Tuning Conditions

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Tuning Conditions

Postby Newbie GT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 am

kiahatsiu wrote:However.
AFR is one thing, but boost and cylinder pressure is another. And that is what is killing our EJs.
Tune in summer for 24 psi..come those 2 degree nights in winter and it will be spiking way past 24. AFR will stay at 11:1 (or whatever) timing might be pulled depending on your tune, but I think the cylinder pressure might be off the charts. I know what ECU's should do, but I like to assume the worst is going to happen.

I think Newbie asked a valid question here.
In your vf52 too case Newbie I think you will be okay. People with big boost high HP tunes may need to consider it. Only because ej257/55s are fragile pieces of shit. Mick and Sean will be okay with their 13mm thick stock bores.

Cheers Ian this is what I was thinking out loud ie lateral thinking outside the box as I was certain that there would be some sort of consequence.
Newbie GT

Postby alexxxz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 am

Newbie GT wrote:
AFR is one thing, but boost and cylinder pressure is another. And that is what is killing our EJs.
Tune in summer for 24 psi..come those 2 degree nights in winter and it will be spiking way past 24. AFR will stay at 11:1 (or whatever) timing might be pulled depending on your tune, but I think the cylinder pressure might be off the charts. I know what ECU's should do, but I like to assume the worst is going to happen.

In your vf52 too case Newbie I think you will be okay. People with big boost high HP tunes may need to consider it. Only because ej257/55s are fragile pieces of shit. Mick and Sean will be okay with their 13mm thick stock bores.

Cheers Ian this is what I was thinking out loud ie lateral thinking outside the box as I was certain that there would be some sort of consequence.

A good tuner will have this covered and make a safe enough tune to suit ALL conditions (one of the questions you could ask when getting it tuned)
alexxxz

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Sp. B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28006

Postby dazzz168 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 pm

Who's tuning it Newbie? Maybe ask the tuner these questions too. End of the day, it's just a VF52, even TH tunes seem to do ok. I'd be worried if it were a bigger turbo though.
dazzz168

Car: Forester XT & TB STi Lib
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20816

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:39 pm

That is why you tune to have AFR's go richer as engine load increases to give added fuel and then set the KCA table to pull timing if load increases past final tuned load value
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby dazzz168 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Other tables like boost and wastegate compensations andperhaps Engine load compensation come into play too... not just enriching AFRs.
dazzz168

Postby Newbie GT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:57 pm

dazzz168 wrote:Who's tuning it Newbie? Maybe ask the tuner these questions too. End of the day, it's just a VF52, even TH tunes seem to do ok. I'd be worried if it were a bigger turbo though.

Dazz thanks mate look I don't want to start anything here but what do you mean th tunes seem to be ok?

Not recommended ? Seems to be mixed opinion in your other post below too
Newbie GT

Postby Sean82 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Newbie GT wrote:
dazzz168 wrote:Who's tuning it Newbie? Maybe ask the tuner these questions too. End of the day, it's just a VF52, even TH tunes seem to do ok. I'd be worried if it were a bigger turbo though.

Dazz thanks mate look I don't want to start anything here but what do you mean th tunes seem to be ok?

Another EJ255 he tuned (running a BNR16G) let go the other day in WA.

Newbie I agree with Ian on this; you ask a valid question.
A lot of people I know in the US have two separate tunes, but this is primarily because of the ethanol blend in their "E85" at their local gas stations; they change from summer to winter fuel. I'm personally not sure of the reasons behind the fuel change but I would imagine that because it actually gets cold in many places of the US, and there can be issues with cold starts on E85, that the blend changes to account for colder weather???
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Postby Newbie GT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Sean82 wrote:
Newbie GT wrote:

A lot of people I know in the US have two separate tunes, but this is primarily because of the ethanol blend in their "E85" at their local gas stations; they change from summer to winter fuel. I'm personally not sure of the reasons behind the fuel change but I would imagine that because it actually gets cold in many places of the US, and there can be issues with cold starts on E85, that the blend changes to account for colder weather???

Cheers Sean made common sense to me in the noticeable difference they perform in hot cold weather.

I'm yet to install the vf52 maybe when I get back to Syd in sept. So matt is not recommended I should look else where ?
Last edited by Newbie GT on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie GT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 am

dazzz168 wrote:Other tables like boost and wastegate compensations andperhaps Engine load compensation come into play too... not just enriching AFRs.

