Codes 13, 23, 31 and 32. Replaced sensors, same codes, help!

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Codes 13, 23, 31 and 32. Replaced sensors, same codes, help!

Postby Nosferatu » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi,

My 91 Liberty (non-turbo) throws 13, 23, 31 and 32 codes.

Cam angle sensor was replaced with a second hand good one, throttle position sensor connector cleaned and inspected, MAF sensor was replaced with a good second hand and O2 sensor was replaced with a brand new sensor - still same codes!

Checked and cleaned every earth ground in the engine bay, reset the codes, and it still throws the same codes as soon as it goes into self test mode (green connector).

The car starts and runs quite normal in idle. It is a little hesitant in the 2200 - 2500rpm, and then goes back to normal. Also the exhaust smells of unburnt fuel with a little of grey/blackish smoke coming out. Fuel economy is down to 300-320kms per tank which is ridiculously more than the nice 400-450kms I got previously.

It did have an issue with the harmonic balancer getting loose (because the idiot who removed it last did not put thread locker on it), the result was a near-snapped crank pin. Could not afford to change the crankshaft so I re-aligned the crank pulley with the pin position and put small welds on the pulley to hold it in place. Then machined the harmonic balancer (about 3mm on the inside bure that faces the crank pulley) to fit over the welds. The engine started running wierd when the crank pulley was loose but ran good after the fix. The fix was done over 2 years ago and it only started throwing the codes recently, so I doubt that it would have had an impact on the electrical, but anything is possible i guess.

Can anyone please advise what can be the problem?
Nosferatu

Return to Tuning