Can't shake the knock...

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Can't shake the knock...

Postby <GB> » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:43 pm

cynner wrote:Nup, just the kart boy shifter bushing. Also Nolathane front control arm bushes, but they had been in there a long time.

The instant we took out the kart boy shifter bushing, it stopped 95% of the feedback knock alerts I was getting on my bluetooth adaptor.

who told you to replace the engine and turbo?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby cynner » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:56 pm

My mechanic removed the sump (as I purchased a killer B pickup, thinking the old pickup may have been vibrating). When they removed the sump they found chunks of metal in the bottom, and they were able to wobble one of the rods up and down by hand.

Had also been told at one point that the knock was most definitely wastegate chatter. Replacing the wastegate didn't help, so out of frustration and impulse (after the engine didn't fix the issue) - I replaced the turbo.

So the old turbo was fine... the old engine definitely had issues, but who knows - it may have lasted another 50,000kms with a wobbly rod until the big end let go.
cynner

Car: MY08 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23586

Postby <GB> » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:23 pm

cynner wrote:My mechanic removed the sump (as I purchased a killer B pickup, thinking the old pickup may have been vibrating). When they removed the sump they found chunks of metal in the bottom, and they were able to wobble one of the rods up and down by hand.

Had also been told at one point that the knock was most definitely wastegate chatter. Replacing the wastegate didn't help, so out of frustration and impulse (after the engine didn't fix the issue) - I replaced the turbo.

So the old turbo was fine... the old engine definitely had issues, but who knows - it may have lasted another 50,000kms with a wobbly rod until the big end let go.

id be pissed off about the turbo and actuator! that's poor diagnosis
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Does your engine knock for about a second when you start it?
Mine does sometimes, and I also have an occasional knock alert when I blip the throttle while parking/reversing, or sometimes when cruising. Never seen knock when accelerating, only when manifold vacuum is just below zero
2004 Liberty GT Auto
2004 Forester
1987 Leone RX Turbo with EJ20G, 5sp AWD Dual Range and WRX brakes (Khanacross Toy)
Gyro Gearloose

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto, 87 Leone RX

Previous

Return to Tuning