No Throttle Control at all!

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

No Throttle Control at all!

Postby flySTi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:01 am

Driving home from Geelong recently proved to be a challenge when out of nowhere the car started slowing down. Naturally I compensated by applying the right foot to the accelerator but when it reached the floor "I sh!t myself". Instinctively I started pumping the pedal like a lunatic which as expected just changed from gear to gear until I found myself cruising at 4000 rpm and completely without control of the throttle. It was at this time I noticed the avg/l gauges maxed out at high 40s to 50s and that was the best I could do.
After I pulled over, turned the car off and slapped my palm against my forehead for 5 mins I restarted the car. Sure as sh!t it, was still doing it. Resigned to the fact I had blown the turbo (or something) I decided to continue home and collapse into the foetal position so my wife could stab me to death with a carving knife.
So, while driving for a further 45 mins (like riding a bucking bull at the Houston Worlds Rodeo Championships) I ran through every possible failure that could have occurred and how I was going to fix it. Waste gate? DBW? Gearbox? Spark plug? WTF? Then it dawned on me!
Air Flow Meter. It must be dirty! As I rounded the last corner to home and the family knotted off their sick bags (that's right the wife and 2 kids were in the car with me) I raised the garage door, popped the bonnet, jumped out and ran to my toolbox. A philips head screw driver was all I needed and "voila" It was filthy.
After emptying a can of CRC contact cleaner right up it's cloaca, replacing it and driving around the block the car was fine again. Actually the car is now better than ever. 9.8l/100, boost noticeably comes in at 2000 and peaks at 4000 then pulls like a pubescent teenage boy.
My advice to all, buy a can of CRC CONTACT CLEANER and use it liberally.
flySTi

Car: Obsideon Black MY07 GT-Spec B Wagon

Re: No Throttle Control at all!

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18 pm

CRC actually make maf cleaner ftw :)
Nice writeup.
Hit me up for a learning view next time ur in melbs ;)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: No Throttle Control at all!

Postby Sean82 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:57 pm

The Jaycar Isopropyl Alcohol works wonders too ;)

Glad it's sorted :)
Current: MY04 LGT 5EAT Wagon
Previous: MY11 Forester S-Edition VF52|ID1000s|Stuff|E85|12.9s @ 106
Sean82

Car: MY04 GT with JDM GRB EJ207 swap

Return to Tuning