Auto Throttle Blip on down-shift?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Auto Throttle Blip on down-shift?

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:24 pm

I just discovered the are some manual Libertys that have a Tune with Auto Throttle Blip on down-shifts :clapping:

Does anyone have that on their Liberty in Aus?
I didn't know that was possible (apart from some modern cars like the 370Z having that from factory).

The tunes I know of are uhm....*cough* ecutek :? *cough*. So there's no way I'd want to do that to get auto throttle blip, but still a cool feature!

I could just practice my heel & toeing, but auto rev-matching sounds like much more fun.
Last edited by tom_kauf on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Re: Auto Throttle Blip on down-shift?

Postby Surge » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:59 am

I'm pretty sure Matt (kido tuning) could get that done for you and that would mean you could avoid ecutek.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby RX25SE » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:00 am

Just heel toe.

I have to admit, I have only ever heard of this on autos.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeah I'll ask Matt one day :).

And yes, neither had I. If you watch eg a 370Z test drive video (at least on the Nismo version, not sure about the base model), the drivers love how the MT blips on down shifts.
Here is one forum member who had it on his For Sale description:
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30901
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:11 pm

I tested it in LGT's since i have it in Foresters and STi's and WRXs, the LGT computer didnt like it. Will take another look at it but I suspect its the gear ratios are wrong in the factory software
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:20 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:I tested it in LGT's since i have it in Foresters and STi's and WRXs, the LGT computer didnt like it. Will take another look at it but I suspect its the gear ratios are wrong in the factory software

Thank you, that'd be awesome :D
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:12 am

I like the sound of this. Shame I missed you just recently Matt. Will have to hook up next time your down
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby roh008 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:40 am

The 370z have had that function in their manual box since at least 2009 as my brother-in-law has this function. Very useful if you can't heel and toe properly. (Also those pedals aren't set up properly to do so - if you are average at doing it, like me)

I run an Auto MY11 WRX STI. Same 5EAT tranny as in the LGT. I'm not sure if it's the same TCU unit though.
THe question is why would one need a blip in an auto box? Changing gears manually is longer and therefore requires the blip compared even to a non DSG box. I don't get immediate engine breaking when changing down.

In sports # mode and full auto, which I don't use often, under heavy breaking it drops the gear early, to keep the revs high, I don't get instant engine breaking sensation like you would if you did that in a manual gear box.
roh008

Car: WRX STI MY11 5EAT

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:43 am

While this sounds cool, I've been heel toeing for 15+ years and it seems to be working, so I'm not beating down any doors to get it added.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:22 am

roh008 wrote:The 370z have had that function in their manual box since at least 2009 as my brother-in-law has this function. Very useful if you can't heel and toe properly. (Also those pedals aren't set up properly to do so - if you are average at doing it, like me)

I run an Auto MY11 WRX STI. Same 5EAT tranny as in the LGT. I'm not sure if it's the same TCU unit though.
THe question is why would one need a blip in an auto box? Changing gears manually is longer and therefore requires the blip compared even to a non DSG box. I don't get immediate engine breaking when changing down.

In sports # mode and full auto, which I don't use often, under heavy breaking it drops the gear early, to keep the revs high, I don't get instant engine breaking sensation like you would if you did that in a manual gear box.

Throttle blip is to settle the car during braking. You do not get that 'jolt' from rev matching in the auto, that Brembo brakes slowing the car so quickly can prevent the shifts from catching up etc. It also makes the car easier to drive on a wet windy mountain road(where our local MY12 STi Auto Impreza owner drives his 90% of the time)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby t.renshaw34 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Learn something new every day then. I had always thought throttle blip was so you could come into the next gear at peak boost and scream up to red line again :D
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby roh008 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:24 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Throttle blip is to settle the car during braking. You do not get that 'jolt' from rev matching in the auto, that Brembo brakes slowing the car so quickly can prevent the shifts from catching up etc. It also makes the car easier to drive on a wet windy mountain road(where our local MY12 STi Auto Impreza owner drives his 90% of the time)

I agree it' stop settle the car during gear changes. I thought the Manuals suffer from this unsettling more due to the time it takes to manual engage and disengage the clutch, hence those who can, heel and toe. However, I'm confused now Matt are you saying that a) Autos suffer from this but not as much as manuals and b) you are able to get this function in MY11+ Auto STI?
roh008

Car: WRX STI MY11 5EAT

Postby muzza » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:05 pm

Just another 2c worth in addition to the car balance benefits re: throttle blip.
In manuals it should reduce wear on the synchro rings in the box (second gear usually cops the most wear) as the speed change between the higher and lower gear should be quite small if you get it right.
Another factor which relates to the above is the actual speed of the gear engagement should be faster if the synchro does not need to speed up the lower gear so the teeth can engage, it should slot in almost instantaneously.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:12 pm

I'm a blipper, love it.
When I grow up, I'll practice heel n toe and left foot braking for traction out of hairy corners :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Tuning