Water filtration for high pressure hose?

Detaling and car washing techniques

Water filtration for high pressure hose?

Postby SegR » Sun May 20, 2012 1:46 pm

For those who use a high pressure hose for cleaning their car (either directly or with a foam lance) and particularly if you do so using tank water, do you use an additional filter to keep grit and crap out of the high pressure cleaner and off your car?

I have a gerni which has a small filter on the inlet but I'm wondering whether I should put something more comprehensive on the hose between my water pump and the pressure cleaner. All I've been able to find so far is an inline filter at bunnings but it's designed for polypipe & garden watering systems (I could adapt it for this use with a few fittings) and the filter on the gerni itself is finer anyway.

Surprisingly not much has collected in the gerni filter; I thought there'd be more crap in the water which traverses my roof and gutters before reaching the tank.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: Water filtration for high pressure hose?

Postby Deep Heat » Sun May 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Doesnt your tank have a filter on it?
Jack_Keaka wrote: I like my women like subarus, box explodes and does a head easily.
Deep Heat
formerly Twinkle

Postby Dropz » Sun May 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Twinkle wrote:Doesnt your tank have a filter on it?

And normally there will be mesh on the rainwater tank inlet, or the downpipe from your gutters, hence why they require seasonal cleaning - unless you have the gutter protective stuff, which is basically just a big sheet of mesh over your whole gutter so leaves etc just slide off your roof :) and also dont clog up your gutters and pipes.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby Dropz » Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Oh and for your original question, Most people I've seen detailing (and myself when I wash my car) use tap water with no filter.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby SegR » Tue May 22, 2012 11:08 am

Twinkle wrote:Doesnt your tank have a filter on it?

Don't think so, at least not between the tank and pump. Should go out and have a good look at it.

Dropz wrote:And normally there will be mesh on the rainwater tank inlet, or the downpipe from your gutters, hence why they require seasonal cleaning

Yeah there's mesh on the inlet, but it's pretty coarse. It stops leaves, big chunks of bird crap etc. but grains of dirt would probably still get through.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Return to Detailing