Learning View Snapshots \ Discussions

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Learning View Snapshots \ Discussions

Postby jaydece » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
Aidos wrote:I've just been reading some similar things... Rethinking my tuner of choice now

I'm pretty happy with Matts tuning on my car so far, the only thing I have come across that I haven't liked is his turning off the wastegate CEL when boost spikes. I have turned mine back on, but hopefully he will either tell people he is doing it or stop doing it altogether.

For $400 I still think it's a bargain :D

Thanks for sharing your experience Kieran :)

In the end? I Hope all works out and you achieve the goal your after safely :)
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:
Aidos wrote:I've just been reading some similar things... Rethinking my tuner of choice now

I'm pretty happy with Matts tuning on my car so far, the only thing I have come across that I haven't liked is his turning off the wastegate CEL when boost spikes. I have turned mine back on, but hopefully he will either tell people he is doing it or stop doing it altogether.

For $400 I still think it's a bargain :D

The CEL is to stop the CEL only, the car still has the boost cut feature as listed above. Car jerks to let you know it occurred IF it hits boost cut but no limp mode or CEL.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Kekotic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:07 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:getting to your email now

The CEL is to stop the CEL only, the car still has the boost cut feature as listed above. Car jerks to let you know it occurred IF it hits boost cut but no limp mode or CEL.

Ah okay cheers Matt.

No rush on the email, I understand you might be busy with your new addition to the family. Car is still running fine.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Guys thanks for the support :)

Waiting for Matt to reply and explain what he wants to do next to make the car healthy. Sensors have been cleaned.

1. I feel that it is the tuner's responsibility to make sure the sensors are clean before he loads a tune into a car. I knew nothing of sensors or tuning 6 months back, I just paid the money and let Matt do his work. I trusted his expertise. To find out now, that I've been driving on an engine that can go POP! anytime, is not what I paid for.

2. My fuel economy is 17.0L/100km atm - on stock exhaust, stock turbo, stock engine. Driving in S mode. Before the last two revisions it was sitting on 12-13L. More fuel has been added but knock is still there. Anyway I'm told 17L is not very good.

I hope Matt will sort it out ASAP, it seems that this tune needs a good sit down and looking into. If he doesn't have time to fix it properly - I'm not risking damaging my car over and over to collect logs that show - yes there is indeed still a lot of knock in my engine. Matt knows his stuff, and I still trust he can fix it, but he has not delivered a healthy engine to me yet.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby <GB> » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 pm

17 is shit house bro, i got 450 out of a tank and the low light wasnt on yet and my car has massive mods
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Due to the remote tuning, there might be miscommunication so hopefully we're on the same page now.

But to take some of the blame off my noobnes - my first in person road tune resulted in 18-19L fuel economy driving in S#. So I'm quite sure not all the tune faults are due to me not cleaning sensors or not knowing something. And Matt you fixed that fuel economy on the second road tune :)

Lesson learned, I need to know what I'm doing to make sure I give Matt feedback on the tune. Lots of feedback :) so what's next Matt?
alexeiwoody

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Your tune was loaded and checked, ran fine and logged knock free. The MAF was within range as well and showed no potential issues.

Your factory tune had knock(as I showed you) and yes, FLKC is there as Subaru intended to account for bad batches of fuel. A factory as it rolled off the Showroom floor MY11+ WRX STi runs similar knock values(independantly shown on RomRaider plus have seen it for myself)

Dirty MAF's do not generate enough torque off boost. MSR even showed a bad MAF can cause issues with PCXT's 06 Forester last year, it threw out MAF values quite badly and a new MAF was fitted which rectified all issues. Unfortunately, the ECU has no way of determining if the MAF is bad/dirty, no CEL's are thrown.

Yes, even dyno tuned cars can detect FLKC but whether it is engine knock or 'noise' is a determining factor. I know of one Forester S Editon which was dyno tuned and was pulling 12 degrees across most of the map. It was the gear shifts inducing knock due to torque levels being so different at different rpm ranges etc

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=9162

Alexei: You have email :) Also about to send you a logcfg.txt file which allows you to log the tune. It means we can find out if there is a mechanical fault(ie AVCS solenoid filter basket is dirty and causing different cam timing values between cylinders) and check the injector pulsewidth to confirm fueling is right etc

alexeiwoody wrote:Guys thanks for the support :)

Waiting for Matt to reply and explain what he wants to do next to make the car healthy. Sensors have been cleaned.

1. I feel that it is the tuner's responsibility to make sure the sensors are clean before he loads a tune into a car. I knew nothing of sensors or tuning 6 months back, I just paid the money and let Matt do his work. I trusted his expertise. To find out now, that I've been driving on an engine that can go POP! anytime, is not what I paid for.

2. My fuel economy is 17.0L/100km atm - on stock exhaust, stock turbo, stock engine. Driving in S mode. Before the last two revisions it was sitting on 12-13L. More fuel has been added but knock is still there. Anyway I'm told 17L is not very good.

