What & Where & How - Detailing

Detaling and car washing techniques

Re: What & Where & How - Detailing

Postby JKeep2.5i » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Detailed my ride last week used mothers 3 step systems/clay bar worked a treat! what a difference it does make, anyways since this being my first time ever detailing, I think I have stupidly gotten some wax on the windshield, must of grabbed the wrong towel :S haha any ideas how to get rid of it? tried some windex but it hasn't seem to work how I thought it would, ideas guys?? Much appreciated :)
MY04 Liberty 2.5i wagon 5MT[Team White]P plates
surfsnowsubarus
JKeep2.5i
-stickered-

Car: MY04 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14989

Postby hamish_023 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:50 pm

wax would be fine on windows. :? should wipe straight off without any need of a water or chemicals.

are you sure it was wax?
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby JKeep2.5i » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:39 pm

hamish_023 wrote:wax would be fine on windows. :? should wipe straight off without any need of a water or chemicals.

are you sure it was wax?

Well I thought it was? Maybe it was polish or detail spray, there just seems to be something that makes marks when using the wondsrceen wipers ?
MY04 Liberty 2.5i wagon 5MT[Team White]P plates
surfsnowsubarus
JKeep2.5i
-stickered-

Car: MY04 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14989

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:31 am

One of the links took me to 'that' part of youtube again,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ghqWdSP ... re=related
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Deep Heat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Lib_seanmau5 wrote:One of the links took me to 'that' part of youtube again,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ghqWdSP ... re=related

Double bagger.
Jack_Keaka wrote: I like my women like subarus, box explodes and does a head easily.
Deep Heat
formerly Twinkle

Postby Boostaddict » Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 pm

If your doing the 'right' way. Correctly detailing your car will require steps and a few of them. Wash-clay bar-cleaner-sealent/glaze-then wax. Couple of things. Combo cleaner polishers are a good alternate to the previous and wont break the bank or your back and mother cleaner carnauba is a good one. When you do go down the track of the above and the hours of work required to do so. When you get to the end and you are applying the pure carnauba wax (only if its the pure stuff) you can layer it on and appy 5-6 layers so that it will last for aaaaagggggeeess. I have done this myself when i had my black b4 and it took damn near 12hours. I actually drove the car from sydney to bateman bay 4.5hrs away and it rained on the way down and when i got down there the car had not a single bit of dirt or dryed rain on it.

And before you ask i 'used' to work for the company that imported and sold Mother's car care products.

Hopefully some helpfull hints
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
Boostaddict

Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Postby rooby » Sat May 19, 2012 12:01 am

hamish_023 wrote:rainx anti fog = FAIL

It works ok for bathroom mirrors for about 3-4 weeks but for the windscreen of cars it does NOTHING. It also makes the glass look worse after 3-4 weeks as it streaks and seems to collect the condensations and stuff in the car.

I know that post was a while back but I definitely agree.
I recently did rainx original on the out and anti fog on the in and the anti fog was crap. Absolutely not worth whatever you paid for it.
The original was pretty good but I don't know how long it will last. In the couple of weeks after I did it there was a fair. Bit of rain and using my wipers and the effect faded a fair bit.

Seems to work very well in heavier rain but with fine droplets it can actually make things worse because the droplets cover the whole glass and aren't large enough to easily blow off.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby SYM » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 pm

I've just came back from a trip up to the hunter, and now my tyres are all brownish (ie. not a nice black)

Apart from applying some straight ol fashioned elbow grease, soapy water and a brush to the tyres (before applying some tyre shine gel), are there any good pointers/techniques to get the best effect out of washing and scrubbing the tyres?
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby Kekotic » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 pm

SYM wrote:I've just came back from a trip up to the hunter, and now my tyres are all brownish (ie. not a nice black)

Apart from applying some straight ol fashioned elbow grease, soapy water and a brush to the tyres (before applying some tyre shine gel), are there any good pointers/techniques to get the best effect out of washing and scrubbing the tyres?

Every 6 months (about 5,000km for me) I usually take my wheels off the car and give them a good proper scrubbing while also cleaning the wheel arch area / suspension. I do this and rotate the tyres at the same time.
I used to use (before I knew better) the Meguiars Hot wheels cleaner stuff, but to be honest it's pretty fucking bad. Highly acidic. Do not recommend.

Try something like Poorboys All Purpose Cleaner and put that in some warm water or even spray directly on to the tyres and scrub with something really abrasive.
http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?optio ... 8&Itemid=1

Also for a good tyre shine, use PERL.
http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?optio ... 7&Itemid=1
Water soluble so you can change dilutions for tyres (100%) and other parts like front lip (50-100%), Grille plus anything else black on the car.....windshield cover/door rubbers etc (50-100%)

I should really get around to updating this thread some day soon.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby SYM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Kieran

Thanks for the recommendations.. I bought the poorboys and perl from waxit, and delivered in 2 days

Applied the perl this morning, and it's looking pretty good!
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby norbs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Just spent the morning washing and waxing.

Gave the Mothers 'California Gold' Synthetic Wax a shot http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05716.html. I must say that it is piss easy to apply and buff off and the results are great. Been doing some reading up on it and is getting good reviews. The only problem is the price :twisted:
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby Rednobius » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 am

Does anyone have any recommendation on scratch removal techniques for the interior silver trim around the shifter/headunit etc? PlastX seems to be for clear plastics only?

Like this:
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (112.13 KiB) Viewed 9032 times
Rednobius

Postby madix » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am

You can use PlastX on it and it will remove the scratch (eventually) but you'll end up with a glossy finish. Your best bet would be to treat the whole piece with PlastX so it matches or just replace it.
madix

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 pm

So this afternoon while leaving work to visit another site I noticed quite a sizeable collection of bird shit on my bootlid.. Thought to myself 'hmmmmm, needs a wash, all the more reason to get it done.'

Made it to my destination and stupidly decided to use one of those car wash places in the car park of the shopping centre. All was good and 2 hours later picked my car up.

Upon returning home and having a better look in the light I noticed that the bird shit has left a sticky residue and the car cleaners have scratched literally, 'THE FUCK' out of my paint. So long story short:
1) - how do I remove the bird shit residue and
2) - the scratches are quite substantial and swirly and white; how would one suggest I correct it?

I'm not taking it back to them, purely in fear of them fucking it up even more.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby hamish_023 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Sean do you have a picture of the issue?
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

PreviousNext

Return to Detailing