Logger dropping out/RPM hesitates?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Logger dropping out/RPM hesitates?

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Owen - Sorry mate, but once again you don't know my circumstances. I know what you're and saying and it's not an option for me.

The only time I wasted was with kido. Which neither bruce nor you should be commenting on considering your own journeys.

And I have a perfectly good tune now! I did my logging driving to and from work. No down time, no wasting my time - I have to drive to work, why not have the laptop on anyway. No waiting at the dyno no having to drive in laps with a tuner next to you. All my tuning was done without me having to break my daily routine at all.

And if learning about how to tune cars and seeing how different settings bring the car to life - is wasting time...then I love wasting time! Blasting my finished product down the road knowing I made a part of that and didn't just buy it....more fun imo. If asking for advice from car enthusiasts is wasting time then neither me nor mick seem to care.

And this thread's logger issue would have occurred at the dyno anyway. Now it's and fixed and hopefully is a helpful thread for everyone.

Cost effective solution. ...I spent $530 on tunes without petrol money. The logging petrol i 'wasted' delivered me to my workplace. I didn't lose any money taking time off work. So in my situation I saved 370 on the tune, 2000 by staying at work, found and fixed issues which would have got me stuck in Sydney and spending more and losing time while 1000kms from home, learnt how to tune our cars and got involved in the process of tuning my own car. So now I know it's safe, not just because my tuner told me so.

That's $2500+ savings btw on one tune alone. And I can freely modify my hardware, new turbo, exhaust, pump - whenever i want and i don't have to go to Sydney for a retune everytime!!! Bahahaha

I study how to build planes and rockets - getting involved in setting up a car is kinda fun for me. I hope you don't think that's a waste of time.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby <GB> » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

what about pays hotels, fuel and drive there and backthats what 8-9 hours there 8-9 hours back 4-8 hours tuning an over night stay it wouldbe way worse than logging cause and tune cost so far
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby owen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Fair call
I just prefer to have everything done in a day and be perfect at that. Not have to carry a laptop in my passenger seat and constantly be worried about whether my block is gonna explode into the car next to me when I put my foot down.
I guess peace of mind and downtime, plus the fact that I enjoy driving my car, not fixing it..outweighs any enjoyment I would get from toying with a shit tune.
It's good to hear that you have a good tune now. Hopefully we can havr a dyno day soon so you can have a comparison
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby owen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:54 pm

<GB> wrote:what about pays hotels, fuel and drive there and backthats what 8-9 hours there 8-9 hours back 4-8 hours tuning an over night stay it wouldbe way worse than logging cause and tune cost so far

I had a car and accommodation up in syd and used the days as a chance to visit family and friends.
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby Hotwire » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:55 pm

This forum needs more of this:

|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 pm

<GB> wrote:what about pays hotels, fuel and drive there and backthats what 8-9 hours there 8-9 hours back 4-8 hours tuning an over night stay it wouldbe way worse than logging cause and tune cost so far

Ok here is the break up for anyone interested. This is one possible way of doing it and isn't that expensive in the whole scheme of things.

Leave after work Friday night. It's an 11 hour drive to Somersby from Melbourne with sufficient breaks. Petrol on cruise would be about 2 tanks if that. $180

MSR works on Saturday and the total time would be 1 day to check it, add anything else you want, and tune. The additional costs are within your control. Tune about $900

Fuel for the dyno tune. $50

Stay overnight if you wish to rest. Gosford RSL $130 per night and you get a free RSL membership worth about $70 from memory. $130

Meals if you're not fussed there's KFC across the road and a good coffee shop. The RSL does meals too and you get 10% off. $100

Up at 5:00am and start driving to avoid Sydney traffic and be back at home by 4:00pm Sunday. Again 2 tanks of fuel if that. $180

Total cost $1540

So the difference is about $600. MSR will check everything, advise you on the condition of your engine, cam gears etc all the other bits required and then tune your car. I've not read a bad review of his work and his fault diagnosis is second to none.

The only reason I promote his work is because I'm very fussy and his tune is awesome. The economy is great, 7.9l per 100kms on cruise and combined I've not seen more than 9.9L\100kms. It doesn't knock. He replies emails within a couple of hours and is a one man operation and stands by his work.

I wasted a heap of money on dyno tunes and etunes etc in Melbourne before I made the trip there. I reckon I'd be about $4000 richer if I went to him first off. And just trying to put some reasonable numbers around it can be done if anyone is interested.

I'm defintely not tryin to ram this option down people's throats or suggesting he's the be all and end all of tuning. Just he's a guy with a great rep who stands by his work and his communication and help is second to none.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm

bass_straitener wrote:
No ones calling you stupid and I don't think I inferred that so chill.

With regards the tune, was $330 for the Kido tune including dyno time, or was it $400 initial tune cost plus the dyno time of $330 plus the TP tuning of $200. That equals $930. :?

Don't worry I spent about the same on the same two tuners so I'm not trying to be smart either.

I'm not trying to push MSR down your throat or anything like that. But if anything like myself the whole process was very frustrating for me. The excuses for the lack of power or the knock or the Tactrix dropping out etc. It takes it toll.

Perhaps that's why you've either become an angry man or at the very least it isn't helping your condition. :lol:

Telling someone they modified their car wrong or wasted time - and cant work that out for themselves, kinda implies they can't do their own calculations.

I only spent 330 for dyno time with matt, as he offered to do it for free to try and get the tune right. So with two tunes from eric - $120+$80+$330=$530.

You've told me I should drive to msr like 4-5 times now, excluding this time? It's funny because I think you forget that you did and then do it again :D Anyway I always expect it when talking about mick to you, check our sms convo :lol:

I like your diagnosis lol it's true tuning with kido was like banging my head against a wall. Maybe why the doctor put me on these meds I was supposed to take this morning...ohshit. I'll brb.
alexeiwoody

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Hotwire wrote:This forum needs more of this:

Too much sex on the beach?
alexeiwoody

Postby <GB> » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm

dont sweat on it bro he tells me to take mine there too when its running like shit and i need a lv check ha ha its a joke that will never stop till i do lol
<GB>

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:13 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:I like your diagnosis lol it's true tuning with kido was like banging my head against a wall. Maybe why the doctor put me on these meds I was supposed to take this morning...ohshit. I'll brb.

I checked our SMS convo and it would seem you've banged your head before you start typing. :lol:

Yes please take your meds... I also recommend that.. :lol:

I'm just trying to save you from conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome or tenosynovitis from all that typing your doing trying to get your car's issues diagnosed.

Anyway goodluck, it's always entertaining reading.. :air_kiss:
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm

bass_straitener wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:I like your diagnosis lol it's true tuning with kido was like banging my head against a wall. Maybe why the doctor put me on these meds I was supposed to take this morning...ohshit. I'll brb.

I checked our SMS convo and it would seem you've banged your head before you start typing. :lol:

Yes please take your meds... I also recommend that.. :lol:

I'm just trying to save you from conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome or tenosynovitis from all that typing your doing trying to get your car's issues diagnosed.

Anyway goodluck, it's always entertaining reading.. :air_kiss:

Haha cheers, you should have been a doctor bruce :D Yes the journey has been 'entertaining', but I wouldn't change how I did it :) And I have all you guys to help when the going gets tough :oops: :D
alexeiwoody

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 am

Hmmmm old Brucey boy is now actually trying to convince people from Melbourne to spend 20 hours + driving just to get a tune.

IMO if I was going to come from Melbourne all that way for a tune I would not go to MSR I would go to Scott from Insight as I have been in cars tuned by both and much prefer the latter. But I wouldn't recommend anyone make that trip just for a tune, not unless they are coming to Sydney anyway.

And no comments about why I don't use Scott instead of KiDO; I do use Scott, his tune is my P98 tune, KiDo's is the E85 tune.
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 am

Rome_STI wrote:Hmmmm old Brucey boy is now actually trying to convince people from Melbourne to spend 20 hours + driving just to get a tune.

IMO if I was going to come from Melbourne all that way for a tune I would not go to MSR I would go to Scott from Insight as I have been in cars tuned by both and much prefer the latter. But I wouldn't recommend anyone make that trip just for a tune, not unless they are coming to Sydney anyway.

And no comments about why I don't use Scott instead of KiDO; I do use Scott, his tune is my P98 tune, KiDo's is the E85 tune.

Rome_STI wrote:
Look I'm ignoring your posts from now on Bruce say what you want I'm over your self-pretentious crap. You haven't changed since our first blow up, you got better for a while but now it's even worse.

I see you couldn't resist... :lol:

Having any issues yourself. I've not seen any updates with regards your tuning with your Easy Writer install.

So you have tuners for the one car. WOW.. :shock:

What's the story here. Scott can't tune E85 or Kido can't tune 98.
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby <GB> » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 am

Rome_STI wrote:Hmmmm old Brucey boy is now actually trying to convince people from Melbourne to spend 20 hours + driving just to get a tune.

not being an ass but have you actually seen one of msr tune on the computer? theyre pretty dam good i must say, having looked at heaps of different tunes he is the shit, pitty he is so far away. i have seen the difference it made to one car not 2 different cars which really you cant compare

try not to be a hater of bruce hes a top bloke and trys to help people, not sure how many you help up your way but i think bruce would be close to 20-30 people easy helping with tunes checking lv, helping people find cheaper parts sending stuff and picking up stuff and not getting anything for it. also his hopitality is awesome

also can scott tune with ecu managed boost?
<GB>

Postby senator » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:10 am

<GB> wrote:

not being an ass but have you actually seen one of msr tune on the computer? theyre pretty dam good i must say, having looked at heaps of different tunes he is the shit, pitty he is so far away. i have seen the difference it made to one car not 2 different cars which really you cant compare

try not to be a hater of bruce hes a top bloke and trys to help people, not sure how many you help up your way but i think bruce would be close to 20-30 people easy helping with tunes checking lv, helping people find cheaper parts sending stuff and picking up stuff and not getting anything for it. also his hopitality is awesome

also can scott tune with ecu managed boost?

Insight and MSR are miles apart.

With all due to respect to MSR, Michael South has slot to learn before being compared to Scott from Insight.

How many non-Subaru rally, drag and time attack cars has MSR tuned?????

Do some research and you’ll know that Scott tunes anything and everything and not just locally.

Unlike most Tuners Scott is more than happy to tune to whatever the customers wants and stand by his work and this is proven by not locking ECU………… Owen can confirm this and I pretty sure Bruce has had are look at Scott’s handy work too.

Scott has tuned plenty of soobi’s with ecu managed boost…..one was even a MSR built and tuned my 07 tb sti 5eat which was rebuilt G88 and retuned by Scott due to ongoing boost leaks and unstable idle…. Final result with e85 was 230kw atw.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning