Off-the-shelf tunes? (eg: ChipTorque Ezy Tune Pro)

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Off-the-shelf tunes? (eg: ChipTorque Ezy Tune Pro)

Postby cynner » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 am

I'm considering a second-hand ChipTorque Ezy Tune Pro... the tune pack that comes with it matches my car's mods (stock) and according to people that have a ChipTorque, it's an awesome improvement.

Cost-wise, second-hand they sell for about the same price as an e-tune (such as a Kido tune)... but with the ability to swap back and forwards between stock, 98 octane tune high-boost tune, 98 octane low-boost tune and 95 octane tune - plus has the gadget to monitor and log (similar to having my own Tactrix I guess)

However, I am guessing the tune would be a "safe" tune based on other cars with the same specs... therefore wouldn't be fully customised for my car. But if maximising engine life is a big thing for me - would a "safe" tune be better anyway?

If I were to buy a Tactrix, are there "off-the-shelf" tunes that I can download and install that achieve basically the same thing?

The benefit of a Kido tune I guess is that future modifications to the car won't cost me $275 each time it's re-tuned... which would be the case with the Ezy Tune.

Thoughts?

Kim :)
cynner

Car: MY08 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23586

Re: Off-the-shelf tunes? (eg: ChipTorque Ezy Tune Pro)

Postby jakey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 am

I can't comment on EzyTunes because I have no experience.

The only comments I feel need to be made is don't go down the
cynner wrote:If I were to buy a Tactrix, are there "off-the-shelf" tunes that I can download and install that achieve basically the same thing?

route if you don't know what you're doing, (by all means research it and get in to it if you want to) there may be open source tunes available; but who do you go crying to when something goes wrong?

From the sound of your needs I would fork out for the custom tune and that way it can be tailored to you.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby cynner » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:26 am

Yeah I guess an off-the-shelf Open Source tune is a lot more risky than an off-the-shelf from a company like ChipTorque (I am guessing they put a lot of effort into producing very good quality, factory-safe tunes that will work well).
cynner

Car: MY08 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23586

Postby Mikey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm

I bought a 2nd hand Ezy Flash which already had a tune in it but before fitting it to my car I have to get Chip Torque to run my car on the dyno to make sure the existing tune on the ezy flash runs on my car with no problems. Been quoted 2 or so hours of dyno time which is around the $750 mark. Just an added thing to think about and not just a quick plug in with a 2nd hand unit.
Mikey

Car: 07 Liberty GTB Tuned By STi

Return to Tuning