PSA: BtSsm OBDII Gauges, Logging & LV for Android devices

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: PSA: BtSsm OBDII Gauges, Logging & LV for Android device

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:57 pm

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.ph ... tcount=335

Btssm Bluetooth obdii plugs are available again.

Great if you want the convenience of BT vs Tactrix or vagcom (clear blue casing/usb A) via OTG.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Btssm summary:
Virtual gauges, logging and Learning View, using Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) OBDII protocol on any Android device with OTG.

Btssm app from playstore,

Aussie eBay vendor clear blue case usb A plug VagCom,

Any Android device with OTG, (use the “OTG?” app from playstore to check your device)

eBay OTG to usb A female adapter if/as required for your android device.

Use this guide, the Btssm online manual and other related FAQ’s to get started.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20196&start=0

There may be issues with certain brand new devices running the latest android version, best check the lgt Btssm thread v2 for updates regarding.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... ost5892434

Otherwise, the app works well on even ancient Android devices and Android versions eg Samsung SGSi900 for example.

Of course Btssm also works with BT connection using specific BT OBDII plugs as discussed on the Btssm website: www.btssm.com.
bigBADbenny

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Basic diagnostics for libs:

Basic checks.

Log avcs vvt angles with Btssm or Romraider at 1700-2000rpm in neutral and in gear on the freeway, look for vvt angle oscillation, lag or inactivity.
If either issue is revealed, swap avcs oil control solenoid side to side to see if the issue follows the affected solenoid.
If so, replace both ocv solenoids.
If the issue doesn’t follow, check the ocv oil supply banjo bolts for blocked screens.
Very rarely, an avcs cam gear may be jammed with debris or via incorrect installation, usually in this instance it will be locked at a particular angle as revealed by logging.

For dual avcs prefl 2.0t, check if the exhaust avcs solenoids are leaking, the loom can suck oil all the way back to the ecu plug, causing multiple issues.

Log per cylinder misfires.
If misfiring, check spark plug condition and swap around coil pack on the affected cylinder to check if the fault is cylinder or coil pack related, or coil pack loom plug related (usually broken plug clip).

Get an LV (learning view) whilst you’re at it.
LV will reveal inlet leaks, IAM (low IAM = failsafe mode).

Pressure test inlet tract with smoke or dilute detergent bubbles from a trigger spray bottle.

The most basic inlet pressure test is to get someone to rev the car in neutral, whilst you spray the bov, tmic etc with soapy water, looking for air leaks as the car will boost from vacuum to 0psi.

From there, block off the entry of the short fat bit (post maf) and apply any type of low pressure (breath, bike pump etc) car off, spray soapy water.
From there add smoke to the air starting at 1psi, either way have a strong torch handy for inspection.

Also check if your fpr is hooked up to the lhs rear inlet manifold runner. Symptom: backfire under boost.

Gently cleaning the maf is a good idea, use crc maf cleaner on both the inlet temp sensor directly, and the maf wire indirectly via the adjacent air tube.
Be sure to carefully reseat the maf using a little grease to make sure the maf o ring is not pinched. Blow out or replace the air filter at the same time.

In addition to the stock turbo inlet pipe rotting due to accumulated blow by where it meets the turbo,
the stock intercooler to throttlebody pipe is a known issue due to its gasket design at the outlet to the throttlebody.
Inspect, use a quality t-bolt clamp/s eg murray or oetiker stepless, and preferably upgrade to a silicone TB hose eg AVO or Kobe.

Other basic sanity checks are related, visual inspection with a strong torch and inspection mirror of all head breather hoses, boost control and fuel purge hoses, their originating connections, joins and return to the turbo inlet pipe. With age and miles, these pipes and hoses can harden and crack, usually where the fault can’t be seen, eg on the lower side (gravity) or engine side (more heat).

Also if removing the top mount intercooler, pull the pcv at the rear of the inlet manifold, inspect, clean or replace it.

Since you recently had the in tank fuel filter changed, there’s also the possibility of an incorrect reinstallation, usually related to missing, pinched o-rings or not using double o-rings on an aftermarket fuel pump outlet.
If inspecting the bucket and filter assembly, be sure to check the loom connection plug on top of the assy for burnt or corroded pins.
This check would have also been performed during your recent recall/inspection.

H6
Get Btssm and log avcs and vvl angles, per cylinder misfires, neutral position and clutch sensors, make an LV as well.
Visually inspect the oil pressure sensor/s for leakage.
Pressure test inlet tract post maf for vacuum leaks.
Clean the maf, directly on the inlet temp sensor, indirectly for the maf wire, taking care not to pinch the o ring on reinstalling.
Blow out or replace the air filter at the same time.
Faulty brake lights or non resistor led tails can induce failsafe mode on some models, as can vdc issues related to the steering sensor in the clockspring.

H6 avcs & vvl:
Because just like gen4 turbo avcs and davcs,
H6 avcs and vvl are a self calibrating system using the crank and cam position sensors, plus the vvl oil pressure sensor.
Over time, the avcs solenoids get out of whack, the ecu tries to overdrive the lagging solenoid resulting in vvt angle oscillation or inactivity.
The vvl system is apparently more reliable but still subject to wear and tear especially as regards the dedicated oil pressure sensor adjacent the engine oil pressure sensor.
Thus logging is the key to verifying the fault if any.
bigBADbenny

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:46 pm

I was helping out a buddy via messenger, he was having trouble grasping the basics.
Here’s what I wrote, but this info needs proofreading!

But to go back to basics:
Air fuel fire...
The essentials for an internal combustion engine.

By air we mean the inlet air as measured by the maf: airflow and inlet air temperature.
Obviously we need accurately measured air in the inlet and exhaust too, meaning no leaks before or after the turbo.

But also compression, which is essential for the piston to turn the crank.
Compression is also related to valve timing eg timing belt, cams, avcs (as controlled by the ecu)

Fuel: fuel delivery, pressurised by the pump and regulator, filtered for contaminants.

Fire: spark plugs, coil packs, ignition timing as controlled by the ecu.

The car also uses air fuel ratio and oxygen sensors for closed and open loop fuelling based on other sensors eg air pressure (map), airflow and temperature (maf).

When all these factors are in check eg good your learning view (LV) will generally look good.

If not, analysis of the log of tuning and related sensor parameters is useful.

So your car might have issues related to inlet or post turbo leaks: inlet pressure test (with the car not running) to 1psi. Use smoke or bubbles.
Usual suspects: turbo inlet boot, throttlebody hose.

Spark plug or coilpacks, lookup how to read the plugs and replace with stock if required.
Coilpacks swap around to see if misfire issue follows, check loom plug barb is intact and replace or use ziptie to hold plug on.

Or log avcs left and right vvt angles to see if its playing up.

Check if the maf is clean, use maf cleaner, make sure o ring is seated.

Check the nipple at the base of the rear passenger side inlet manifold.
The fpr vac reference hose goes to there. Zip tie it on.

Make sure your boost control hoses are attached and ziptied.

If turbo boost control hoses are all messed up and you can’t work it out, use a new piece of hose to connect the compressor outlet nipple to the wastegate nipple only to ensure you’re only getting wastegate pressure 7psi till you get an expert to rectify it.
bigBADbenny

Postby Daemos » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Does the OBDlink MX+ work with BTssm?

It would be great to have ios compatibility in case it is needed on other cars and apps (not btssm) as it's only $10 more than the regular OBDlink MX (non plus).
Daemos

Car: 02 STI

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:36 am

The mx is listed as compatible:
https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 67811.html
Maybe contact the Btssm developer for “+” specifics...
bigBADbenny

Postby Daemos » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:19 am

bigBADbenny wrote:The mx is listed as compatible:
https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 67811.html
Maybe contact the Btssm developer for “+” specifics...

Thanks, dev is not sure if the + works (he hasn't tested) unfortunately apparently it's very slow for KKL/Kline which is what I need as I have a pre-CAN ecu.

My OTG on my fixed install Nexus 7 is flaking so I was looking for a bluetooth alternative and the BTSSM Bt adapter is no longer for sale :(
Daemos

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:45 pm

I use an otg USB adapter with a $20 clear blue USB A vagcom from an Australian Ebay vendor.
bigBADbenny

Postby Daemos » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:50 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:I use an otg USB adapter with a $20 clear blue USB A vagcom from an Australian Ebay vendor.

I ran the otg + op 2.0 for about 3 years in Fixed Install mode on a nexus 7 (can charge + otg at the same time)... But it seems it no longer detects any otg connection...

I'm reflashing the tablet now incase there has been some software corruption in the OS.
Daemos

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:07 pm

You can use the OTG? app to see if its a software or hardware issue.
Eg if the app says you still have otg, then the cable or adapter might be flakey.
bigBADbenny

Postby Daemos » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:58 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:You can use the OTG? app to see if its a software or hardware issue.
Eg if the app says you still have otg, then the cable or adapter might be flakey.

Still says compatible...but windows couldn't detect when booted.

Windows was able to see it when in TWRP though so...might rule out a hardware issue on the nexus side.

I'm reinstalling timur's rom on the Nexus 7. I was using the last known build of lineage os 14.1 with glitchkernel (an older beta with Fixed install capabilities) since November last year...so we'll see if moving back to timur's fixes/makes things more stable. If not...then I'm gonna have to find a used BTSSM adapter...
Daemos

Postby Daemos » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:11 pm

So did some testing, reinstalled Timur's on the nexus 7and it sorta works...in fixed install (FI) mode.

So there is now a specific order for it to detect the Vagcom (haven't yet connect it to my car for full testing yet as I need to install other stuff)

1. Power on the tablet with the OTG-Y cable in (autopower up on power on)
2. Let android load and load BTSSM
3. Then plug in the Vagcom/OP2 to the OTG end of the Y- cable and it'll work.

If power is lost for whatever reason, you need to restore power without the Vagcom/OP2 connected then reconnect after power has been restored and BT SSM is open...

I've only been able to test with one Y cable USB to OTG and another USB to OTG with a separate Y connector connected that. I have another USB to OTG Y cable coming.

Never needed to do this before. The Nexus 7's USB port has taken a beating being installed though so...hopefully I can find a used BTSSM before this work around fails.

Hopefully it all works fine when I connect it to the car.

USB OTG otherwise (without external power) and a disabled FI mode seems to work fine. However, I need FI mode as I need to keep the tablet charged while it's in the car.
Daemos

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Yeah it’s way beyond my knowledge, but I’d be tempted to cheat it by adding an in line power switch to the vagcom.
Or a time delay switch...
bigBADbenny

Postby Daemos » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:10 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Yeah it’s way beyond my knowledge, but I’d be tempted to cheat it by adding an in line power switch to the vagcom.
Or a time delay switch...

Well I think it's a sign that a now almost 7 year old tablet sitting in a car for the last 3 years with a USB cable shoved into it...may damage the USB port haha...

Bluetooth would solve everything, but I don't want to spend $150 on a OBDLink MX to find out it's abysmally slow compared to the wired version.

Hopefully a new OTG cable will solve my issues...but it's doubtful at this point.

Did some searches for inline USB switches. All of the ones I've found are not suitable for data transfer :(
Daemos

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 pm

You’d switch ground or neutral, I’d imagine, off/on.
Eg put the switch inline on a short male/female USB A cable...
In the case of a timer delay switch, it’s a relay.
Jaycar do sell these but they’re kinda pricey.
bigBADbenny

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning