DIY Valet Tune?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

DIY Valet Tune?

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Is there an easy to way to modify a Tune in eg ECUFlash to create a Valet Tune?
I'd like to limit Power/Boost when leaving the car with someone, ie. to avoid joyriding. Or maybe just by limiting Throttle Opening angle?

At the moment I use an adjustable RPM Limiter (mainly used for LaunchControl & FlatFoot Shifting) adjusted for Valet Mode. That limits my car to 4000RPM or whatever I set it to.
But when it hits that limiter, it's pretty harsh. Almost like someone slammed on the brakes :lol:. That'll stop an unsuspecting driver very quickly, but I'd rather have a reduced power Tune that doesn't make the car feel like it's broken.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Re: DIY Valet Tune?

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:08 pm

I think the best solution would actually be to get an AVO throttle controller, and hide it slightly, and simply turn it wayyyy down.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:43 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:I think the best solution would actually be to get an AVO throttle controller, and hide it slightly, and simply turn it wayyyy down.

Thanks HardwareBoB, that's an option. But with my '08 ECU being fully tuneable, it should be possible to edit some values (eg Target Boost, or Throttle Position Limit).
I can quickly flash the new tune on before I take it somewhere, and I'm set. It's easy and free :).
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:47 pm

tom_kauf wrote:
HardwareBoB wrote:I think the best solution would actually be to get an AVO throttle controller, and hide it slightly, and simply turn it wayyyy down.

Thanks HardwareBoB, that's an option. But with my '08 ECU being fully tuneable, it should be possible to edit some values (eg Target Boost, or Throttle Position Limit).
I can quickly flash the new tune on before I take it somewhere, and I'm set. It's easy and free :).

Oh, absolutely, I can do the same thing on mine, but I was thinking about the easiest and quickest way to do it. Actually you could make it so that s mode and I mode have low boost and throttle response and they have to enable s# to use it. Not going to stop someone, but it will keep your car Tame for normal people.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby vinshonz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 pm

why not just leave it in "i" mode?
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:09 pm

vinshonz wrote:why not just leave it in "i" mode?

Even in 'I' mode, I'd say my car on E85 is fast enough to hoon around in. Especially since most of the cars that eg. a tyre place gets are boring slow mum-mobiles. And even if someone doesn't know about the SI-Drive dial, it'd be pretty easy to work out (especially the S# button so prominent on the steering wheel).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:09 pm

Got it!!! :D

Partial thanks to http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-help-creating-valet-map-108188.html

I edited the 3 'Requested Torque' tables in ECUFlash.

All SI-Drive modes are like 'I' now, and the Torque Table Column values are copied across from 50% onwards (which is actually lower than the 200 they mentioned on Legacy GT, my max is 185). So even at WOT in S#, it's like at 50% throttle in 'I'.

I went for a quick drive, and the car is SOOOOO SLOW :lol: . It's perfectly drivable (so better than the RPM limit I had before), but 0-100km/h is easily 15sec+.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby muzza » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Great suggestions Tom - been meaning to try this myself, but being complete noob to editing didn't want to screw up - useful guides - thanks!

So, opened the stock ROM, then in the Drive by Wire RT tables I just copied 50% in "I" mode all across to the right, then copied the whole "I" table to both "S" and "S#" RT tables - correct? Max RT value is now 230. Then "saved as" a valet tune.

For good measure I altered the rev fuel cut to On above 6005, Off below 5961 rpm. Probably unnecessary but just a bit extra!

Does that sound like I have done it right? Or will the fuel cut screw with something else? Pink metatdata label shows altered data yes?
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi muzza,
Yeah, that sounds exactly right. The lower the values are, the lower Torque you'll get. So there's no risk in making them a bit lower.
My maximum at 50% was only 185, so you could even go lower, but your 230 is probably slow enough.
And yes, pink ones are the tables that have been changed.

The fuel cut-off is a good idea as well. That'll be your new Rev limit (so about 800RPM lower than normal). I doubt anyone will bother revving it to redline when the car is so slow to get there. But it's definitely a good safety margin to have.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby muzza » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Cool, thanks mate. Very useful to be able to do this, especially leaving the car with places that may, or may not, respect other people's stuff.

Now, just need to load it up and give it a try, just make sure it's tame, and not exciting enough for some twat to want to go flog it when he thinks no ones looking... :assassin:
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Return to Tuning