surging under partial and WOT?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: surging under partial and WOT?

Postby funGT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Howdy pranayshrestha, I am not sure what you mean by this (sorry, I'm a newbie to forums). I checked my inbox and no pms? If you could clarify, that would be great. Cheers

Actually, whilst on it, if it turns out that the rear housing is vf38 size, then any idea how much gain would be had in flow/performance/dynamics by putting on a larger rear housing like the one Mick suggested? (i hope it is the vf38 if some more gains can be made by changing it! ha ha).

Thanks again for your time guys, much appreciated.
funGT

Car: 04 GT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 pm

I recommend taking it easy till it's retuned or logged since surge = heat = detonation
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby funGT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks, will do. It is just so tempting though because each time I hope that the response will be different and it pull well, occasionally I am rewarded but i don't want to kill it before it gets a chance! :D
funGT

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Have you checked for vacuum leaks etc?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby pranayshrestha » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm

funGT wrote:Howdy pranayshrestha, I am not sure what you mean by this (sorry, I'm a newbie to forums). I checked my inbox and no pms? If you could clarify, that would be great. Cheers

Actually, whilst on it, if it turns out that the rear housing is vf38 size, then any idea how much gain would be had in flow/performance/dynamics by putting on a larger rear housing like the one Mick suggested? (i hope it is the vf38 if some more gains can be made by changing it! ha ha).

Thanks again for your time guys, much appreciated.

Hello funGT, I'm a newbie as well (not exactly, been around for more than a year but just a passive member). :-) I was actually intending to do a VF34:VF38 conversion as well and snooping around when I found the post by Mick (dr20t) and I messaged him regarding the rear housing size. Sorry about the confusion.

Regarding the issue you're facing, I had a similar experience after fitting a 3 port boost control solenoid to OEM VF38. I looked at your videos. Very similar. I used to get a surge around the midrange (say 3500 rpm) and this behavior was inconsistent. Didn't always happen. I didn't get it checked right away and things ended badly for me as you can read here http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23853&p=346779#p346779

I am not adept but it is definitely not normal. Like bigBadbenny and dr20t said, I would recommend you get it checked as soon as possible for

1. vacuum leaks
2. Banjo bolt clogging
3. filter baskets
pranayshrestha

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty GT

Postby funGT » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi prana... thanks for clarifying the post. Geez, sorry to hear about all the dramas you have had, what a nightmare. I'm not sure if it helps, but the tuner who did my recent conversion said there were 5 filters that they removed to avoid future probs with the turbo not just 1 or 2. He said they were in multiple locations but I didn't explore this with him further to get the details. I'm sure others would know to help prevent future probs. Have you decided what you are going to do to fix it? :D

I am not adept but it is definitely not normal. Like bigBadbenny and dr20t said, I would recommend you get it checked as soon as possible for

1. vacuum leaks
2. Banjo bolt clogging
3. filter baskets

I haven't checked for vacuum leaks yet (thanks for the tip as well bugBADbenny :D ) and to my knowledge the banjo filter/s have been removed. I am driving sedately and am hoping the issue will be sorted/diagnosed on Wendesday- the tuner has suggested a re-tune should fix it. I will ask him to check the filter baskets on Wednesday as well and try and find out what size the rear housing is :)

I will probably update on Wed arvo with hopefully good news.

Thanks again everyone.
:D
funGT

Postby Robbks » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:07 am

funGT wrote:Forgot to mention fuel usage is absurd, like 1/3 of a tank in approx 70km driving through burbs & mostly light throttle as wife and kids in the car! I understand E85 is supposed to use 15-20% more fuel, but I am wondering if this excessive fuel usage is part of the problem?

Fluttering nose + exces fuel usage
intake leaks.

check all your piping and clamps again,
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby funGT » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Howdy,

I checked all the piping again and it all felt good. Rechecked each clamp and did up FT. I have taken the bumper off as well so that all piping is exposed tomorrow when it goes in for a re-tune (just in case there is a prob there). I took it for another spin after re-checking and no change.

I had to get quite a bit of custom piping done to get the cxracing FMIC to fit and I am stll not 100% happy with the way it joins on to the throttle body- the silicon hose is about 4-5mm from the very end on the passenger side of the TB, but there is enough hose sitting past the ridge and the clamp is behind the ridge in the TB outlet, so I assume this should be ok? (i think the hose is cut sqaure).

Looking forward to tomorrow and hopefully get it all sorted.
funGT

Postby funGT » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Howdy,

had the tune and it is running much better than before, which is great. As noted in another post,the FMIC added 10awkw to the mid range :D and it pulls hard under moderate-WOT. It is a lot of fun to drive in the hills, especiallly with the teins combo as well. Tuner palyed with it so economy has improved as well.

Unfortunately, the surging is still present but does not occur as often. tuner has said it is a combo of it making boost very early = too much boost from motor to handle at low rpm + FMIC makes it worse as system holds more charge per se than TMIC (this is my understanding of what he said) + auto converter adds to prob as well. He said he could essentially de-tune it all so that surging does not occur or suggested for me to try and adjust my driving style to use less throttle in normal driving to minimise surge. I am open to the latter.

The only downer is that 1/4 throttle opening (when it happens the most and most severe) is quite common to use in traffic overtaking, accelerating out of bends etc and this is when it occurs. It has also made a 'popping' sound a few times after a few seconds of surging - similar sound to when I drove the car from the place that did the re-work on the FMIC kit and there were big leaks in plumbing.

Just wondering if anyone else has done the vf34 TS conversion in a 2.0L model, particularly auto, to see how they have found their tune???

Cheers
funGT

Postby cooki_monsta » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey, did you have to cut or remove any trim when installing the Street Flex coil-overs? I'm thinking of buying a pair this week.

Cheers.
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Postby Robbks » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 am

who's the tuner?
they SHOULD have tuned it so that it doesn't happen.
i.e limit the boost it can make at that point as the engine can't use it anyway.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby funGT » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi.
cooki_monsta wrote:Hey, did you have to cut or remove any trim when installing the Street Flex coil-overs? I'm thinking of buying a pair this week.

Cheers.
the teins went straight in, no cutting or mods. The car is getting an alignment right now. I also did the bushes and whiteline rear sway bar and I am loving the set up. It finally turns in, and no understeer. I have the teins on soft setting (when kids in car) but am about to fit the adfc active to have a play. Be careful who u order with, I got dicked around for 4 weeks which was a real inconvenience.

Robbks wrote:who's the tuner?
they SHOULD have tuned it so that it doesn't happen.
i.e limit the boost it can make at that point as the engine can't use it anyway.

Howdy, tuned by s and j auto. . He said he could tune it out but suggested it would be better to try and drive around surging by using less throttle because when it doesnt surge it pulls well. I am a bit surprised at this response. I have been trying to adjust throttle style but its difficult as the surge occurs when light-mod acceleration, which is all the time in daily driving situations!
funGT

Postby cooki_monsta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:46 pm

funGT wrote:Hi.
cooki_monsta wrote:Hey, did you have to cut or remove any trim when installing the Street Flex coil-overs? I'm thinking of buying a pair this week.

Cheers.
the teins went straight in, no cutting or mods. The car is getting an alignment right now. I also did the bushes and whiteline rear sway bar and I am loving the set up. It finally turns in, and no understeer. I have the teins on soft setting (when kids in car) but am about to fit the adfc active to have a play. Be careful who u order with, I got dicked around for 4 weeks which was a real inconvenience.

Cheers. Great to know! I'm thinkin of gettin mine via Jesse Streeter for about $1450. When you say you did the bushes, are you referring to just the rear sway bar ones?
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

cooki_monsta

Postby funGT » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 pm

cooki_monsta wrote:
funGT wrote:Hi.

Cheers.

Cheers. Great to know! I'm thinkin of gettin mine via Jesse Streeter for about $1450. When you say you did the bushes, are you referring to just the rear sway bar ones?

Howdy, $1450 sounds bloody good, I paid $1650 + $295 delivery (supposed to be 10 days and took 4+ weeks from the states)- i should have done more research!

I replaced the rear sway bar and its bushes + the bushes in the rear control arms + all front bushes (a-lift kit). I didn't replace the front sway bar with a bigger one as I wanted to minimise understeer.

Some of the roads are pretty undulated where I live (lots of clay in area so roads looks like waves in the ocean), so the car pogos a bit and I have dampening set on very soft at the moment (I get flash backs from my teen years, so I don't mind it at present :lol: ) but as soon as the road flattens out, it is bloody awesome. I look forward to having a play with the dampening with the active system in the coming weeks when I fit that, sure to put a smile on the dial.

Note there is no banging or any other unpleasant sounds.

All the best with your purchase, I can't see how you could possibly be disappointed, especially for $1450.
funGT

Postby cooki_monsta » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 am

funGT wrote:Howdy, $1450 sounds bloody good, I paid $1650 + $295 delivery (supposed to be 10 days and took 4+ weeks from the states)- i should have done more research!

I replaced the rear sway bar and its bushes + the bushes in the rear control arms + all front bushes (a-lift kit). I didn't replace the front sway bar with a bigger one as I wanted to minimise understeer.

Some of the roads are pretty undulated where I live (lots of clay in area so roads looks like waves in the ocean), so the car pogos a bit and I have dampening set on very soft at the moment (I get flash backs from my teen years, so I don't mind it at present :lol: ) but as soon as the road flattens out, it is bloody awesome. I look forward to having a play with the dampening with the active system in the coming weeks when I fit that, sure to put a smile on the dial.

Note there is no banging or any other unpleasant sounds.

All the best with your purchase, I can't see how you could possibly be disappointed, especially for $1450.

Are you using Whiteline or SuperPro bushes? I'm tempted to replace all the control arm bushes... Victorian roads have deteriorated with all the rain we've had more recently... I'll have to drive with more care around all the pot holes and live with the softest damper setting on the weekday. I'm just now waiting for the AUD to buy more JPY :) ...I probably won't see them til January at earliest though haha

Good to know the feedback is good. Money well spent. The experience is priceless.

cooki_monsta

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning