Logger dropping out/RPM hesitates?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Logger dropping out/RPM hesitates?

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Bruce you suggested the logger is logging too many parameters (12 you said in sms is the limit)...so now we know I have no trouble holding more than 20 now with a few 4 byte and 2 bytes in there. Not ideal setup as can slow the logging, so I only ran 20+ to test it. :)

By the way I upgraded the battery negative grounding wires just in case, was taking guesses wildly. Started with the cheapest solution through to most expensive :) Most expensive was the go....haha
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby bass_straitener » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:12 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Bruce you suggested the logger is logging too many parameters (12 you said in sms is the limit)...so now we know I have no trouble holding more than 20 now with a few 4 byte and 2 bytes in there. Not ideal setup as can slow the logging, so I only ran 20+ to test it. :)

By the way I upgraded the battery negative grounding wires just in case, was taking guesses wildly. Started with the cheapest solution through to most expensive :) Most expensive was the go....haha

The limit I mentioned was for useful log information for tuning purposes. Anything greater I've found loses information due to too long a refresh rate.

Anyway glad you got to the bottom of it.

What were the condition of the plugs? And were they very old. Also did you replace with one step colder plugs or OEM replacements.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:15 am

My spark plugs were replaced last September and I still had this issue logging at the end of last year, so I don't think it is spark plugs given Kieran also still has the issue with new spark plugs.

It's also definitely not the logging of too many parameters for me as I have logged as little as 6 and still get the drop out after 5,000rpm.
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 am

Hey bruce yeah I know mate, just updating you in regards to that :)

My plugs were NGK standard barely 40k km old. Bit dirty actually, carbon covered. Replaced with NGK one step colder :D

It was definitely my plugs Jerome, took advice from msr on that one. As mentioned all my grounding wires have been cleaned and checked, new battery has helped visibly but didn't fix the issue. So see what works for you.
alexeiwoody

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Hey bruce yeah I know mate, just updating you in regards to that :)

My plugs were NGK standard barely 40k km old. Bit dirty actually, carbon covered. Replaced with NGK one step colder :D

It was definitely my plugs Jerome, took advice from msr on that one. As mentioned all my grounding wires have been cleaned and checked, new battery has helped visibly but didn't fix the issue. So see what works for you.

I will have to check my grounding wires anyway due to an issue I had last week, hopefully can kill two birds with one stone :)
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am

I've read a tonne of nasioc/rom raider threads on it and it's always a different issue. Most get it fixed with better grounding (our cars, since 2000 i think, have really good grounding, and plenty of it, connections or wires can get old though) ob2 pins cleaned, ferrite chokes on obd2 port wires, one guy fixed his with a new battery while another was like wtf mine hasn't been fixed by that at all.

A quick visual check and a voltmeter will show up grounding issues, all my wires and connections were actually good prior to cleaning. Cleaning them didn't visibly help at all. Try some chokes as they're cheap

Big thank you to msr who pin pointed it first go with the info I posted here :)
alexeiwoody

Postby owen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:I've read a tonne of nasioc/rom raider threads on it and it's always a different issue. Most get it fixed with better grounding (our cars, since 2000 i think, have really good grounding, and plenty of it, connections or wires can get old though) ob2 pins cleaned, ferrite chokes on obd2 port wires, one guy fixed his with a new battery while another was like wtf mine hasn't been fixed by that at all.

A quick visual check and a voltmeter will show up grounding issues, all my wires and connections were actually good prior to cleaning. Cleaning them didn't visibly help at all. Try some chokes as they're cheap

Big thank you to msr who pin pointed it first go with the info I posted here :)

You're now working with MSR? How many tunes are you running? One for each day of the week?
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Yeah man! I just needed msr to develop a wet weather day tune for me, to account for the extra water on the intercooler. I switch tunes depending on the weather. :lol:

But seriously, I like to ask experts for help when google/search doesn't work out. How'd you get that he's tuning my car from that? Im still tuning with TP same as always after kido didn't work out.
alexeiwoody

Postby <GB> » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 am

I thought I had a hybrid tune
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby owen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am

Oh ok. That's a little odd for a business to be giving away free advice. Perhaps he's hoping you'll finally pull your finger out and get a proper tune and wont have to worry about ur logging issues anymore.
owen

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Man I've asked him for a way to pay him in just about every one or the 30-40 emails I've sent over the year, he keeps saying it's a freebee :) and he replies FAST. If he lived closer I'd be there in a flash.

No logging issues anymore :lol: and hopefully this thread helps someone else
alexeiwoody

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

owen wrote:Oh ok. That's a little odd for a business to be giving away free advice. Perhaps he's hoping you'll finally pull your finger out and get a proper tune and wont have to worry about ur logging issues anymore.

This ^^^

The amount of money and time spent on logging and petrol for all those 3rd gear pulls, you would have been there and back and possibly in front too, trying to sort out your issues.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Sorry mate but you cant assume that driving to Sydney is the same for everyone, unless you know my circumstances. Like I said - if he lived closer I'd be there in a flash. At the moment it's all on hold until I either get a forged motor or sell the car.

And btw I've spent $200 with eric for two tunes, $330 with kido for a dyno tune. 1 msr tune costs $900. And surely 30 or so 3rd gear pulls cost less than driving 2000kms. I know you love msr, I want his babies too, but you don't have to call me stupid just because youre trying to point how good msr is.

And you know im an angry man. Why push me?! Jks
alexeiwoody

Postby owen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:02 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Sorry mate but you cant assume that driving to Sydney is the same for everyone, unless you know my circumstances. Like I said - if he lived closer I'd be there in a flash. At the moment it's all on hold until I either get a forged motor or sell the car.

And btw I've spent $200 with eric for two tunes, $330 with kido for a dyno tune. 1 msr tune costs $900. And surely 30 or so 3rd gear pulls cost less than driving 2000kms. I know you love msr, I want his babies too, but you don't have to call me stupid just because youre trying to point how good msr is.

What about time? Time is a lot more valuable than a couple hundred bucks. Bruce and I may have spent a few hundred extra on fuel, but I dare say we have saved thousands on downtime spent logging and messing around with incomplete tunes. Unless you enjoy wasting your own time and others', if that's the case I have nothing further to say.
Not having a personal dig at you, just presenting you with a more cost effective tuning solution.
owen

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Sorry mate but you cant assume that driving to Sydney is the same for everyone, unless you know my circumstances. Like I said - if he lived closer I'd be there in a flash. At the moment it's all on hold until I either get a forged motor or sell the car.

No ones calling you stupid and I don't think I inferred that so chill.

With regards the tune, was $330 for the Kido tune including dyno time, or was it $400 initial tune cost plus the dyno time of $330 plus the TP tuning of $200. That equals $930. :?

Don't worry I spent about the same on the same two tuners so I'm not trying to be smart either.

I'm not trying to push MSR down your throat or anything like that. But if anything like myself the whole process was very frustrating for me. The excuses for the lack of power or the knock or the Tactrix dropping out etc. It takes it toll.

Perhaps that's why you've either become an angry man or at the very least it isn't helping your condition. :lol:
bass_straitener
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning