Is my ECU a Denso or Hitachi?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Is my ECU a Denso or Hitachi?

Postby NDJ93 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to whether the ECU in my 2007 Liberty 2.5i (NA) Wagon is a Denso or Hitachi unit? To be more specific my wagon is a post-facelift model and was manufactured on the 03/2007. The reason I ask is because I would like to make some simple mods to the car, but do not want to go ahead with them unless I know my car is tuneable, that is so that I can achieve the maximum power for say a full exhaust system and cold air intake system.

Cheers!
NDJ93

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty 2.5i Wagon

Re: Is my ECU a Denso or Hitachi?

Postby Deep Heat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Just open it up and have a look. It's not hard to get to the ecu in our cars.
Jack_Keaka wrote: I like my women like subarus, box explodes and does a head easily.
Deep Heat
formerly Twinkle

Postby d-chang » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:36 pm

I am actually curious of this too... as I am wanting to get it KiDo Tuned!

After a quick browse through the engine bay... I located this... however I am not too sure if this is the right thing I am looking at. I know it seems from some of you guys on the forum that it is pretty straight forward to find the ecu, but I actually don't know what one looks like... so please help us novices out...

Denso.jpg
Denso.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 10738 times
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby HyRax » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:24 pm

The ECU is located in the front passenger seat footwell underneath a plate under the carpet.

Simply pull the carpet back, remove the plate and have a look at the label on the ECU.

Alternatively, if you have access to someone with a Tactrix cable, you can try and take a copy of your ECU's ROM via the OBD-II port. If it fails, you have a Hitachi. If it works, you have a Denso.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby NDJ93 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:02 am

HyRax wrote:The ECU is located in the front passenger seat footwell underneath a plate under the carpet.

Simply pull the carpet back, remove the plate and have a look at the label on the ECU.

Alternatively, if you have access to someone with a Tactrix cable, you can try and take a copy of your ECU's ROM via the OBD-II port. If it fails, you have a Hitachi. If it works, you have a Denso.

Okay, so as my Saturday was relatively uneventful, I thought to give this a go, I found the OBDII port in my driver side footwell and thought to pull apart the plastic housing in hope to find either a Denso or Hitachi label, but I couldn't find one (well in the limited light that was in my garage).

But now I am reading that I need to pull away the carpet underneath the passenger side foot-well. Could someone please confirm this for me, before I pull apart the carpet on the passenger side? Sorry for being such a pain, but I am a novice when it comes to these things and would like to be absolutely sure before I attempt anything.
NDJ93

Postby HyRax » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:52 am

NDJ93 wrote:Okay, so as my Saturday was relatively uneventful, I thought to give this a go, I found the OBDII port in my driver side footwell and thought to pull apart the plastic housing in hope to find either a Denso or Hitachi label, but I couldn't find one (well in the limited light that was in my garage).

Access to the ECU via a PC is done via the OBD-II port on the driver-side. Access to the ECU via a human being is done on the passenger-side.

Believe me, it's there! :lol: Here's a pic to prove it. This is from a LHD car, so mirror it for your car. You also don't need to pull the interior apart as much as the photo depicts - you just need to pull back (not up) the carpet.

The ECU the large square that is literally underneath the feet of your front passenger that you can see in the pic with the cable loom going into it.
HyRax

Postby NDJ93 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Cheers Hyrax, I shall definitely have a go when I get some time. Wish my luck with those plastic panels (I hate pulling them off because I'm never too sure how much force to apply)! :wink:
NDJ93

Postby d-chang » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 pm

I was told by Matt at KiDo that the ECU is located in the ENGINE BAY, underneath the throttle body... so it will either have a Hitachi or Denso casted in the metal underneath or stamped on.

Hitachi.jpg
Hitachi.jpg (131.72 KiB) Viewed 10695 times
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Postby zch91 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:00 pm

d-chang wrote:I was told by Matt at KiDo that the ECU is located in the ENGINE BAY, underneath the throttle body... so it will either have a Hitachi or Denso casted in the metal underneath or stamped on.

Hitachi.jpg

Not sure if serious.... :?
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby d-chang » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:03 pm

HyRax wrote:
NDJ93 wrote:Okay, so as my Saturday was relatively uneventful, I thought to give this a go, I found the OBDII port in my driver side footwell and thought to pull apart the plastic housing in hope to find either a Denso or Hitachi label, but I couldn't find one (well in the limited light that was in my garage).

Access to the ECU via a PC is done via the OBD-II port on the driver-side. Access to the ECU via a human being is done on the passenger-side.

Believe me, it's there! :lol: Here's a pic to prove it. This is from a LHD car, so mirror it for your car. You also don't need to pull the interior apart as much as the photo depicts - you just need to pull back (not up) the carpet.

The ECU the large square that is literally underneath the feet of your front passenger that you can see in the pic with the cable loom going into it.

Ohh my... there's no way am I going to dismantle my glovebox and stuff just see what my ECU is... hahaha!

d-chang
-stickered-

Postby d-chang » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 pm

zch91 wrote:
d-chang wrote:I was told by Matt at KiDo that the ECU is located in the ENGINE BAY, underneath the throttle body... so it will either have a Hitachi or Denso casted in the metal underneath or stamped on.

Hitachi.jpg

I went to check on it this morning and indeed it has Hitachi in metal underneath it... and KiDo can't help me coz he only tunes Denso ECU Libs. I am so sad right now... :(

d-chang
-stickered-

Postby HyRax » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:28 pm

d-chang wrote:I was told by Matt at KiDo that the ECU is located in the ENGINE BAY, underneath the throttle body...

No... And the ECU has a sticker on it, not embossing.

Theoretically the Hitachi's ARE tunable, it's just that the ECUFlash software used to read and write ROMs by open source tuners doesn't support Hitachi, so you're forced to look at piggyback/intercepter options or complete ECU replacements.

Using ROMRaider and a Tactrix lead, it is perfectly possible to monitor Hitachi ECU's - you just can't modify the bugger.

So far what I've seen is that all the 2.0R's are not tunable because of the Hitachi ECU. From what I gather, all Gen4 2.5i's from MY07 onwards should theoretically be Denso.
HyRax

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 am

What was meant by that picture is that Hitachi ECU's use a Hitachi stamped throttle body, so to simplify you can check the casting mark in the throttle. So the ECU brand is located in the engine bay :)

Yes, all 2.5i have a Denso ECU due to the VVL system implementation. Some major gains to be made from exhaust breathing mods!
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:55 am

d-chang wrote:
zch91 wrote:

Hitachi.jpg

I went to check on it this morning and indeed it has Hitachi in metal underneath it... and KiDo can't help me coz he only tunes Denso ECU Libs. I am so sad right now... :(

Hitachi use a Unisia JECS based ECU so they can be tuned but it is a painful process. Nissan had DBW throttles in 2001 on the SR20VET engine with a Hitachi ECU.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby NDJ93 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am

Alright, so I finally got around to have a look at the make and model of my ECU as I had to pull away part of the carpet in my passenger side footwell to run the cabling for my new amp. In the process I saw the metal plate protecting my ECU and could it it resist taking it off to check whether I was on the holy grail of tuning; I was stoked to see the word 'Denso' printed on my ECU :D
NDJ93

Next

Return to Tuning