Headlight hazing

Detaling and car washing techniques

Headlight hazing

Postby hamish_023 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:27 pm

How do you get rid of slightly oxidised headlights?

I used Meguiars PlasticX but doesn't really seem to work.

Any one had the same problem? It isn't internal hazing.
Last edited by hamish_023 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Re: Headlight hazing

Postby teK-- » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 pm

You can get specific headlight restoration kits.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Woodduck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:20 pm

Dont use cut and polish on them. I got a bit of polish on of my headlights and it started to eat away at the plastic which landed me in a similar boat as what your in.

Iv used the headlight restoration kits. They work ok. At first you think they're amazing but eventully the clear layer comes off a little and reveals some scratching underneath (still usually less noticeable than before using the kit). Make sure if you use one to take time to do it properly and DONT wash your car for a couple of days afterward. I made this mistake the first time i did it. I washed the car the following morning and my headlights ended up with permanent watermarks in them. They are definantly worth it if your headlights are pretty stuffed...but if its just a matter of being fussy id consider leaving it. That said, i did use the same brand both times iv done it, both kits were about $50. Maybe more expensive ones would be better?
'06 LIBERTY 3.0R SPEC B SEDAN --- 6SP Manual - 19" Kahn RS-V rims - V-Tune - STI Short Shifter - Tein S-techs - Corazon Grill - Phats Quad Mufflers - STi front lip - Brembo brakes with slotted rotors - More to come ;)

Woodduck

Car: '06 3.0R spec B

Postby vp920b » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 am

Do what Jim says.

Headlight restoration kit from Turtle wax. You should get a great turnover by then.
vp920b

Car: 1992 Liberty RS

Postby Nottage969 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:38 pm

I used some Cut and Polish on mine the day after i bought the car (not so long ago), and mine were pretty scratched and beaten up...It came up not too bad, and got rid of quite a majority of the fine scratches that were on there... I of course started in a bottom corner before i did the whole headlight just to be sure. I also have found that after washing it twice since, that they're starting to head back to how they were initially...

I might consider giving one of this Headlight Restoration kits a go...Any specific recommendations on where to purchase one from?

(First post :D hahaha)

Cheers
MY03 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5L Special Edition 5spd Manual - Silver

Single-tip Junbl Muffler
18x7 Spec B Alloy Wheels
Pioneer Headdeck and 6.5" Splits
Nottage969

Car: Silver MY03 RX Special Ed.

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:43 pm

wow this is a old thread. i fixed this by giving it a light polishing compound on a dual action buffer then went down to a final finish and then sealed it with zaino sealant..

p.s welcome post an intro
hamish_023

Postby garbo41610 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

I might consider giving one of this Headlight Restoration kits a go...Any specific recommendations on where to purchase one from?

If you do decide to possibly think about contemplating restoring your headlights, I am sure Car Care Products will have something that will work www.carcareproducts.com.au I have been using them for all my stuff for the last 18months or so. I have even put orders in after lunch and they were delivered the following day.
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 pm

+1 Carcareproducts and Waxit are great!
hamish_023

Postby Nottage969 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:17 pm

hamish_023 wrote:p.s welcome post an intro

Wasn't gonna post one until I was home and could upload a few photo's, but you convinced me otherwise!! :P

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11655

garbo41610 wrote:

If you do decide to possibly think about contemplating restoring your headlights, I am sure Car Care Products will have something that will work http://www.carcareproducts.com.au I have been using them for all my stuff for the last 18months or so. I have even put orders in after lunch and they were delivered the following day.

I did see a recommendation to that site on another thread somewhere earlier, but silly me didn't bother to check it before I asked for a recommendation here... I shall definitely check that out before I go buying something, sounds like fantastic service.

Cheers for the good welcome :)

Single-tip Junbl Muffler
18x7 Spec B Alloy Wheels
Nottage969

Postby garbo41610 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Nottage969 wrote:
hamish_023 wrote:p.s welcome post an intro

Wasn't gonna post one until I was home and could upload a few photo's, but you convinced me otherwise!! :P

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11655

garbo41610 wrote:

If you do decide to possibly think about contemplating restoring your headlights, I am sure Car Care Products will have something that will work http://www.carcareproducts.com.au I have been using them for all my stuff for the last 18months or so. I have even put orders in after lunch and they were delivered the following day.

I did see a recommendation to that site on another thread somewhere earlier, but silly me didn't bother to check it before I asked for a recommendation here... I shall definitely check that out before I go buying something, sounds like fantastic service.

Cheers for the good welcome :)

Quiet word to the wise, when you go to the "checkout" when you are buying online, there will be a text box for promotion codes. In here type the word "rexnet" without the ""s for a 10% discount. It's an old promotion code from the rexnet forum that they haven't cancelled yet.

I would bring it to their attention but I have spent nearly $2,000 on that website in 18months so I think I deserve a bit of a discount LOL.
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby hamish_023 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 pm

that code is still actually active. they are promoted when it goes through so it's no secret lol
hamish_023

Postby Nottage969 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh beautiful! :) thanks heaps! :)

Single-tip Junbl Muffler
18x7 Spec B Alloy Wheels
Nottage969

Headlight hazing

Postby JDGT05 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:01 pm

So heaps of people have seemed to try different things, but all seems to result in them ending up back where they started after 'X' amount of time. Has anyone come up with a permanent or longer lasting solution?
Now driving the mighty 86 :)
JDGT05

Car: STI Spec Forester
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14065

Postby hamish_023 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:25 pm

The best way to do it is tape up the plastic and rubber around the headlights, use fine polish on a machine polish and work it. Once clear then give it a clean with Alcohol and use a permanent coating like opticoat or get a professional to apply opticoat. I almost everything from plastic X etc and they were crap.
hamish_023

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:17 pm

I found out by accident that the 'quick wax' spray on wax products do a good job at reducing headlight haze. Obviously not what these products are designed for so use with caution.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Next

Return to Detailing