Touch up paint on plastics?

Detaling and car washing techniques

Touch up paint on plastics?

Postby Sh4wry » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:15 am

Detailing gurus

I've got some scrap marks on the underside of my front bumper unfortunatly I fitted a front lip but the scrap marks are still visible past the top of the lip. Additionally there is another area on the front bumper which needs to be painted about the size of a 20c piece.

I have some touch up paint from Subaru which consists of the white base and a clear coat. However after reading instruction it advises me not to use on plastics/bumpers.

Gurus would you agree with this? And advise me not to do it. The wife is a artist and should be able to get a good even coverage.

Im not in a position to get the front bar resrayed anytime soon as I frequent the highway in the west and has road trains and gravel... Not a good combination.

I'm assuming the reason it's not reccomended is that the colour would not match up due to being on plastic?

If I was to do it, come time that I get the front bar resrayed will this have any adverse actions to the overall finish?

Sorry for the novel.
Craig.
Sh4wry
-stickered-

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17136

Re: Touch up paint on plastics?

Postby Kekotic » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 am

Pearl white is terrible for touch up paint it never looks right. Only decent option is to get the bar resprayed or hide it with a front lip.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Alex@Moonlight » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Touch up paint is absolutely terrible to use.

The final product, no matter how good you are, will never be uniform with the rest of the paint.

This is chiefly because the method of application - via brush or toothpick - is not the same as a factory spray or paint dipping (as most Germans are doing now).

The clearcoat may also be different as the factory clearcoat is typically ceramic-based, whereas the touch up paint is lacquer-based.
Alex
Moonlight Detailing

moonlightdetailing@gmail.com
facebook.com/moonlightdetailing
Alex@Moonlight

Car: BMW 125i

Postby NDJ93 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 pm

I've got a "satin white" wagon myself and I am absolutely spewing after being told that the touch up will not properly blend into the factory paintwork. Its something I honestly should have thought of when buying the car. I feel in love with the car as soon as I saw it :(
NDJ93

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon

Postby Sh4wry » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:02 pm

I ended up using the touch up paint. Yes it look like shit up close when you look at the bottom of the front bar.

But I will be getting it resprayed after i am no longer in the scrub.
Sh4wry
-stickered-

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17136

Return to Detailing