Subaru I Drive system

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Subaru I Drive system

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 am

I was having a discussion recently about the iDrive system. My understanding is that the 3 different settings (I, S & S#) can have 3 entirely different and completely independent ECU maps. The person I was talking to (a guy who generally knows his shit) disagreed. His understanding is that the only difference in the 3 is the target boost levels.

So what is the story? Are they completely independent or not?

This is important to my e85 project as I had planned to keep one map for regular 98 ron fuel, with the other 2 for e-flex. If my understanding is correct this is not a problem, however it is a problem if i am wrong...

Thanks.
GT-B Spec R Pilot

Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Re: Subaru I Drive system

Postby blacktop™ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:31 am

I believe that it's neither boost or ecu map.

It's just 3 different throttle maps/settings for the electronic throttle but I think Matt (kido) is able to, or soon able to have different boost settings in different modes.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby kiahatsiu » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:34 am

What happens if someone hops in the car and turns the know unbeknown to you?
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby blacktop™ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:20 am

It'll explode
blacktop™

Postby Kekotic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 am

GT-B Spec R Pilot wrote:I was having a discussion recently about the iDrive system. My understanding is that the 3 different settings (I, S & S#) can have 3 entirely different and completely independent ECU maps. The person I was talking to (a guy who generally knows his shit) disagreed. His understanding is that the only difference in the 3 is the target boost levels.

So what is the story? Are they completely independent or not?

This is important to my e85 project as I had planned to keep one map for regular 98 ron fuel, with the other 2 for e-flex. If my understanding is correct this is not a problem, however it is a problem if i am wrong...

Thanks.

I don't think the ECU allows for I-drive to have entirely different maps. However you can have a separate map loaded on to the ECU (post facelift only), and programmed to change with the press of some buttons on the dash.

Also the fact that the car is locked to Sports mode when cold could be a bit of a problem with your idea.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:36 am

kiahatsiu wrote:What happens if someone hops in the car and turns the know unbeknown to you?

Apart from servicing, 99.9% of the time i drive the car. My wife only drives it when I have been drinking and then i am in the passenger seat. No plan to change that anytime soon.

However, to answer your question, if the 98 map was selected with e85 in the tank it would probably run but very lean and the check engine light would come on, cruise control not work etc etc.

If the e85 map was selected with 98 in the tank i don't think it would even start as the mixture would be too rich to burn.

Also the fact that the car is locked to Sports mode when cold could be a bit of a problem with your idea. As i understand it, only S# is locked out when its cold. Both I and S are available so I - map for 98, S - map for e-flex. Problem solved.
GT-B Spec R Pilot

Postby Kekotic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:40 am

GT-B Spec R Pilot wrote:Also the fact that the car is locked to Sports mode when cold could be a bit of a problem with your idea. As i understand it, only S# is locked out when its cold. Both I and S are available so I - map for 98, S - map for e-flex. Problem solved.

Okay but you are kind of overlooking the fact that it's not possible....
I wouldn't exactly call that problem solved.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:35 am

I meant the problem of only S mode being available when cold was solved. You are quite correct if its not possible for separate maps.

Another option may be to incorporate a flex fuel sensor along the lines of what's in other makers vehicles that can run on either e85 or regular pulp. As i understand it the sensor is simply another input to the ECU which enables the ECU to change the fuel and timing (and probably other things) to suit the fuel it senses. Not sure how it would work if it detected a blend of both as would be the case if the tank was not completely empty before being filled with eflex on top of 98 (or visa-versa)...
GT-B Spec R Pilot

Postby kiahatsiu » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 pm

ECU no can do.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 am

Mine is tuned with higher target boost in S# by Matt-Kido. Because the default throttle map of S# is too aggressive I got him to reduce the throttle sensitivity on S# so it is similar to S (a bit more) to suit my driving style.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby Caution » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 am

Would love to get the throttle bumped up in I mode. Literally can't drive without being in s at least.
Caution

Car: MY08 GT-B

Postby rooby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Matt was talking somewhere else (I think his forester thread) about having your keys activate different tunes so one key is for 98 and the other is for E85.
Just make sure you label the keys properly.

Maybe paint the E85 one red, cause it goes faster.
rooby

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Caution wrote:Would love to get the throttle bumped up in I mode. Literally can't drive without being in s at least.

I agree it's shite. I mode is a waste of time. I never use it, car stays in S. In my opinion the car is not enjoyable to drive in I so why bother ;).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:08 am

rooby wrote:Matt was talking somewhere else (I think his forester thread) about having your keys activate different tunes so one key is for 98 and the other is for E85.
Just make sure you label the keys properly.

Maybe paint the E85 one red, cause it goes faster.

No, I thought he said it was so one key could use S#, and the other couldn't, like a valet mode?
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:27 am

Kekotic wrote:...you can have a separate map loaded on to the ECU (post facelift only), and programmed to change with the press of some buttons on the dash.

Who can do this? Matt? Very interested to get this done in the future.
blacktop™

Next

Return to Tuning