WAX vs POLISH

Detaling and car washing techniques

WAX vs POLISH

Postby 06 blitzen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:56 pm

in the detailing process we choose to wax and polish our cars.....i was looking for your feedback on wax's and polish's that you guys use on your car.

Mine is a black car and i use a autoglym polish (for dark black cars)...and i use a mothers pure carnooba wax.

i have in a box also a others wax claiming to be a cleaning wax????what is the difference? they both say they are pure carnooba but one specifies cleaning
2006 Liberty BLITZEN
Twin Stainless Exhaust, HKS Panel Filter, RREV S Type Spoiler, Eyelids, Outback Bonnet, HID's
06 blitzen

Car: 06 blitzen

Re: WAX vs POLISH

Postby vp920b » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Well, Wax and Polish was 2 different category.

Wax only protecting paint, without vanishing the contaminants and etc.

While Polish can remove contaminants, swirl, scratch, depending on what kind of polish you buy.

Autoglym polish I can guess it's the SRP, which is super resin polish. It's not pure polish from what I knew. It's all in one product, where cut, polish, wax become one, but basically it's only cover up your swirls and protecting paint. Cleaning wax is an AIO product, so cover up your paint, and restore the depth of your color.

All have their own purposes. If you want fast, yes you buy that all in one product, but it only cover up swirl and basically it's like wax with a filler. AIO not strong enough to remove swirl, scratch or contaminants.

While if you want greater cleaning, try to buy such as Ultimate Compound, Scratch X, Swirl X which is easy to find out everywhere. Don't be afraid with the word compound if you're using hand mode polishing. It will never ever cut your paint unless go to rotary polisher.

For protecting, yes, using a wax, which is to cover up your paint.

Hope helps.

Cheers

Naldo
vp920b

Car: 1992 Liberty RS

Postby ROB-80E » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Great info above...thanks Naldo.

I also use both polish and a wax (on a normal maintaining basis). I use Meguiar's Deep Chrystal Polish and then cover it in either Carnauba Wax or NXT Gen Tech Wax.

I'm thinking i'm going to have to get me some of that Ultimate Compound though to use after the clay bar...I've just bought the GT and I've got to give it a detail from the ground up.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.
ROB-80E

Car: MY07 GT Wagon & EVO IX

Postby vp920b » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks Rob.

Yes, for hand mode, use Ultimate compound, faster yet stronger than usual Deep crystal.

Don't forget to wipe it after polishing, because polish not as same as wax which we need to wait and dry, then wipe off.

Cheers Rob

Naldo
vp920b

Postby hamish_023 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:20 am

If there is currently a new layer of wax on the car atm do you need to strip the wax then polish the car then reapply wax
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby vp920b » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:21 pm

hamish_023 wrote:If there is currently a new layer of wax on the car atm do you need to strip the wax then polish the car then reapply wax

Not necessarily. If you want to use a new layer of wax, yes you need to strip it down.

If you want just to apply more layer, just adding it up, and all should be fine.

Polish is something that if needed, so not necessarily need to do polish. You can apply AIO product if not just straight to wax, give 2-3 layers of wax should give a good looks and durability.

Cheers
vp920b

Postby hamish_023 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 pm

difference between thick coat of wax and 2-3 light coats?
hamish_023

Postby vp920b » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:19 pm

hamish_023 wrote:difference between thick coat of wax and 2-3 light coats?

Thick coat of wax can make your car smearing, which like an over wax. Paint looks not so clear in the end(this can be the effect and some not), it's like a bit cloudy plus it will be heavy to wipe it down.

Giving 2-3 thin coats, won't make your hand tired or make the paint cloudy. It will be crystal clear.

Make sure using a good applicator pad with a good quality microfibre, so wipe down or apply should be easy. Give another shot of Ultimate Quick Detailer or Ultimate Quick Wax, it's a spray wax that can protect for 2-3 times of wash and make your dark color pop out.

Cheers
vp920b

Postby champ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:03 am

Naldo, I've read your post about the Ultimate Quick Detailer and the Ultimate Quick Wax, however I could only get the Quik Detailer (Mist & Wipe) and the Quik Wax (Shine As You Dry) from the local shop. Do you know what the difference is with the Ultimates?
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby vp920b » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:23 am

champ wrote:Naldo, I've read your post about the Ultimate Quick Detailer and the Ultimate Quick Wax, however I could only get the Quik Detailer (Mist & Wipe) and the Quik Wax (Shine As You Dry) from the local shop. Do you know what the difference is with the Ultimates?

The ultimate is the new improved technology, where they got the water beading and sheeting technology, forgot what's the technology called. Oh I remember now, hydrophobic technology.

The shine and durability also improved, rather than the non ultimate product. They also easier to use, specifically for the Ultimate Quick Wax vs. Quick wax.

If you don't have in local store, I think one of the member here selling a meguiar's product.

If not, you can always buy from ebay.

Anyway, it doesn't mean you can change from Liquid wax/Paste wax into this one, since this is only to help for enhance color, give a bit protection, but not a substitution for a wax. As it called a spray/quick wax.

Cheers

Naldo
vp920b

Postby hamish_023 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Haven't tired their quick wax.

Edit: Has any one used ColourX before?
Last edited by hamish_023 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamish_023

Postby champ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks mate, might get me some of those ultimate next time... and what was advertised as a 15min quik wax turned into a 1.5 hours long exercise for me and the missus. I think those ads tend to exaggerate abit. :roll:
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby Kekotic » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:52 pm

I'll just chime in here, Meguiars ultimate quick wax (spray on) is very very good for what it is.
When I first took my car to Naldo, he asked me what wax I was using to make it bead water so well, and I told him it was just the Meguiars ultimate quick wax.

If you can keep your car clean enough, wash once every 2 weeks properly, then meguiars ultimate detailer + ultimate quick wax 2-3 times a fortnight will keep your paint in top notch condition.
Then keep the serious stuff (clay, machine polish and proper wax) for every 4-6 months.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby hamish_023 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm

After watching couple of youtube videos maybe i will give it a go...

- Can you use on glass?
- Just spray on and wipe off with a micro fibre towel?
hamish_023

Postby Kekotic » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Hamish a very good question, and one I can answer properly as of today.

Generally I would use the quick detailer / ultimate detailer on my glass as a pre cleaner and then I might throw on some RAINX original on the front windscreen for the best in water beading (don't have to use your wipers after about 70km/h)

Last weekend Naldo told me he uses the ultimate quick wax for windows as it beads the water quite well, and I would agree with that to an extent. I put it on my windows Saturday night for todays cruise.

It doesn't bead water as well as RAINX (maybe 1/4 as well....yes RAINX really is that good), and also it leaves a residue on your initial wipe of your wipers at the stopping point in the middle of the windscreen, but I found using a spray of my wiper fluid (has an additive) removed that residue straight away, but regular rain wouldn't remove it immediately.

Next time I would use the ultimate wax on the windows again exception being front windscreen...explained later, because it beads the water enough for the entire car except maybe the front windscreen, only because I have come from RAINX and....well that is just in a league of it's own.
The problem with RAINX original, is it is an absolute IRISHGT to properly put on. If you want it done right, you're going to want to wipe very very hard on your windscreen to apply in a circular motion to get the hydrophobic alcohol stuff in to the pores of the glass, but then you have to wipe off the fogging residue after that, AND THEN do it again. And it's very labour intensive, so if you want a bit of beading on all your windows ultimate quick wax is great as it requires no effort, RAINX on the other hand needs some serious sweat to get properly done, but the pay off is worth it in the end too.

I have read up on RAINX and it' formula, and it's a silicone oil dissolved in an alcohol mix, so it's not something that you can just whip up with any accuracy.
Yes you can just throw some silicone on your windscreen if you want to save money, but you will get some serious wiper shudder, and also the alcohol helps the silicone break up and fill in the pores of the glass.

TLDR; ultimate quick wax is good on your windows, just not RAINX good.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Next

Return to Detailing