I hope Matt will sort it out ASAP, it seems that this tune needs a good sit down and looking into. If he doesn't have time to fix it properly - I'm not risking damaging my car over and over to collect logs that show - yes there is indeed still a lot of knock in my engine. Matt knows his stuff, and I still trust he can fix it, but he has not delivered a healthy engine to me yet.

KiDo_Tuning

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

<GB> wrote:17 is shit house bro, i got 450 out of a tank and the low light wasnt on yet and my car has massive mods

It is an auto ;) Optimising off boost torque on TC lockup point is the key. Quite a few are getting into the 6's and 7's tuned from auto LGT's.

I have customers getting 800+ with mods(big turbos keeping them stoich on cruise) and my own Forester is getting 5.6L/100Km's with a 60L tank, with AF learning delibrately at -19% and AF Compensation set at 0% in cruise range. Only way to get lean cruise activated(16:1 AFR's with timing at 40 degrees)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby <GB> » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

I have trouble beliving 800+ with big mods, big claim which cars are doing this?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Pm sent Matt.

Got the tune, but not log file.
alexeiwoody

Postby Aidos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Matt is it possible with afew hours on the dyno to get a stable tune without having to spend alot of time into fixing it?? I have mentioned to you in previous messages what kind of tune i am after.

My wagon is used for work so i can not afford it to be off the road...
MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B 5EAT
Wagon Obsidian Black
178kW @ Safe Tune (apparently)

Perrin TMIC | AVO 450 | 3" Magnaflow TBE (i think) | Empty CAT | 3" High Flow Exhaust Resonator | 2.5" Magnaflow Mufflers | APS Hi Flow Air Intake | DW300 Fuel Pump | Stronger Re-built Auto Transmission | Quick Shift Kit | Additional Clutch Plates | JJM Turboworld Tune (Last tune it had) | 20" Unknown Rims | STi Front Lip | STi Gear Knob | STi Lower Arm Bar | STi ECU | STi Braided Brake Lines | Full Lighting Upgraded | Tinted Rear Lights
Aidos

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby 3rspecb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 pm

<GB> wrote:I have trouble beliving 800+ with big mods, big claim which cars are doing this?

Its probably a hybrid camry.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 pm

<GB> wrote:I have trouble beliving 800+ with big mods, big claim which cars are doing this?

MY11 STI Autos(one has a Blouch Dom3)
MY11/12 STi's
Few MY08/09/10 STis(diggs30 off rexnet was getting under 6L per 100Km's with a 60L tank)
Few 05 LGT's averaging mid 6's
Even dr20t's car was getting decent fuel economy on E85
Even Mark's Veloci is getting decent fuel economy for an auto

Plenty more, some of them successful fuel economy on the first tune with a stock airbox not needing tweaks etc :)

Stock injectors

KiDo_Tuning

Postby jaydece » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:00 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:CEL's being disabled? Think you might want to go look again, the thread was never removed by admin.

I don't need to look again? ....I wasn't talking about this thread matt? though it has been mentioned here as well...

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/155846-dyno-day/page__st__330

I was referring to GORIUK's profile page aka Ben which was cleaned up after his incident when he did his end bearing at the springy dyno day....and you got hammered with kido hate because you had tuned his car..

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/155151-my08-wrx-ben-09/page__st__20

I happened to be there that day spectating...let's just say there were some disappointed and unhappy faces once they saw there results and AFR's....

This wasn't too long after you stated "Everyone claims Melbourne dynos read low... they dont, the cars just dont make power!!"...."I would say Melbourne Subaru tuning is strangled!"

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/153305-melbourne-wrx-tuner/page__st__20

Big Claims To B Making.....So who's strangled now.....
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:28 pm

Whilst the hornets nest is stirring, I'd like to put a little oil on the water:
alexeiwoody wrote:1. I feel that it is the tuner's responsibility to make sure the sensors are clean before he loads a tune into a car. I knew nothing of sensors or tuning 6 months back, I just paid the money and let Matt do his work. I trusted his expertise. To find out now, that I've been driving on an engine that can go POP! anytime, is not what I paid for.

I think the quoted statement reveals something of concern to tuners in general.
I do agree with aspects of it, and commiserate.

I was in a similar position, a n00b wanting a tune to alleviate some drivability issues with my stock Lib.
The difference was that I had my car serviced and the MAF cleaned, after discussing the drivability issues with Docklands STi, prior to getting the first tune.
They reckoned the car was OK, at least. (damnation with faint praise?)

So I was reasonably confident my car was in tip top shape and the tuner could do his thing unhindered by any mechanical issues.
Regardless of my relative n00bism to actually getting tuned, I considered that basic common sense...

Probably also because I had done plenty of general tune related research here and elsewhere over a period of years...

I'd like to propose a "pre-tune checklist for tune n00bs" in this forum, to assist those who know "nothing of sensors or tuning" but want to get tuned.
At least tuners could direct potential customers to that post, pre-tune. :D
Last edited by bigBADbenny on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning