Fuel pump controller and max fuel pump voltage

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Fuel pump controller and max fuel pump voltage

Postby dr20t » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 pm

So does anyone have data on maximum fuel pump voltage through the oem fuel pump controller at 100% duty cycle?

Looking for ways to try and increase my fuel pump voltage to circa 15 volts at 100% duty

Need 275 litres per hour of flow at 80psi which can only be done on a single pump at 15 volts

I have considered one of these : http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Acce ... tapump.htm , but I don't know how they'd fare with the stock variable duty fuel pump controller unless I set the stock controller to 100% duty cycle constantly which I don't particularly want to do (as it would heat fuel etc)

Really don't want to go to an external pump or twin pump setup, so any suggestions welcomed

Cheers
Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: Fuel pump controller and max fuel pump voltage

Postby 3rspecb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 am

MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby dr20t » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks Gino

That's similar to the kenne bell one above.

My concern with this one is whether it will actually increase voltage to the fuel pump.

The stock fuel pump controller pretty much does what that product claims but I really would like a way to retain the stock fuel pump controller whilst increasing voltage supply to my fuel pump to about 15 volts

At 15 volts the pump I have will safely supply the 275 litres per hour at 75psi which is what I need to fuel my desired power levels

Mick

dr20t

Postby bass_straitener » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:21 am

Have you considered amending the Fuel Pump Duty in the map to be 66.7 and 100 and logged it to see what sort of voltage you're getting then.

That will need to be done anyway as your car is running bigger injectors and fuel pump duty is triggered by IPW and IDC which will be lower than stock and may not be triggering accurately at the moment.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby <GB> » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 am

you can only go to max of the alternator charge rate which will never be 15 volts and in saying that you will have a small volatage drop in the wiring from the front of the car to the back, have you at all up graded the wiring ?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby dr20t » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks Bruce - that's exactly what I'm suggesting to do but have no way of logging variable voltage with increased duty cycle

Was looking at removing the 33% and changing to 0, ,50, 80 and 100 in the XML table to affect fuel pump duty cycle

However I have no way of knowing what max voltage this will deliver at 100% duty cycle

As GB said I suspect without a step up voltage mofset such as the one in the link I posted, then max voltage will be 14v or so and that's only with upgraded wiring to reduce voltage drop whilst still retaining fuel pump controller to regulate duty cycle

What to do???

dr20t

Postby <GB> » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:37 pm

dr20t wrote:Thanks Bruce - that's exactly what I'm suggesting to do but have no way of logging variable voltage with increased duty cycle

Was looking at removing the 33% and changing to 0, ,50, 80 and 100 in the XML table to affect fuel pump duty cycle

However I have no way of knowing what max voltage this will deliver at 100% duty cycle

As GB said I suspect without a step up voltage mofset such as the one in the link I posted, then max voltage will be 14v or so and that's only with upgraded wiring to reduce voltage drop whilst still retaining fuel pump controller to regulate duty cycle

What to do???

bruce adjusted mine.

i guess you could check the fuel pump plug with a multi meter while driving the car hard and see what voltage at 100% duty cycle is if you can get it up that high, remember that if your driving with lights on or engine fan switches on there will be less voltage supplied overall

i like the idea of one of those units as they up the voltage and try keep it stable lots of guys in the states seem to use them, i have a feeling that i will be using one or doing 2 pump... if i have to run a fuel cooler then so be it im sure i can duct some air into one under the car or even run a mini fan
<GB>

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:41 pm

There's a sticky on the fuel pump controller, upgrades & voltage on nasioc or LGT iirc.
Have you seen this thread/links too?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2394788
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby <GB> » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:There's a sticky on the fuel pump controller, upgrades & voltage on nasioc or LGT iirc.
Have you seen this thread/links too?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2394788

interesting link ben thanks, might try this, i always wanted to upgrade grounds as thats pretty easy
<GB>

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:36 pm

The sticky is about lgt's only getting 12.? V at the fuel pump and using a different controller & upgraded wiring in parallel etc. ill dig it up l8r... In here lol http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 43860.html
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Tuning