Cleaning the windows? Tips?

Detaling and car washing techniques

Cleaning the windows? Tips?

Postby sti_stig » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Hey guys, any recommendations on what to use on my windows from the inside to clean them.. ive been using windex and come night time i can make out streak lines which are a pain to drive with. I dont cake on the windex on the windshield to the point where its running down the screen. I find that using a separate dry cloth after seems to work well.

Are there any products out there that can make my windows super clear?? or maybe im just a noob at using windex lol.

p.s. plz no smart ass comments like nothing clearer then knocking out your windshield.. lol Im just curious as to what to you guys use.
sti_stig

Car: 08' Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec.B

Re: Cleaning the windows? Tips?

Postby teK-- » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Microfibre cloth. No solvent/liquid required. No streaks!
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Do you have tint?

What are you putting on your door frame? any conditioner? Alot of people 'treat' their doors trims with greasy conditioners that never absorb into the trim as it has a protecting coating over the top and it soon evaporates and sticks to the windows.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby rickerty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Maguires make a window cleaner if it's a must, it's actually quite good and of course smells great as all their products do.
But as Tek said a clean m/f cloth is best, just polish away 'til it meets your satisfaction :D
[MY08/Lib/ej25/5MT/Limited Ed./SatNav/TeamWagon!]
HKS | MOMO | HID/LED | BILSTEIN
rickerty
-stickered-

Car: MY08/LTD/EJ25/5MT/WAGON

Postby swingn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Maguires window cleaner for me... But I don't get fancy, I just use whatever clean cloth I have available.

Just stray on & wipe over, the use the dry side (Or another rag) to wipe over again & your sweet :)

Btw sti_stig... That guy in the EVO X in your video clearly can't drive :P He should've been running a clear 1.5 seconds faster ;) But damn that Liberty is quick :D
Last edited by swingn on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby garbo41610 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I've used a few different window cleaners and the best for my money is Mint. Cleans everything off and doesn't leave streaks. It's bloody great actually.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/mint/glass
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby Digital » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 pm

i use a armour all window cleaner but i spray on, then clean using newspaper, then buff off with a microfibre towel, usually does the trick!
MY08 2.5i - Satin Pearl White - Sat Nav [TEAM WHITE]
Digital
-stickered-

Car: MY08 2.5i Sedan - TEAM WHITE
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5767&start=0

Postby Arith » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:44 pm

garbo41610 wrote:I've used a few different window cleaners and the best for my money is Mint. Cleans everything off and doesn't leave streaks. It's bloody great actually.

$10? That's cheap! The other name brands are like $15+

Digital wrote:then clean using newspaper

Does that actually work? I always thought the ink from the paper would run considering the chemicals involved.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Arith wrote:
garbo41610 wrote:I've used a few different window cleaners and the best for my money is Mint. Cleans everything off and doesn't leave streaks. It's bloody great actually.

$10? That's cheap! The other name brands are like $15+

Mint is good! I have found they are actually name brands just put in their bottles. (Ie Mint clay lube is actually un-concentrated Dodo juice clay lube) :wink:
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby sti_stig » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:57 pm

hamish_023 wrote:Do you have tint?
What are you putting on your door frame? any conditioner? Alot of people 'treat' their doors trims with greasy conditioners that never absorb into the trim as it has a protecting coating over the top and it soon evaporates and sticks to the windows.

Yes I have tint but have never used greasy conditioners on my trim.. only use windex on trim if it needs it or a wet chammy.

swingn wrote:Btw sti_stig... That guy in the EVO X in your video clearly can't drive :P He should've been running a clear 1.5 seconds faster ;) But damn that Liberty is quick :D

"It doesnt matter if you win by an Inch or a mile.. winning is winning.." - Vin Diesel The fast and the furious

Perhaps he can drive but the liberty is worked better... :P haha Real drivers drive liberty's ;)
sti_stig

Postby Robbks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:34 pm

I use Klearview Blue or Klearview Green

both supplied by omikron chemicals.
professional detailing suppliers

you mix it in any strength you want with water, and in winter, add a capful of isopropyl alcohol or metho in with it for an easy, streak-free clean

dampen a clean chamois with it,
wash the window clean with it
if the windows are relatively clean and the chamois is dry enough, no need to wipe it over again
otherwise wipe over a microfibre or toweling rag.

easy as

my preferred method is to over-moisten the chamois,wash over the entire outside of the car
then go over it again with the towel
repeat for the inside.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby sti_stig » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Robbks wrote:my preferred method is to over-moisten the chamois,wash over the entire outside of the car
then go over it again with the towel
repeat for the inside.

I might try that next time when this sydney weather pulls its act together so I can was the car without rain making it pointless... when I clean the glass it looks spotlessly clean but at night its visible hopefully I get better results.
sti_stig

Postby Robbks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 pm

yeah a lot of the time it needs that second wipe after it's dried off to get rid off all the residue
the metho/ alcohol helps to minimise it, but you need to work faster with it
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby Digital » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Arith wrote:
Digital wrote:then clean using newspaper

Does that actually work? I always thought the ink from the paper would run considering the chemicals involved.

Nope, no issues with the ink running, it's actually really good to get a nice streak free finish.. I guess it's the same concept as using newspapers to clean mirrors with windex...
MY08 2.5i - Satin Pearl White - Sat Nav [TEAM WHITE]
Digital
-stickered-

Car: MY08 2.5i Sedan - TEAM WHITE
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5767&start=0

Postby Kekotic » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 pm

I was just on the final inspection forums last night, and they claim to use only water and 2 special cloths. You can buy the cloths in a pack too.

http://forums.finalinspection.com.au/sh ... php?t=8546
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Next

Return to Detailing