OBD2 Apple Apps

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

OBD2 Apple Apps

Postby Tanetoa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 pm

I've searched this forum but it seems majority of the discussions centre around the Interface rather than the software/app.

If there is a thread can someone please advise.

With that out of the way, what I'm trying to determine is the best bang for buck app out there that monitors AFR and has knock detection. Seems you have to purchase most apps before you can confirm what they provide.

I understand Rev and Dashcommand are the torque equivalent (would like to avoid buying an android phone) however I haven't been able to confirm if both provide readings on the variables above (knock & AFR)

Anyone with experience with an iPhone and elm327 scanner care to comment on their experiences with apple OBD2 apps?

Cheers
Process West CAI | AVO Inlet | AVO TBE | kiDo tuned| 3D Floormats | BIlstein suspension | HD Towbar | LED Parking Lights | AVO HD Swaybars
Tanetoa

Car: 07 Liberty GT / 1970 Ford FairlaneZC

Re: OBD2 Apple Apps

Postby Manaz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Tanetoa wrote:I've searched this forum but it seems majority of the discussions centre around the Interface rather than the software/app.

If there is a thread can someone please advise.

With that out of the way, what I'm trying to determine is the best bang for buck app out there that monitors AFR and has knock detection. Seems you have to purchase most apps before you can confirm what they provide.

I understand Rev and Dashcommand are the torque equivalent (would like to avoid buying an android phone) however I haven't been able to confirm if both provide readings on the variables above (knock & AFR)

Anyone with experience with an iPhone and elm327 scanner care to comment on their experiences with apple OBD2 apps?

Cheers

You're aware that there are issues with apps on the IPhone due to the way Apple license access to their Bluetooth stack? This limits what apps are out there, and which Bluetooth-based scan tools will work with an iPhone.

It may be easier to buy a dirt cheap basic Android phone/tablet and use that.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby Tanetoa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Well aware.

Which is why I bought the wifi version of elm327 scanner. The issue isnt connection moreso what apps provide the information or at leaast comparable information - including AFR and knock - to the torque app.

So, if anyone has downloaded Rev and/or Dashcommand or has another app that provides these features I would be most interested in your experience with these apps.

Cheers
Process West CAI | AVO Inlet | AVO TBE | kiDo tuned| 3D Floormats | BIlstein suspension | HD Towbar | LED Parking Lights | AVO HD Swaybars
Tanetoa

Postby db1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Are you jailbroken?

Could you download a "trial" version to see for yourself?
db1

Car: MY08 GTB

Postby Tanetoa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Unfortunately, not jail broken and most trail versions only provide basic information.

I'll also be honest and say I have no idea what PID records knock.

Surely someone has an iPhone setup and can answer this question?

If not, I might just bite the bullet and report back for the benefit of others.
Tanetoa

Postby db1 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:12 am

When I said trial, I meant Pirate. AAARRRRRRRRRRRR
db1

Car: MY08 GTB

Postby Tanetoa » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:31 am

:twisted:

Because I can't be bothered learning how to jailbreak my phone I ended up going with dash command.

For those keeping score, can confirm it does monitor AFR and a number of subaru specfic PIDs, once you buy the expansion pack on top of the app. So all up around $25.

The Bad: For some reason it isnt recording 'knock' even though I can access the PID.

The Good: the reposnse time on the forum is impressive and should hopefully have a solution soon.

Hopefully this helps any iPhone users out there.
Tanetoa

Postby Tanetoa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:24 pm

So after a few days use I thought it was worthwhile providing an update.

In short, Dash command is a great product. The learning curve is steep but once you dive in, it becomes second nature adding and editing gauges. The start up and connection is very fast and overall I am happy with the product. Data logging is also very intuitive.

The one and only gripe that I have is, if you have a tuned subaru this can affect what PIDs are supported. I shelled out the extra dough in order to monitor knock retard and I can see it is an available PID however, because I have had my car tuned, I get a contant message saying NO DATA. The developers have mentioned sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt because apparently every tune affects it differently.

Have to say was most impressed with the response times in regards to my queries. They obviously care about their customers and it shows.

Hopefully this helps any iPhone users out there looking at this product.
Tanetoa

Postby peadya100 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Great to know you found a solution to this mate!
I was worried I might have sent you on a wild goose chase, but you figured it out!! :good:
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby Tanetoa » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks to you Adam.

You pointeed me in the right direction.

Just hope this proves helpful for any other would be iPhone 'loggers' out there.
Tanetoa

Return to Tuning