Detailing/Microfiber towels

Detaling and car washing techniques

Detailing/Microfiber towels

Postby JKeep2.5i » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I have been reading through this section and have gained some solid info on detailing my car. I received the mothers California gold 3 step ultimate wax system for my birthday. I have never polished or waxed my car, so I am very new to this and would love to get her shining and back to new. I watched a couple of vids on the mothers websites and there all using these microfiber towels to apply the polish/wax and to whip/buff it off. Where do you guys get these towels from?? Autobarn?? Or are the eBay ones just as good?? Any tips on when I do detail my car please point out, thanks in advance :)
MY04 Liberty 2.5i wagon 5MT[Team White]P plates
surfsnowsubarus
JKeep2.5i
-stickered-

Car: MY04 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14989

Re: Detailing/Microfiber towels

Postby garbo41610 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 pm

www.carcareproducts.com.au I have literally spent $1,000s one detailing products from them. You get what you pay for.
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby JKeep2.5i » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 pm

garbo41610 wrote:http://www.carcareproducts.com.au I have literally spent $1,000s one detailing products from them. You get what you pay for.

Aww man I know I will too! I see in your pic you have a sunroof I do too, however unfortunately the previous owner didn't take alot of care looking after it. I scrub and scrub and those dam watermarks won't budge, do you recommend anything?? I recall seeing something on chrome polish?
surfsnowsubarus
JKeep2.5i
-stickered-

Postby teK-- » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Claybar will get watermarks off the paint.

As for microfibre I buy heaps of the bulk packs of Kenco ones from Kmart, Supercheap, etc around $8 for half a dozen. When they wear out just chuck em out.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Microfibre you pay for what you get. There's low quality and higher quality for general purpose cleaning cheap is fine anything to do with paint.

I doubt claybar will get rid of waterspots. There is glass polish available.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby iisshhyy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 pm

for the water spots on the glass....Zaino glass polish. Just put some on tonight and I'm pretty happy.

+1 for spending stupid amounts of money at carcareproducts.com.au
iisshhyy

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:26 pm

JKeep2.5i wrote:
garbo41610 wrote:http://www.carcareproducts.com.au I have literally spent $1,000s one detailing products from them. You get what you pay for.

Aww man I know I will too! I see in your pic you have a sunroof I do too, however unfortunately the previous owner didn't take alot of care looking after it. I scrub and scrub and those dam watermarks won't budge, do you recommend anything?? I recall seeing something on chrome polish?

I had the exact same problem with my car as it came from Tassie and had very stubborn watermarks on all the glass. I used the AutoGlym Glass Polish from Repco, $11.70 discounted with my RACV card. Was bit tuff to remove by hand but came off easily with the a dual action buffer. Speaking to a guy who runs a panel shop recently he said they use automotive thinnners to wipe down the glass to get rid of watermarks. I had tried all the other methods such as vinegar in water, WD40 etc before hitting it with the glass polish. The other polish to try is a the Mother's chrome polish, a bit dearer. Both polishes are guaranteed not to scratch the glass.

Hope this helps.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby fishingg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:18 pm

yup I am hopeless at this too grrrr

why is it e have difficulty with it ? :angel:
fishingg

Postby Kekotic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:58 pm

fishingg wrote:yup I am hopeless at this too grrrr

why is it e have difficulty with it ? :angel:

Hopeless with what exactly? This thread sort of derailed a little.
I never allow the kenco style (supercheap auto etc) Microfibre cloths to touch my paint or even glass. They scratch like a mofo.
Speak to Hamish if you want high quality MF cloths. I have only come across 1 high quality one when purchasing from retail stores, and it came inside a Autoglym resin polish kit. I still use that cloth because it's good. But those 10 pack style ones you get from Super cheap, I only use those for super dirty jobs like applying PERL to the tyres,, engine bay, or with some isopropyl alcohol to clean under the sideskirts etc.

Otherwise stick to carcareproducts.com.au or other online places for high quality MF cloths.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby bosc0 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:38 am

Have a look here http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14749 for a good detailing starting point.

I used one of these http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/aquatouch/microfibre_general_purpose_cloth/blue after a quick clay bar the other day. Was sexy time.
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby Mark^^ » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:07 pm

I just orderd a bunch on sale at http://www.waxit.com.au for $149.95 a kit containing 27 Aquatouch Microfibre Products, this kit costs $347.67 if purchasing separately. These Aquatouch Microfibre products are all Split Microfibre and designed for the detailer in mind for premium results.

Contains:
2x Aquatouch Ultra Microfibre Wash Mitt
2x Aquatouch Ultra Microfibre Glass Cloth
1x Aquatouch Ultra Microfibre Drying Towel 60x90cm
1x Aquatouch Ultra Microfibre Chamois 60x80cm
1x Aquatouch Microfibre Waffle Weave Drying Towel Blue 60x90cm
3x Aquatouch Ultra Microfibre Ultra Soft Grey Cloth 40x40cm
2x Aquatouch Ultra Microfibre Super Soft Purple Cloth 40x40cm
1x Aquatouch Ultra Microfibre Suede Cloth 40x40cm
2x Aquatouch Microfibre Edgeless Polish Cloth Blue 40x40cm
3x Aquatouch Microfibre Edgeless Wax Cloth Green 40x40cm
1x Aquatouch Microfibre General Purpose Blue Cloth 40x40cm
1x Aquatouch Microfibre General Purpose Yellow Cloth 40x40cm
1x Aquatouch Microfibre General Purpose Green Cloth 40x40cm
1x Aquatouch Microfibre General Purpose Red Cloth 40x40cm
2x Aquatouch Microfibre Block Applicators Blue
2x Aquatouch Microfibre Applicator Blue
2x Aquatouch Microfibre Suede Applicator Blue
1x Aquatouch Microfibre Hand Pocket Applicator Blue
1x Aquatouch Microfibre Hand Pocket Applicator Yellow
1x Microwash 473m

http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?page= ... t&Itemid=1

Ordered it on 27th February and arrived at the post office 29th of February - great service.
Mark^^

Car: MY10 GT Turbo & Ford Territory

Postby JKeep2.5i » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 pm

i have a couple of meguiars premium micro fibre towels, and micro fibre chamois and I've only detailed my car properly a couple of times, i think that they are pretty good, but that aqua touch kit looks like a good deal :)
surfsnowsubarus
JKeep2.5i
-stickered-

Postby bosc0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 am

Jesus Mark! how do you keep track of what you've used for what?
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby Mark^^ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:20 pm

hahah set of plastic draws, with instructions on the outside as to what goes where. Not difficult, draws for washing cloths, for drying cloths, for polishing cloths, for polish pads and a 3metre shelf for cleaning products. Easy when they come in different colours.
Mark^^

Car: MY10 GT Turbo & Ford Territory

Postby justbine » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Mark^^ wrote:hahah set of plastic draws, with instructions on the outside as to what goes where. Not difficult, draws for washing cloths, for drying cloths, for polishing cloths, for polish pads and a 3metre shelf for cleaning products. Easy when they come in different colours.

I need your help to grow my knowledgr if you interested??? :alcoholic:
spammy signature removed by admin
justbine
I've been banned

Next

Return to Detailing