Saikou Michi Catchcan Possible Group Buy

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Saikou Michi Catchcan Possible Group Buy

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Interested 8)
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:52 pm

And I'd also be keen on ordering any required hoses/fittings etc while we're at at it (so we don't need to source anything locally). I assume extra hose is required... I see SaikouMichi has various hoses for sale on their website, so can that be included in the order?
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:52 am

Bezza's revised spec:
I would ideally have them as below...

Both drain valves facing the front.
1/2" diameter on the right with both nipples facing forward.
3/4" on the left with the nipples at 45' degrees away from centre of the two cans.
Sides and directions given if you are looking at the cans from the front.

This will allow you to mount them in a front back orientation off the battery mount :good:

I'll mock it up in Photoshop :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:31 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Bezza's revised spec:
I would ideally have them as below...

Both drain valves facing the front.
1/2" diameter on the right with both nipples facing forward.
3/4" on the left with the nipples at 45' degrees away from centre of the two cans.
Sides and directions given if you are looking at the cans from the front.

This will allow you to mount them in a front back orientation off the battery mount :good:

I'll mock it up in Photoshop :)

Yeah, a picture would be great (photoshopped or not). :) Eventually it'd also be good to have one showing it in the engine bay. Because apart from the OzFox setup on the air-intake side (which isn't gonna work for me, since I'm not removing my stock intake), I've only seen a few other setups.
Last edited by tom_kauf on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Bugalugs » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 am

I'm interested. Keen to see price etc when it's known. Sounds great!
Phat Dump I TCP Quads I Kido Tune I HIDs I ...and loads of Plasti-dip
Bugalugs

Car: 05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:26 am

Bugalugs wrote:I'm interested. Keen to see price etc when it's known. Sounds great!

Lol, yeah that would be good too - no mention of price so far (apart from a rough idea of what others have paid for off-the-shelf-units).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Is this still happening? Otherwise I might contact SM myself.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm out!

I'm going a slightly different route and will deal directly with SM.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:26 am

Great! Can you keep us in the loop please?
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:33 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Great! Can you keep us in the loop please?

Sure. I'm without my car for 3 weeks (and will be away in Melb for 2 weeks on holidays, from Mon onwards). But once I'm back I will make a final decision on the design.

But I had a look and measured a fellow GTSpecB owner's car today, and I don't see *any way* of fitting 2 Catch Cans beside the battery. Even Bezzza's twin Saikou Michis required the removal of the washer fluid reservoir: (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17319&start=162). And I'm not keen on that.

Here's what's clear so far:

Price according to their website without any group-buy is $165 + postage from the US for 2 cans (may be as much as $230 + postage for 2 cans if going for the larger 3" diameter).
It takes at least a month for them to make the custom can - they're usually that busy from what I've read.

Don't order the design the OzFoz member had (diagram on previous page), with the 1/2" inlet/outlet on *LH* side. Unless you're planning to mount the cans on the intake side of the engine bay like he did. Bezzza correctly ordered the 1/2" inlet/outlet on the *RH* side, since he mounted them on the battery side of the engine bay (even if he did accidentally order 5/8" instead of 3/4" for the LH side).
But the drains should definitely be on the front like the OzFoz member and Bezzza had - not the bottom, because clearance is tight against the metal panel around the bottom of the battery.

The 'S1-DC3' cans that are in the previous page's diagram are usually 2.5" diameter x 6" high (plus inlets/outlets), not the 3" size that the OzFoz member ordered. ( http://www.saikoumichi.com/s1_dc3_oil_catch_can.html ). So you have to specify the larger size in the configuration diagram, if you want that. The 2.5" is the smallest that they have, 3" is the largest (2.75" is the medium size). My guess is he didn't just order the normal 3" 'S3-OCC' cans because they are 7" high.
But whatever, you'll either get a shortened 'S3-OCC' or a larger diameter 'S1-DC3' - just make the configuration diagram clear and you'll get what you're after.

I don't think going as small as 2.5" makes any difference to fitment - still can't fit 2 cans beside the battery. So may as well go with separate 'S1-Split DC3' cans, up-sized to 3" ( http://www.saikoumichi.com/SPLIT_DC3_page.htm ). *Tim, a fellow local GTSpecB owner has a catch can installed on the firewall just left (if looking forward) of the TMIC. So the second can could go there.*
Last edited by tom_kauf on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Does anyone know if there is a lot of pressure on the Crankcase breather hose and Head breather hose?
Because I will order hoses from SM too, just because I know it'll be top quality and prices seem reasonable at about $3/foot. But the only High PSI hose they have is 3/8", all others are not rated (Hoses almost at the very bottom: http://www.saikoumichi.com/general_product_list.html ).
So are we talking only a few PSI, or a lot more?

And unless you're planning to use some 90deg adaptor pieces, the inlet/outlets should definitely not be straight out like the OzFoz member's diagram on the previous page. I guess it depends how you run the hose. Like BBB posted earlier, Bezzza had his left can at 45deg, but even that wasn't far enough towards the rear. So he suggests having the LH one at 90deg, and the RH can towards the front: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17319&start=181

Finally, they offer a Sight Tube for an extra $10, which would be cool. Especially considering how close the OzFoz member came to his can overfilling :shock: : BBB posted the link earlier - And what do the cans collect!?

But it's a bit ugly imo, and just seems to be a clear soft plastic tube which will probably stain/yellow. I dunno, haven't decided on that one.

And to finish off their options (apart from the drain extension tube kit), this is their Ball Valve upgrade. That's not worth it for me, but may be if racing the car a lot and quick & frequent drains are required.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:20 am

The vent hoses do not pull or push a great deal of vacuum, eg the head breathers do not use clamps at the vent.
It's possible, desirable even to pull a vacuum on the CCV when the car is boosting, up to -14bar is possible in a drag car or -7 for a road car.

Thanks for aggregating all that info.
The SM cans are great value, but once we have a config that makes everyone happy, I'll get Russ to quote on a Kap Ind version.
He already does a single, long CC that fits below the snorkus for stealth, I've asked about a dual version already.

The cans can be located anywhere in the engine bay but with consideration for minimising low loops in the hosing to prevent pooling of blowby.
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 am

Cool, thanks for the info.

Ah, interesting! I hadn't heard about their Catchcans. A stealth install would be right up my alley :D.
And if they are reasonably priced (say less than double a SM setup), we may as well go that route. Because installing the second can is still an issue. Tim's setup required drilling a bracket into the firewall, which I'm not keen on either.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 am

The SM dual cc setup could also be mounted in that spot afaik, but I've pm'd Russ about it...
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:14 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:The SM dual cc setup could also be mounted in that spot afaik, but I've pm'd Russ about it...

Thanks Ben. Against the firewall is pretty hidden as well (especially if still using the full engine cover). I'm very interested in any option that doesn't require any fabricating or drilling. I'm happy to remove anything to install it, but would be good if brackets etc were supplied.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning