5EAT Tuning and how not to end up with a farked gearbox...

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: 5EAT Tuning and how not to end up with a farked gearbox.

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:39 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:
Rome_STI wrote:So what is the solution for getting the 5EAT to shift out of 1st instead of shitting itself before shifting into 2nd?

ECU controlling boost lets it shift on time by dropping boost to unload the gearbox, very similar to what a manual gearchange would do etc. Alternative is dropping the throttle to about 20% or less as it approaches 6400rpm etc

Your HKS Easy Writer fixes that ;)

Why the need for hks here (the differences between the ecu and the evc are not that drastically different to not be able to shift correctly. Many tuners prefer the factory ecu to the hks unit anyway and some consider the ecu downright superior. A small change in the tune would just about equate the two setups, for our purpose of unloading the gearbox. Im not following why jerome has to put up with this issue...?) And as far as I can tell this hasn't been fixed for quite a while now? Just confused/curious? :?

It has been discussed before, G88 fitted the HKS originally and I have recommended ECU boost control a few times but will be using the HKS Easy Writer. Logs show there is no transmission damage/issues as it holds torque the whole rev range, just the torque holds too well with the added power and the ECU cannot change fast enough when 1st gear is over in under 2 seconds.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby chook » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Is it possible to make first gear longer?
chook

Car: MY04 liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19501

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 pm

chook wrote:Is it possible to make first gear longer?

It is still a ratio, no point lifting the rev limiter either as the stock crank does not like big rpm ;)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby Kekotic » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:

It is still a ratio, no point lifting the rev limiter either as the stock crank does not like big rpm ;)

It should be as easy as it was in Gran Turismo. 160 in first gear...
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby Rome_BRZ » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:

And it's already raised to 7,200 :wink:
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat May 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Rome_STI wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:

And it's already raised to 7,200 :wink:

Does not get there though ;) Throttle shuts to induce a gear shift but since the EVC holds boost, I left Scotts rev limiter :) Once boost drops off, it will shift harder/faster :)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun May 05, 2013 12:11 am

Sounds good, I'm guessing we're waiting till the 22nd to find out how you guys go

Got a question for you matt, why does raising the entire RT not work? Doesn't it put more pressure on the lines like you said? Haven't bothered testing the 2011 lgt tune, already compared stock, torqued performance stock and also multiple increased requested torque maps and kido dyno tune - I could maybe say the auto mode is possibly a smidget better on the dyno tune if any? Nothing that really stands out. While manual mode is identical maybe leaning toward the stock tune. At my power doesn't make any difference in my humble opinion.

More power coming soon. Will keep at it. So far it's all been a bit 'placebo effectful', and car hasn't gotten any faster :(
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Sounds good, I'm guessing we're waiting till the 22nd to find out how you guys go

Got a question for you matt, why does raising the entire RT not work? Doesn't it put more pressure on the lines like you said? Haven't bothered testing the 2011 lgt tune, already compared stock, torqued performance stock and also multiple increased requested torque maps and kido dyno tune - I could maybe say the auto mode is possibly a smidget better on the dyno tune if any? Nothing that really stands out. While manual mode is identical maybe leaning toward the stock tune. At my power doesn't make any difference in my humble opinion.

More power coming soon. Will keep at it. So far it's all been a bit 'placebo effectful', and car hasn't gotten any faster :(

Are you doing TCU resets and relearns between them? The transmission computer holds parameters in RAM even after a reflash :)

USA Legacygt forum tuners also use stock or close to it... considering the number I have retuned with even just a DBW fix for more transmission lock up it must be doing something right. Dan at RTR noted the slip that was in yours as it came in. Yet I managed more wheel torque from less boost at low rpm without transmission slip showing something was obviously working :) Maybe try putting 4 friends in the car to load up the car?
With a full TBE and 3 port, the VF46 LGT 5EAT can manage 4.4 seconds 0-110kph(11 samples at 0.4 intervals for 0kph to 110kph so it could be counted at 4 seconds but rounding up) without any transmission slip and it ran a flat 13 second 1/4 mile :)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun May 05, 2013 11:20 am

Yes tcu resets make a difference initially, then it just feels the same after a while. Which points more to just the tcu relearning making it feel different, the tunes on the other hand don't differ noticeably.

So why doesn't increasing the entire RT work?

And dan at rtr said to me it was slipping on your tune as well... :? he said ditch the car, the tranny is slipping, no point in more power, autos aren't reliable, can't hold the power etc etc etc
alexeiwoody

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Yes tcu resets make a difference initially, then it just feels the same after a while. Which points more to just the tcu relearning making it feel different, the tunes on the other hand don't differ noticeably.

So why doesn't increasing the entire RT work?

And dan at rtr said to me it was slipping on your tune as well... :? he said ditch the car, the tranny is slipping, no point in more power, autos aren't reliable, can't hold the power etc etc etc

It was not slipping, the 'waves' was a dyno issue as confirmed by a manual having the same problem on the Thursday I was there ;)

Ask Kewish Transmissions in Dandenong to confirm I know what I am on about ;) It definitely does make a difference. Send me some RomRaider TCU logs of all available logging parameters. I have ones from a few other members that I can use as a baseline for an overlay :)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed May 08, 2013 12:09 am

Not a problem, give me until Thursday though.

Edit: you've really been around dandenong haven't you :)
alexeiwoody

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed May 08, 2013 1:41 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Not a problem, give me until Thursday though.

Edit: you've really been around dandenong haven't you :)

No rush, just keen to see why it is not functioning correctly now.

I am tuning a built 4EAT by them and Marks Veloci box was built by them :)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby JMlegacy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Kido, I remember you telling me the 05LGT uses a different logic.
Can you give any info on tuning the 05 LGT 5EAT?
JDM LGT 2.0 Gutted
JMlegacy

Car: Legacy GT 2004

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:23 pm

A bit of an update. Still running a tune with the Rq Torque values multiplied by 1.2 from stock. No difference in S or I mode, but S# locks up/drops gears faster when in auto mode. Pretty handy thing to have if you cbf manual moding. Makes for more responsive power.

The problem comes once the gears shift down - they then don't really want to shift back up by themself (like a stock gearbox), and it either sits in 3rd or 4th for a while/forever. Switch to S mode - and voila straight away it shifts to 5th like normal. Again, I'm talking about the auto mode and letting the box decide the gear, I am not saying that there are any problems manually shifting up or down at any stage.

Any thoughts Matt?
alexeiwoody

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:21 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:A bit of an update. Still running a tune with the Rq Torque values multiplied by 1.2 from stock. No difference in S or I mode, but S# locks up/drops gears faster when in auto mode. Pretty handy thing to have if you cbf manual moding. Makes for more responsive power.

The problem comes once the gears shift down - they then don't really want to shift back up by themself (like a stock gearbox), and it either sits in 3rd or 4th for a while/forever. Switch to S mode - and voila straight away it shifts to 5th like normal. Again, I'm talking about the auto mode and letting the box decide the gear, I am not saying that there are any problems manually shifting up or down at any stage.

Any thoughts Matt?

Obviously multiplying the low RT vales by 1.2(say 50x1.2 = 60) is going to cause issues at light throttle.

KiDo_Tuning

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning