower it should be okay, although you will still need to dry it off with a towel afterwards or you will get miniscule water spots. You could try using a wax spritzer after the leaf blower so that you only use a cloth once.

If your car sheets water well (opticoat sheets awesome) then you can actually "dry" the car using water from a hose with no attachments on it, to sheet the water off. Then it's just a matter of sliding a drying towel over the top using it's own weight to dry it.

Cheers mate

MF towels are way to go then no blower :)
Newbie GT

Postby Kekotic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Newbie GT wrote:Cheers mate

MF towels are way to go then no blower :)

That isn't what I said.

Tell your Dad to take his car to someone who can do optiguard, so you have less chance of fucking up his cars paint due to you being a 15 year old.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby BUDDAH » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Provided it's an electric leaf blower it should be okay, although you will still need to dry it off with a towel afterwards or you will get miniscule water spots. You could try using a wax spritzer after the leaf blower so that you only use a cloth once.

Im a 100% convert to http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/ products the wax is amazing and lasts 6 months. I wax all the side glass rear window and mag wheels. All I do is snow the car down use a wool mitt all over hose down then use a petrol blower starting from the front to the back and have never needed to use towel or cloth on the main surfaces there is NO spotting

Cant see whats the difference from a petrol blower to a electric but you must remember if chaotic2050 says its raining its best to go outside and check the young bloke is delusional and is now believing every thing hes says

Opticoat is a total shit to apply and have seen total crap finish on black and other dark cars . On can of Collinite wax for around $50 will do 5/6 cars
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby Newbie GT » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks Buddha will enquire

Kiern you have been told dont think you know everything

Wierd
Newbie GT

Postby Kekotic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 pm

BUDDAH wrote:

use a petrol blower starting from the front to the back and have never needed to use towel or cloth on the main surfaces there is NO spotting

Cant see whats the difference from a petrol blower to a electric but you must remember if chaotic2050 says its raining its best to go outside and check the young bloke is delusional and is now believing every thing hes says

Some petrol ones will vent some of their exhaust gases through the blower, so you might be blowing exhaust fumes on your car. HENCE why I said "ELECTRIC" in my post because none of them will be venting dirty exhaust fumes on the car you dipshit.

BUDDAH wrote:Opticoat is a total shit to apply and have seen total crap finish on black and other dark cars .

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA

http://www.elitefinish.com.au

I guess that's why you aren't a professional detailer are you? Go away you troll.

Newbie GT wrote:Thanks Buddha will enquire

Kiern you have been told dont think you know everything

Wierd

No shit and I don't claim to know. But I do constantly speak to the best detailer on this forum, Hamish.

Buddah talks to himself and probably rubs himself while he looks in the mirror.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Postby BUDDAH » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am

Hay Kieran (girls name) You know all those stupid posts you made and deleated :mrgreen: I have them all and think its about time I posted them so others can see what a goose
you are. :wink:
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby BUDDAH » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 am

Hay Kieran (girls name) You know all those stupid posts you made and deleted :mrgreen: I have them "all " screen shot's"" and think its about time I posted them so others who weren't around then can see what a goose you are and why I take the piss out of you .

What you think :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Next

Return to Detailing