Engine load compensation tables are under vacuum... yet to see anyone else modify them for 'on boost' by changing the column scalings and atmospheric changes can be tweaked... there is Alpha/Beta tables

Sean82 wrote:
Newbie GT wrote:

Why not post up about what actually happened... like the turbo having a massive internal oil leak and burning oil from the turbo and the vent to atmo BOV causing fuel trim issues ;) Fuel pump failure was not such a good contributor either ;)

I have had 7 guys ask me this year for the code to reset the reflash counter in their cars due to their US e-tuned cars going bang and them wanting to claim warranty... I can FB you the email or FB screen shots if you like :) Engines do have this happen as we know.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Sean82 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
dazzz168 wrote:Other tables like boost and wastegate compensations andperhaps Engine load compensation come into play too... not just enriching AFRs.

Engine load compensation tables are under vacuum... yet to see anyone else modify them for 'on boost' by changing the column scalings and atmospheric changes can be tweaked... there is Alpha/Beta tables

Sean82 wrote:
Newbie GT wrote:[quote="dazzz168"]Who's tuning it Newbie? Maybe ask the tuner these questions too. End of the day, it's just a VF52, even TH tunes seem to do ok. I'd be worried if it were a bigger turbo though.

Why not post up about what actually happened... like the turbo having a massive internal oil leak and burning oil from the turbo and the vent to atmo BOV causing fuel trim issues ;) Fuel pump failure was not such a good contributor either ;)

I have had 7 guys ask me this year for the code to reset the reflash counter in their cars due to their US e-tuned cars going bang and them wanting to claim warranty... I can FB you the email or FB screen shots if you like :) Engines do have this happen as we know.[/quote]

Because, Matt, that's all the information I had available. There is nothing in the member's build thread on OzFoz about this supposed oil leak or fuel pump failure. And I highlight "supposed" because it's currently you telling it here and not in the place I would have thought you'd put it first; said build thread.

Nothing I stated is untrue: an EJ255 tuned by you running a BNR16G has let go. Fact.

I've not lain blame, nor do I intend to. And I didn't speculate what's actually gone wrong.

What's the resetting of the reflash counter got to do with anything in this thread? I don't follow...
Sean82

Postby owen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:00 am

Sean I think what Matt is implying is more the fact that when a TP tuned car goes bang nobody bats an eyelid, and any cars tuned by Matt, regardless of how the owner has treated the car, mechanical health etc etc it's instantly "Matt blew up another car".

I don't think this is fair on him as he charges $400 for a tune, and that's all he'll do. Frankly that's all some of his customers want. He doesn't charge $120 an hour on top to diagnose and repair your car.

I experienced this first hand when I was running the dyno for him. The first car I ran had no cam movement on one side and was running like poo. We stopped and informed the owner, and the response was basically "I don't care I want 180kw". So off we went, tuned it to 180kw as safely as we could. Now, no doubt if this car went bang a week later it would be "Matt blew up this car and Revzone didn't do anything about it".

Can you see how frustrating this can be?
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby dazzz168 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:16 am

owen wrote:Sean I think what Matt is implying is more the fact that when a TP tuned car goes bang nobody bats an eyelid, and any cars tuned by Matt, regardless of how the owner has treated the car, mechanical health etc etc it's instantly "Matt blew up another car".

I don't think this is fair on him as he charges $400 for a tune, and that's all he'll do. Frankly that's all some of his customers want. He doesn't charge $120 an hour on top to diagnose and repair your car.

I experienced this first hand when I was running the dyno for him. The first car I ran had no cam movement on one side and was running like poo. We stopped and informed the owner, and the response was basically "I don't care I want 180kw". So off we went, tuned it to 180kw as safely as we could. Now, no doubt if this car went bang a week later it would be "Matt blew up this car and Revzone didn't do anything about it".

Any car tuned by any tuner can go bang... It's the rate of these bangs that raises eyebrows.
dazzz168

Postby Sean82 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am

owen wrote:Sean I think what Matt is implying is more the fact that when a TP tuned car goes bang nobody bats an eyelid, and any cars tuned by Matt, regardless of how the owner has treated the car, mechanical health etc etc it's instantly "Matt blew up another car".

Yeah totally see the point. I personally try to avoid the laying blame. Like I said, all I know is one particular car tuned by Matt has popped.

I've since re-read that particular owner's build thread this morning and will add: it looks like the owner hasn't done himself any favours (oil leaks etc that Matt mentioned aside), it appears he has regularly given it a boot full when it's not been warmed up properly :shock:
Sean82

Postby <GB> » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 am

in that situation imo the tuner should just say no and not tune the car till its fixed
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby Newbie GT » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 am

<GB> wrote:

in that situation imo the tuner should just say no and not tune the car till its fixed

Absolutely correct . The tuner should stop immediately - also save his reputation and this also adds to the tuners professionalism.
Newbie GT

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning