TT Boost problems

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

TT Boost problems

Postby B4NAFTER » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:39 am

Hi there

I have a MY03 B4 TT, and recently I had an issue with loose battery terminals playing havoc with the electronics in the car. Having fixed that issue It now feels like the car isn't boosting predictably or properly. I feel the 2nd turbo kick in, but as I get around the 6k mark the boost drops by about 3psi and I feel the car stop pulling as much as it used to. It also feels like the boost seems to drop off a lot quicker and easier than it used to when not driving at full throttle. Other times it seems like the 2nd turbo doesn't kick in at all. Am I just being crazy, have a forgotten how to drive a TT, or could the battery connection issue have done something to the ECU/sensors etc? It feels like the 2 turbo's arn't really working together as they are supposed to. I'm thinking I might book it in at MRT in Sydney, the previous owner had a fair bit of work done by them early this year, so they should know the car. But at $90-$150 just for a possible diagnosis, I'm a bit hesitant.

Oh and is there any risk of damaging the engine if I drive it around and there is actually something playing up with the turbos or tuning or whatever?

Cheers.
B4NAFTER

Re: TT Boost problems

Postby zch91 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:44 am

How long ago did you fix the battery prob?

Disconnecting the battery will clear the ECU's learned data, so give it a little while to re-learn everything and you'll probably find it'll sort itself out. Failing that you may have bumped something in the engine bay, vac hose, etc ??
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby B4NAFTER » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:00 am

I noticed the change in boost behavior after a nasty 5 seconds of electricals flicking off and on while driving on the highway. It had done it earlier in the day as well, but basically the same day I had the first major issues with the battery connection. Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll give it some time before taking it in. It's had one of those ECUtek tunes but the MRT guy assured me that those tunes can't be affected by disconnecting the battery/ECU.
B4NAFTER

Postby B4NAFTER » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:02 am

But to answer your question, It was fixed yesterday. So maybe I'll give it a week or so and see how it goes.
B4NAFTER

Return to Tuning