Cleaning the windows? Tips?

Detaling and car washing techniques

Re: Cleaning the windows? Tips?

Postby muzza » Fri May 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Inside: Cheap as chips, good squirt of dish washing detergent in 500mls of water, makes a strong soapy mix.
Using a normal dishwashing sponge, ( flat sqaure cellulose ones, y'know?)dip sponge and wring out well, wipe over all inside glass to leave a thin wet layer. This dries quickly and should cut oily residue off the glass. Bonus is the anti fog properties of the detergent. Repeat if streaky, rinse and wring sponge for each window. If you can still see residue on your inside glass, back off the amount of detergent in the mix.

Outside: microfibre glass cloth with windex to really shift most spots, followed by a coating of rainX. Remove rainX residue with a dripping wet dish sponge, then wipe dry with wrung out sponge.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Postby Alex@Moonlight » Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 am

Be careful that you're not washing the inside with any chemicals if you have window tint. The abrasives and chemicals in most detergents (including window cleaners and those for autos!) will break down the tint.
Alex
Moonlight Detailing

moonlightdetailing@gmail.com
facebook.com/moonlightdetailing
Alex@Moonlight

Car: BMW 125i

Postby muzza » Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Alex@Moonlight wrote:Be careful that you're not washing the inside with any chemicals if you have window tint. The abrasives and chemicals in most detergents (including window cleaners and those for autos!) will break down the tint.

Never had a problem with 3 tinted cars over 15 years with basic dish washing detergent in water.
But I've always had the same tinter who uses top range USA-made metallised film, no cheapie stuff, my oldest lease car that we kept for 13 years had no issues at all.

Maybe depends on the tint..........?
Muzza
muzza

Postby Kekotic » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 pm

muzza wrote:
Alex@Moonlight wrote:Be careful that you're not washing the inside with any chemicals if you have window tint. The abrasives and chemicals in most detergents (including window cleaners and those for autos!) will break down the tint.

Never had a problem with 3 tinted cars over 15 years with basic dish washing detergent in water.
But I've always had the same tinter who uses top range USA-made metallised film, no cheapie stuff, my oldest lease car that we kept for 13 years had no issues at all.

Alex is saying that you shouldn't use anything solvent based as it WILL deteriorate the tint. Doesn't matter if you are using "USA-made" tint. Solvents will ruin them.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby muzza » Fri May 24, 2013 10:08 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
muzza wrote:

Alex is saying that you shouldn't use anything solvent based as it WILL deteriorate the tint. Doesn't matter if you are using "USA-made" tint. Solvents will ruin them.

Who mentioned solvents?
Ah I see some earlier comments mention metho and ammonia etc, no, not a good move in my book, just simple water and soap and microfibres safest bet.
Muzza
muzza

Postby phatmonk » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:36 pm

muzza wrote:Who mentioned solvents?
Ah I see some earlier comments mention metho and ammonia etc, no, not a good move in my book, just simple water and soap and microfibres safest bet.

50/50 water/metho. Wipe off with newspaper. Just clean the window before the metho evaporates :) If really fussy, microfibre after but isn't necessary.

Used inside and out on mirrors, windows and rear views. Never had an issue on any car with tints, trims, dashes... anything.
phatmonk

Car: MY07 Lib GTB, R33 GTR, Octavia vRS

Previous

Return to Detailing