5EAT Tuning and how not to end up with a farked gearbox...

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: 5EAT Tuning and how not to end up with a farked gearbox.

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm

So what is the solution for getting the 5EAT to shift out of 1st instead of shitting itself before shifting into 2nd?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby dr20t » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Rome_STI wrote:So what is the solution for getting the 5EAT to shift out of 1st instead of shitting itself before shifting into 2nd?

Boost taper toward redline

High boost conditions in first do not allow tcu to shift as shift parameters are not met

Even when we increased the boost referenced shift threshold on my rom to 22psi it still wouldn't shift so only way is to taper it plus some dbw adjustments me think

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 pm

dr20t wrote:
Rome_STI wrote:So what is the solution for getting the 5EAT to shift out of 1st instead of shitting itself before shifting into 2nd?

Boost taper toward redline

High boost conditions in first do not allow tcu to shift as shift parameters are not met

Even when we increased the boost referenced shift threshold on my rom to 22psi it still wouldn't shift so only way is to taper it plus some dbw adjustments me think

Mick

Yes but I want to see this actually done in practice not in theory
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Also your auto was different to Rome's (unless you're talking about your new one?) So whether that applies to our gearbox? I have no problem shifting out on 19psi.

I do remember my kido dyno tune had a mistake in that same spot I couldn't WOT it out of first gear. In my case it was probably the engine temps were higher during the tune and it wasn't countered in in the final tune - then next day engine bay and tmic are nice and cool, colder air comes into turbo more than what the ecu is expecting, boost builds too fast, suddenly ecu realises it's overshot target boost anddd voila....boost spike every time like clockwork :)

Having a fmic though, is yours a gearbox thing, jerome? Had it for long?
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby dr20t » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:39 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Also your auto was different to Rome's (unless you're talking about your new one?) So whether that applies to our gearbox? I have no problem shifting out on 19psi.

I do remember my kido dyno tune had a mistake in that same spot I couldn't WOT it out of first gear. In my case it was probably the engine temps were higher during the tune and it wasn't countered in in the final tune - then next day engine bay and tmic are nice and cool, colder air comes into turbo more than what the ecu is expecting, boost builds too fast, suddenly ecu realises it's overshot target boost anddd voila....boost spike every time like clockwork :)

Having a fmic though, is yours a gearbox thing, jerome? Had it for long?

How different do you think the boxes are?
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 pm

dr20t wrote:How different do you think the boxes are?

I thought Matt wrote somewhere about the different (03-06 and then 07-09) ecu logics boost settings and Wot etc affecting the gear shifts - is what I was referring to.
alexeiwoody

Postby <GB> » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 am

What rpm are you guys shifting at at what boost?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 am

ECU controlling boost lets it shift on time by dropping boost to unload the gearbox, very similar to what a manual gearchange would do etc. Alternative is dropping the throttle to about 20% or less as it approaches 6400rpm etc

Your HKS Easy Writer fixes that ;)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:

ECU controlling boost lets it shift on time by dropping boost to unload the gearbox, very similar to what a manual gearchange would do etc. Alternative is dropping the throttle to about 20% or less as it approaches 6400rpm etc

Well I hope so because it's starting to piss me off! :evil:

And GB there is no option to shift sooner in my car. No matter when I try to upshift it myself, it will always rev out to the limiter in 1st when I'm running S# mode in high boost
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby <GB> » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Rome_STI wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:

And GB there is no option to shift sooner in my car. No matter when I try to upshift it myself, it will always rev out to the limiter in 1st when I'm running S# mode in high boost

ah i see, what happens if you do as matt says and back of the throttle a little?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:07 pm

<GB> wrote:
Rome_STI wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:

ah i see, what happens if you do as matt says and back of the throttle a little?

I think he was talking about dropping it in the tune, but if he is referring to my actual pedal, when I accelerate at about 80% from a start I can get it into 2nd but it kind of holds onto 1st for a while before going into 2nd
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby chook » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:18 pm

I don't know how different the transmissions are but mine holds 22psi all the way to redline and has never hit the limiter in any gear, I have had a valve body mod to increase line pressure so maybe this helps? I don't know but hope you guys get it sorted soon.
chook

Car: MY04 liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19501

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:48 pm

chook wrote:I don't know how different the transmissions are but mine holds 22psi all the way to redline and has never hit the limiter in any gear, I have had a valve body mod to increase line pressure so maybe this helps? I don't know but hope you guys get it sorted soon.

How much power is yours putting out now Chook? Cos I didn't have this issue previously only at current power levels
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby chook » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Last tune at Insight netted 224awkw
chook

Car: MY04 liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19501

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:

Why the need for hks here (the differences between the ecu and the evc are not that drastically different to not be able to shift correctly. Many tuners prefer the factory ecu to the hks unit anyway and some consider the ecu downright superior. A small change in the tune would just about equate the two setups, for our purpose of unloading the gearbox. Im not following why jerome has to put up with this issue...?) And as far as I can tell this hasn't been fixed for quite a while now? Just confused/curious? :?
alexeiwoody

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning