Which wheel cleaner is best for you?

Detaling and car washing techniques

Which wheel cleaner is best for you?

Postby AlpineRaven » Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 pm

G'day,
A few years ago I used to clean wheel rims with something that was powerful but it destroyed the paint (after all had to get the rim re-sprayed), but since I have company car for last 3 years and my wife's previous car had steelies, now she has Liberty with 17" alloy rims, inside the rims is black - covered in brake dust and it sh¡ts me so I want that cleaned up.
So this time I want to be careful rather destroy the paint, a lot of wheel cleaners has acid in them... Ive used CT18 and it does come off but the catch is it leaves white marks on the paint - so no good.

What do you use? (even for first time when its covered in black brake dust that could involve scabbing! - would rather spray on then hose off)
Cheers
AP
AlpineRaven

Car: BP Liberty Wagon 2.5i

Re: Which wheel cleaner is best for you?

Postby zch91 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 pm

I am interested too.. Mine have a bit of tar that has stuck to them (from newly sealed roads I guess)

Hamish will tune in soon to give us the right answer :D
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby AlpineRaven » Thu May 31, 2012 8:38 pm

zch91 wrote:I am interested too.. Mine have a bit of tar that has stuck to them (from newly sealed roads I guess)

Hamish will tune in soon to give us the right answer :D

That is another thing I forgot to add - tar stuck on the rim as well.
Cheers
AP
AlpineRaven

Car: BP Liberty Wagon 2.5i

Postby subyroo » Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 pm

To remove the tar just soak a rag with Kerosene and hold it on the spot or wipe over the area leaving it really wet with the Kero and a minute or so later start rubbing the kero rag.

I did all the sills etc about 2 weeks ago on my 03 Forester this way.
Once a year I give the whole car a kero bath in this manner and then wash off and chamois.

To reduce the amount of brake dust on my alloys I wipe them over with Mr Sheen after they have dried from a wash. It doesn't completely stop the brake dust sticking to the alloys but it sure does reduce it.
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby Corsair » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 pm

This is an acid product, but gives you more time than others to wash it off and doesn't leave marks if instructions are followed.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/produ ... el_cleaner

That being said, don't use a Gerni with it. Just a hose and do one wheel at a time.
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Postby hamish_023 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 am

Poor boys spray and rinse. Awesome wheel cleaner

That and a decent wheel brush.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby jdm rsk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 am

i have used this one and found it good also

jdm rsk
formerly legacy rsk

Car: MY 11 VW Golf GTI ED35

Postby hamish_023 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:20 am

jdm rsk wrote:i have used this one and found it good also

Same concept as IronX but I didn't find it bites nearly as much. Although much cheaper price :(
hamish_023

Postby Rome_BRZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 am

hamish_023 wrote:

Same concept as IronX but I didn't find it bites nearly as much. Although much cheaper price :(

Stop changing your mind! Is it poor boys, PERL, or Iron X?! :angry2:
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby hamish_023 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:55 am

Rome_STI wrote:
hamish_023 wrote:

Stop changing your mind! Is it poor boys, PERL, or Iron X?! :angry2:

I have never changed my mind. :wink:

Poor boys is a good wheel cleaner. Ironx X is a good wheel cleaner & decontaminator. Perl is a good plastics tyre shine.

I stock a lot of different brands and cleaners because not one company makes the best of everything
hamish_023

Postby Rome_BRZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:57 am

hamish_023 wrote:I have never changed my mind. :wink:

Poor boys is a good wheel cleaner. Ironx X is a good wheel cleaner & decontaminator. Perl is a good plastics tyre shine.

I stock a lot of different brands and cleaners because not one company makes the best of everything

Haha I know I was just playing. So then is it Iron X to use before Poor Boys? Or Just use Iron X instead of Poor boys? Or use Poor boys regularly, and Iron X before putting a sealant on the wheels?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby hamish_023 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:04 pm

aha I know I was just playing. So then is it Iron X to use before Poor Boys? Or Just use Iron X instead of Poor boys? Or use Poor boys regularly, and Iron X before putting a sealant on the wheels?

On a regular weekly wash I just use the foam to wash down my wheels, but when they are filthy or now winter has hit I will use the poor boys.

You can just use IronX as wheel cleaner or after poorboys to decontaminate the Iron content on the wheels and paint.

Putting a standard wax on wheels is pointless. It needs to be a durable sealant which I recall you said you have fromFI :D
hamish_023

Postby Rome_BRZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

hamish_023 wrote:aha I know I was just playing. So then is it Iron X to use before Poor Boys? Or Just use Iron X instead of Poor boys? Or use Poor boys regularly, and Iron X before putting a sealant on the wheels?

On a regular weekly wash I just use the foam to wash down my wheels, but when they are filthy or now winter has hit I will use the poor boys.

You can just use IronX as wheel cleaner or after poorboys to decontaminate the Iron content on the wheels and paint.

Putting a standard wax on wheels is pointless. It needs to be a durable sealant which I recall you said you have fromFI :D

I just used the last of my wheel cleaner from FI, I have to admit as much as I don't think their other products were worth it, their wheel cleaner was really good. Most of the time I could just spray the wheels, let it dwell, gerni off without any agitation and the wheels would be shiny as new. If they are REALLY dirty I would use the brush to agitate the wheel cleaner. Now that it's run out I might give poorboys a go!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby Alex@Moonlight » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 am

We use a number of procedures on wheels, depending on condition.

1. Sonax Full Effect - impossible for us to find in Australia so we import it from the USA. It is by far the most effective wheel cleaner (and non-acidic which is crucial) i've ever used. It's a fluro green when sprayed on, and turns to red once it has lifted dirt. Sonax is perfect for generally dirty wheels.
2. Clay - Used clay bars (after having been applied to paint/glass) are absolutely fine to use on wheels. It helps with grime and road tar that has been just about cured onto wheels (typically in cracks and on the insides of the wheel).

As a tip, we always clean wheels by hand and immediately dry them by hand when clean. Due to the design of wheels, nothing at all beats an index finger to clean them properly. It is also important to ensure the wheel is fully dry before applying protectant.

Cheers

Alex
Alex
Moonlight Detailing

moonlightdetailing@gmail.com
facebook.com/moonlightdetailing
Alex@Moonlight

Car: BMW 125i

Postby SegR » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Are alkaline cleaners just as bad as acidic cleaners or are they not a problem? Whichever one I have sitting in my garage is an alkaline solution.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Next

Return to Detailing