Flex Fuel Tune for Gen V GT?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Flex Fuel Tune for Gen V GT?

Postby leigh » Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 am

I had a search around but couldn't find the info other than US sites, was wondering if the Gen V GTs can be tuned to run a flex fuel? So automatically sensing ratio of unleaded and ethanol and altering the maps to suit?

Also what is required to run e85? Fuel pump? Changing rubber fuel lilnes?
leigh

Car: Liberty GT MY05 and XR6 Turbo

Re: Flex Fuel Tune for Gen V GT?

Postby leigh » Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 am

IT seems I found the thread I was looking for after all, was about a H6. Matt from Kido says he can tune for e85 in a flex fuel setup now.

So is it only fuel pump I need to change in the fuel system? DW65C pump?
leigh

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 27, 2016 11:40 pm

Depends on your other mods if any and your ultimate power goal.
Generally e85 can provide 20-30% more power at the same boost level, but that's no good if say you're already at the limit of stock injectors or eg pump.
Iirc on the stock setup, the addition of upgrade pump and fpr running higher base pressure can support stock injectors at around 15psi.
Once you go a bigger turbo or higher psi, then id1000's are a good addition.
If matt has sorted virtual flex fuel for your ECU then that's a start, otherwise you may get an e85 specific tune or require the addition of an ethanol sensor and other mods for a flex fuel tune.
It's something I'm researching, so in for clarification re Gen4 & 5...
It's a good thing either for moar headroom or for engine decarbonising pre oil changes :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby leigh » Sat May 28, 2016 6:07 am

Thanks.

The car will remain stock, I have an XR6 Turbo for fun, this is the family chariot. Goal is simply to be able to run e85 or 98 and I obviously unleash the potential of the hardware in the engine bay with just a tune and the components needed to facilitate e85 from corroding and fuel components.

If I have read correctly only a fuel pump is needed to run e85? Or is FPR also on the list? Rubber hoses?
leigh

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat May 28, 2016 8:29 am

Your tuner can advise, but iirc, do the intank filter and pump upgrade, fpr may be required to support higher boost, otherwise max boost may need to be limited to preserve injector duty cycle.

Going e85 will strip a lot of varnish from the fuel system, thus a new intank filter is recommended along with an upgrade pump at some point during the e85 run in phase of the process.

Ultimately VFFT, or a flex fuel tune using an ethanol sensor will be more versatile allowing 98 or e85 or a mixture of both, safely.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Tuning