[Split from] Learning View Snapshots \ Discussions

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

[Split from] Learning View Snapshots \ Discussions

Postby jaydece » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:20 pm

[Edit by Ric. These are posts split away from the original "Learning View Snapshots \ Discussions" topic.
Please cut out the personal attacks, or I'll be forced to start banning people!]

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/162997-throttle-happy/page__st__140

1/ some pointers and notes on LV
2/ and other misc details :wink:

Very Very interesting read :)
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Re: Learning View Snapshots \ Discussions

Postby jacks-GTB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 pm

jaydece wrote:http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/162997-throttle-happy/page__st__140

1/ some pointers and notes on LV
2/ and other misc details :wink:

Very Very interesting read :)

my daily read :) not even my laptop could keep up with the reloading that topic :) hehe
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby dazzz168 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
senator wrote:Should be interesting to see how the E85 tuned cars perform with this year’s summer temps and humidity

12.57 1/4 mile from a TD04 SH9 Forester on corn last night(which makes it 2nd fastest SH9 in the world, 1st place has built motor, cams, SR56 turbo and 6 speed).

LOL...

Edit: Actually, LOL x 100. A lot of funny tuner replies in this thread.
dazzz168

Car: Forester XT & TB STi Lib
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20816

Postby <GB> » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Don't u believe that dazz?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby dr20t » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Dazz isn't a bot lol
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Beware the bots but that was a "Back On Topic". :-)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 am

Worked out that 99% of my FLKC occurring in some cars is not timing related(less timing in most spots and more fuel than some tuners) after going through my tunes. Changing the wastegate tables in achieving a smooth boost curve is causing pneumatics vacuum/boost oscillation with the wastegate.
Other tuners(plus stock setup) target 5psi before ramping up quickly onto target boost which makes the boost come on sharply. My tunes are a smooth ramp up the same way Audi/VW setup their cars as the power feeds on, making the car easier to balance on the throttle instead of the all or nothing approach. Means I can tune for torque at varying loads rather than just flat lines of timing and cam timing

The fix was easily rectified, giving the boost solenoid something to do off boost in the wastegate tables means no more noise. Lowered Max WGDC on left side of table might slow spool but it eliminates the turbo oscillating while finding target boost. Alexeis logs being fine after a new tune loaded, then developing noise had me on the right track and easily rectified with some thought into what was the cause.

Updating those who may be affected asap :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:53 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Worked out that 99% of my FLKC occurring in some cars is not timing related(less timing in most spots and more fuel than some tuners) after going through my tunes. Changing the wastegate tables in achieving a smooth boost curve is causing pneumatics vacuum/boost oscillation with the wastegate.
Other tuners(plus stock setup) target 5psi before ramping up quickly onto target boost which makes the boost come on sharply. My tunes are a smooth ramp up the same way Audi/VW setup their cars as the power feeds on, making the car easier to balance on the throttle instead of the all or nothing approach. Means I can tune for torque at varying loads rather than just flat lines of timing and cam timing

The fix was easily rectified, giving the boost solenoid something to do off boost in the wastegate tables means no more noise. Lowered Max WGDC on left side of table might slow spool but it eliminates the turbo oscillating while finding target boost. Alexeis logs being fine after a new tune loaded, then developing noise had me on the right track and easily rectified with some thought into what was the cause.

Wow finally an admission that your tune was not perfect and better than anything else going round. :D

From what I've observed, you've changed your AVCS thinking.

And now your WGDC tables. :shock:

I agree your timing tables are pretty conservative.

Fuelling is also very conservative. I don't know why you'd drop AFRs into the 12s on 1 psi boost.

How about a refund for someone who told you all along your AVCS was too aggressive and WGDC and boost management was causing boost oscillation? :air_kiss:
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby jaydece » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 am

bass_straitener wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:Worked out that 99% of my FLKC occurring in some cars is not timing related(less timing in most spots and more fuel than some tuners) after going through my tunes. Changing the wastegate tables in achieving a smooth boost curve is causing pneumatics vacuum/boost oscillation with the wastegate.

Wow finally an admission that your tune was not perfect and better than anything else going round. :D

From what I've observed, you've changed your AVCS thinking.

And now your WGDC tables. :shock:

I agree your timing tables are pretty conservative.

Fuelling is also very conservative. I don't know why you'd drop AFRs into the 12s on 1 psi boost.

How about a refund for someone who told you all along your AVCS was too aggressive and WGDC and boost management was causing boost oscillation? :air_kiss:

As a witness I can honestly say that Bruce has mentioned this issue and problem of above, he brought it to matts attention SEVERAL times and Bruce also verified and discussed this with me, several others in this forum, other forums, various tuners and other knowledgeable based personal...

Good work Bruce! All your homework is paying off :wink:
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby dazzz168 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Wow! I thought I'd never see the day when you made any kind of confessions as such. Well done.
dazzz168

Postby <GB> » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:53 pm

:)

youre not talking about wastegate chatter causing knock in the learning veiw?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby dazzz168 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm

He's talking about how he's just realized the right way to tune properly. It's a good start... but too late for some...
dazzz168

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 am

dazzz168 wrote:He's talking about how he's just realized the right way to tune properly. It's a good start... but too late for some...

0% wgdc as you know from my initial wgdc maps in left column is the issue, stock is not zero but since 300RT target boost = wastegate pressure, I made it 0%.

I got sick of boost error at 300RT so made changes recently as it works on acceleration. Back off and pneumatics means your on spring pressure so wastegate rattles. Give it say 10% preload like factory and no more noise, add timing back in and knock free. Yes, I used to tune with preload but was hard achieving wastegate pressure.

One day you might retry stock Cruise AVCS and Cruise Timing with a few small tweaks like Mark did and notice a difference as well ;)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby oxtail » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 am

After more confusing "things" in TH post

dazz still summed it quite well.

by dazzz168 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm
He's talking about how he's just realized the right way to tune properly. It's a good start... but too late for some...
oxtail

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 am

oxtail wrote:After more confusing "things" in TH post

dazz still summed it quite well.

by dazzz168 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Like wanting me to pull more and more timing based on FLKC despite engine load remaining constant and a dyno tune being knock free except turbo dynamics fluctuates and causes wastegate noise during driving... check exrexs thread for what happens when timing is overly retarded past peak torque... EGT's rise, preignition sets in with excess fuel in bores and heat melts pistons that show no evidence of knock.

Think someone has mentioned that before...

Knock sensors pickup up noise, not just detonation.

KiDo_Tuning

Next

Return to Tuning