Tuning my 07 sti (manual) 0-100?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Tuning my 07 sti (manual) 0-100?

Postby owen » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Can somebody please explain why his car is in 2nd gear before his speedo even starts moving?
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:17 pm

owen wrote:Can somebody please explain why his car is in 2nd gear before his speedo even starts moving?

forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25497&start=15

As Hyrax pointed out - our speedos aren't accurate at low speeds, so during rapid acceleration they're going to be 'lazy' at first. I clicked on the paddle to shift fairly early in 1st, the display changed to ' 2 ' instantly, but it didn't engage the gear until around 5000rpm (when you see the needle snap back).

The speedo reads around 50km/hr once I'm actually in 2nd.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby <GB> » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Justin ushould just sit back and enjoy as some of us like it ;)

Matt my car didn't have an issue with one seal on the fuel pump,maybe it had a bad seal ? Wrong size ?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby jaydece » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 pm

<GB> wrote:Justin ushould just sit back and enjoy as some of us like it ;)

Matt my car didn't have an issue with one seal on the fuel pump,maybe it had a bad seal ? Wrong size ?

...not if it is at the cost of integrity of the cause....or of the person(s)....
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby <GB> » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 pm

I lost my tegrity years ago can I have some of yours ?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:12 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:
Robbks wrote:going by rough time stamps and some careful eyeing of the needle,
the car moves off at about 2.1 seconds and touches the 100km/h at around 7.2
SO 0-100km/h in 5sec flat.

I've been trying to make an overlay or split screen video of matt's tuned and my car... haha no luck so far, freeware can't handle it :D If someone tech video savvy could help...IMO it would make for a cool video :)

It looks to me like both cars do it in a very similar 5 secs time - once the car (speedo) starts moving - but if we're going from when the throttle is applied, my car revs a lot faster. And so overall time from applying the throttle to 100 is considerably faster. I'm guessing it's due to my extra torque?

Check this: https://cobb.app.box.com/subaru-table-list and look at page 28... see how they list all the manuals for Gear Ratios? The Autos have the TCU 'generate' a road speed for the dash based on engine rpm and the actual gear your in but does not need to relate to wheel speed or even diff speeds.

Background: Virtual Dyno can read a stupidly high power output(like 400Kw VF46) in a manual if the clutch is slipping, as it does not need a kph input. If the clutch slips, engine rpm increases fast(3600rpm to rev limit in 3rd in no time at all) and VD assumes your making bulk power to make it do that. Same concept is true for an auto, slipping auto = faster acceleration on the RPM = more power. Thing is, in real life that RPM also means the speedo in an auto accelerates faster but it takes time to grab the next gear.

Basically, the above is why the LegcacyGT guys in the USA all talk about the slip and slushy gearshifts. Slush is because the auto is still transferring power from previous gear despite the gear change having occured due to rpm. That is what I am 'fixing' in the US tunes and is why cars are dropping half a second after being tuned previously.

Quick update for an old thread, but hopefully useful for 5EAT owners who're chasing some power.

The RPM and Speedometer....are not directly related as stated. From real life "testing" - the speedo display is consistent with actual wheel speed, rather than making a calculation of RPM/gear alone.

This is what happens in the following scenarios.

1. Spinning all 4 wheels on the road. The RPM and Speedo both spike. The car's actual speed increases, but very slowly 8)

2. Slipping clutch. The RPM needle will spike, but speedo display stays constant. The car's actual speed stays constant. The clutch is no longer connecting the engine to the wheels

3. Sluggish gearshifts. The RPM will spike, the speedo will increase slowly. Actual speed will increase slowly. Not quite the same as a slipping clutch, as you're still accelerating - even throughout your 5EAT trying to grab gear. (This will usually only happen in fairly boosted 5EATs from 1st into 2nd on a launch/fast start.)

In all instances the speedo behaves in direct relation to wheel speed and isn't affected by a slipping clutch. Therefore - even with a sluggish gearshift, the speedo is very relevant in terms of showing true acceleration :)

ie there is no such thing in my experience as the speedo being off by 25km/hr, because of an un-tuned 5eat (at the very least, on the postFL for sure).

If my tuner was saying things like this (among many many other unsubstantiated claims) - I'd be worried he either doesn't know what he's doing, is a BS artist - or both. :banned:
alexeiwoody

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Quick update for an old thread, but hopefully useful for 5EAT owners who're chasing some power.
The RPM and Speedometer....are not directly related as stated. From real life "testing" - the speedo display is consistent with actual wheel speed, rather than making a calculation of RPM/gear alone.
1. Spinning all 4 wheels on the road. The RPM and Speedo both spike. The car's actual speed increases, but very slowly 8)
2. Slipping clutch. The RPM needle will spike, but speedo display stays constant. The car's actual speed stays constant. The clutch is no longer connecting the engine to the wheels
3. Sluggish gearshifts. The RPM will spike, the speedo will increase slowly. Actual speed will increase slowly. Not quite the same as a slipping clutch, as you're still accelerating - even throughout your 5EAT trying to grab gear. (This will usually only happen in fairly boosted 5EATs from 1st into 2nd on a launch/fast start.)
In all instances the speedo behaves in direct relation to wheel speed and isn't affected by a slipping clutch. Therefore - even with a sluggish gearshift, the speedo is very relevant in terms of showing true acceleration :)
ie there is no such thing in my experience as the speedo being off by 25km/hr, because of an un-tuned 5eat (at the very least, on the postFL for sure).

If my tuner was saying things like this (among many many other unsubstantiated claims) - I'd be worried he either doesn't know what he's doing, is a BS artist - or both. :banned:

4. Workshop dyno tuned 5EAT with a Blouch 1.5XTR in Sydney... Does 240kph in 5th gear with ease at highway speeds even going through speed cameras and cars doing 100kph can keep up with him. Currently awaiting a new gearbox.

Anyone want to see a copy of a AUDM 07-09 LGT TCU program Vs a TBSTi program? I wrote definitions for EcuFlash albeit there is no method for flashing TCU mods without SSM2/3 tools.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:04 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:Quick update for an old thread, but hopefully useful for 5EAT owners who're chasing some power.

4. Workshop dyno tuned 5EAT with a Blouch 1.5XTR in Sydney... Does 240kph in 5th gear with ease at highway speeds even going through speed cameras and cars doing 100kph can keep up with him. Currently awaiting a new gearbox.

Anyone want to see a copy of a AUDM 07-09 LGT TCU program Vs a TBSTi program? I wrote definitions for EcuFlash albeit there is no method for flashing TCU mods without SSM2/3 tools.

That doesn't mean the speed is calculated off RPM though. RPM is free to rev on other cars. You're describing a completely broken gearbox, not just a slipping clutch as before.

And on top of that - where is this car? Can we see a video of the dash vs GPS please?

If you're going to post anything, then post....? I would be surprised to see the tbSti have a different TCU tune?
alexeiwoody

Postby Robbks » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:29 pm

alexeiwoody wrote: I would be surprised to see the tbSti have a different TCU tune?

The ECU is tuned differently, for more power.
It would make sense that the TCU has been optimised for the modifications.

As for the rest,
who gives a f**k
it's a thread about Manuals.

6MT + Jim Berry Clutch built to match power level..... = END THREAD
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Robbks wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote: I would be surprised to see the tbSti have a different TCU tune?

The ECU is tuned differently, for more power.
It would make sense that the TCU has been optimised for the modifications.

As for the rest,
who gives a f**k
it's a thread about Manuals.

6MT + Jim Berry Clutch built to match power level..... = END THREAD

The ecu is tuned terribly for the tbSti, in case you haven't seen the tunes. If that is anything to go by, the TCU tune can only be a hindrance. It's also not warranted due to the car making just about the same power as stock.

Tbstis weren't built for power, they weren't passing emissions here with any decent turbo upgrades during the prototyping.

I give a fk. Other people give a fk. If you don't give a fk, then why comment with that? Having read your technical threads on oz foz, I was under the impression you enjoyed contributing more than just going on forums to butt heads.
alexeiwoody

Postby Robbks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:34 am

"technical discussion" went from this thread a long time ago.
It's just you and Matt arguing about road speed vs rpm.

Make a new discussion topic with clear minds and thoughts to keep it all in one relevant place.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:43 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:The ecu is tuned terribly for the tbSti, in case you haven't seen the tunes. If that is anything to go by, the TCU tune can only be a hindrance. It's also not warranted due to the car making just about the same power as stock.

Cant post TCU files up here. Thought you would know that by now. File format is not supported ;)

TCU recalibration is actually excellent. It is on par with the quality of the JDM TCU calibration. I actually have every TCU mapped ;)

While your at it, better jump on Nasioc and prove me wrong there too :lol:

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:The ecu is tuned terribly for the tbSti, in case you haven't seen the tunes. If that is anything to go by, the TCU tune can only be a hindrance. It's also not warranted due to the car making just about the same power as stock.

Cant post TCU files up here. Thought you would know that by now. File format is not supported ;)

TCU recalibration is actually excellent. It is on par with the quality of the JDM TCU calibration. I actually have every TCU mapped ;)

While your at it, better jump on Nasioc and prove me wrong there too :lol:

So you offer it and then you say you can't share it? Ok Matt...not sure if you've been drinking again :lol:

I've asked Climber D about your tune...And the VB mods are still being rolled out. ;) And they actually work, unlike some claims here.

If you have these files that would save the 5eat owners of the world so much headache - where are they, why isn't anyone but you talking about them? Happy to see some nasioc threads? :?

I've also spoken to Airboy (sunny), who's posts you keep using as evidence and he had a few things to say about the operation of a torque converter and it's behavior on a dyno. The so called DBW values and TC slip? Unrelated. Everyone in the world, from enthusiasts (myself included) to dyno owners/tuners and race car builders, even rom raider admins - found no relation.

You claim/"explain" that your 5eats are faster because of it.

Rob, I certainly wasn't trying to pass this thread off as technical. This is just me calling out mr kido as a BS artist.
alexeiwoody

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:08 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:So you offer it and then you say you can't share it? Ok Matt...not sure if you've been drinking again :lol:
I've asked Climber D about your tune...And the VB mods are still being rolled out. ;) And they actually work, unlike some claims here.
If you have these files that would save the 5eat owners of the world so much headache - where are they, why isn't anyone but you talking about them? Happy to see some nasioc threads? :?
I've also spoken to Airboy (sunny), who's posts you keep using as evidence and he had a few things to say about the operation of a torque converter and it's behavior on a dyno. The so called DBW values and TC slip? Unrelated. Everyone in the world, from enthusiasts (myself included) to dyno owners/tuners and race car builders, even rom raider admins - found no relation.
Rob, I certainly wasn't trying to pass this thread off as technical. This is just me calling out mr kido as a BS artist.

I said does anyone want to see the TCU? I am happy to share via email since I can lock the file to be viewable ;)
Why not other people talking about them? Because I wrote them and there is a few people who know why... you obviously have not heard EVERYTHING :lol:
Considering the number of 5EAT's I have retuned in the USA, South America, Europe and Asia that have had tunes before, that are now locking up and shifting correctly. I have even rectified the issue by only modifying Requested Torque values... Airboy 5EAT retunes included and since the international cars cannot modify the TCU(let you puzzle out how I got the TCU software) then I must be doing something...

Now your the BS artist considering I know of 11, yes ELEVEN tuners who are tuning autos my way now(with my help) so your liberal use of the word 'Everyone in the world' needs some clarification. Let me know when you or any other 5EAT tuner can get 180Kw@2750rpm from a 5EAT without the TC bumping up torque and engine rpm matching road speed the entire dyno plot. Must be BS right?

You should contact BMX045 ;)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:27 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:So you offer it and then you say you can't share it? Ok Matt...not sure if you've been drinking again :lol:

I said does anyone want to see the TCU? I am happy to share via email since I can lock the file to be viewable ;)
Why not other people talking about them? Because I wrote them and there is a few people who know why... you obviously have not heard EVERYTHING :lol:
Considering the number of 5EAT's I have retuned in the USA, South America, Europe and Asia that have had tunes before, that are now locking up and shifting correctly. I have even rectified the issue by only modifying Requested Torque values... Airboy 5EAT retunes included and since the international cars cannot modify the TCU(let you puzzle out how I got the TCU software) then I must be doing something...

Now your the BS artist considering I know of 11, yes ELEVEN tuners who are tuning autos my way now(with my help) so your liberal use of the word 'Everyone in the world' needs some clarification. Let me know when you or any other 5EAT tuner can get 180Kw@2750rpm from a 5EAT without the TC bumping up torque and engine rpm matching road speed the entire dyno plot. Must be BS right?

You should contact BMX045 ;)

Yes, Matt, it is BS. Until you post up some proof, it's all just BS.

-You can say 11 tuners, or 50.
-Or the 300kwatw stock 2.0's you're tuning on a gt2863 on 98. *facepalm*
-Or how my dash is off by 25km/hr. You still haven't answered this one - you keep changing the subject every time... :?
-Or how a dump pipe adds 30kw to an already tuned car, but only if you tune it.

And as for TC bumping up torque - I'm not saying it's not possible to lock up a TC. Just pointing out it's not done through DBW, as you claim. "Everyone in the world" has already tried that. Except the North Koreans. Leave them out of this.

You've had my email for 3 years. I want to see these amazing tbSti TCU differences.
alexeiwoody

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning