MRT ECUtech Tune removal

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

MRT ECUtech Tune removal

Postby wil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:39 am

Hi guys,

Despite the popular opinion on this forum, I made the dire mistake of haveing an MRT ECUteck tune done on my TBSTI 08 Lib. I found the customer service of MRT, for lack of a better word ABSOLUTELY SHITHOUSE. After they had my deposit for the tune, I struggled to get any information out of them. Now again, this probably should have been a warning sign, But I made the mistake again of persuing them with the tune.
After I eventually got the tune done on the car, which I was under the impression they did a tune, then a dyno run for refinment on the car which in reality was a the software and a very quick and nasty on road tune up. Anyways, cut a long story short, I am very unhappy with the tune, its got a little more power, but is very raw and has very much taken away from the drivability of the car. In the lower end of the rev range it is very jerky and unrefined, an absolte bitch to drive in bumper to bumper.

I now want to have the tune removed and either restored back to factory or have AVO tune it on the dyno (unless advised otherwise, any advice much appreciated, in Melbourne too) and wrote to MRT asking how do I return the car to factory settings, and surprise surprise, no reply..... Once again, once they have their money, they dont want to know you.....

So if anyone could tell me if I just take it somewhere and have the tune overwritten, or do I have to have MRT return it back to factory before I do this???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
wil

Car: 08 TB STI Liberty

Re: MRT ECUtech Tune removal

Postby cruisn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:56 am

wil wrote:Hi guys,

Despite the popular opinion on this forum,

This is sarcasm yes?

The popular opinion on this forum is that MRT is indeed shithouse.
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am

cruisn wrote:
wil wrote:Hi guys,

Despite the popular opinion on this forum,

This is sarcasm yes?

The popular opinion on this forum is that MRT is indeed shithouse.

I think that is what his referring to, he is saying that despite the popular opinion being that they are shit, he took it to them anyway. Either that or the only opinion he has listened to is Buddah who, for some reason, thinks the sun shines out of MRT's ass despite the ton of negative reviews about them in recent years.

As for the OPs question, as it is EcuTek, you will unfortunately need to take it back to MRT or find someone that can remove it for you, which from what I've heard is not a simple or quick fix.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your bad experience, next time ask around on here for everyone's experiences then make an informed decision :)
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby wil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Hey guys,
Yes.... Now..... I do agree with you all or the majority of you guys that MRT is shit. I talked to one guy here who used one of their power up kits and said he had no dramas, so my choice to go with MRT was based on his experience.
Well.... Not happy at all with having to take my car back to them and give them more money to take their f@#ked tune off my car. Well, you live and learn I suppose, just one of those really unfortunate circumstances.
Wish I could say I dont have to deal with those f@#kwits again, but locked in now.
Thanks for the info. Definitly wont be passing on any reccomendation for these dudes in the future....
wil

Postby Rome_BRZ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:35 pm

wil wrote:Hey guys,
Yes.... Now..... I do agree with you all or the majority of you guys that MRT is shit. I talked to one guy here who used one of their power up kits and said he had no dramas, so my choice to go with MRT was based on his experience.
Well.... Not happy at all with having to take my car back to them and give them more money to take their f@#ked tune off my car. Well, you live and learn I suppose, just one of those really unfortunate circumstances.
Wish I could say I dont have to deal with those f@#kwits again, but locked in now.
Thanks for the info. Definitly wont be passing on any reccomendation for these dudes in the future....

From what I hear they used to be good, I had a cousin who had work done on his WRX there years ago. It seems they have just gone downhill at a fast rate of knots. Either that or all the problems, issues and all other crap relating them just took some time to come out of the woodworks. A few people I knew when I first got my Liberty were still telling me I should go to them due to their past reputation but lucky for me I spoke to two or three guys who had work done more recently at MRT and they told me not to go there.

My advice is cut your losses and get the MRT crap taken off your car, return it to stock tune and then go from there :)
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby senator » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Will

You’re pissing in the wind with MRT…. I wouldn’t bother with keeping the ECUTEK at all, not many NSW tuners can tune them safely.

I think S&J in SA are the only ones able to totally remove the ECUTEK rubbish, simply by sending them your ECU and then just getting a local tuner to open source tune it which doesn’t lock your ECU.

You located in Sydney???
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby wil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:50 pm

located in Melbourne, Anyone in Melbourne that can do this, I want to avoid using MRT doing anymore work on my car if I can, just dont want to deal with those c@#ts anymore.
wil

Postby zch91 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:41 pm

My advice.. Get a KiDo tune.

Good luck getting the MRT tune removed
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Chiptorque in the Goldcoast can return the ECU to stock IF a stock tune is supplied via email and you send them your ECU for 4 days(post monday, get it back by thursday) etc.

If your happy to wait until September, I also have the gear but I am booked in for tuning for the next 3 weeks.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby <GB> » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 am

my car had the same problem with the old owner...

good luck!
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Unfortunately once you get an ECUTek tune your ECU is locked and cannot be flashed back to stock unless you use another ECUTek agent to unlock it.

Not sure who is an ECUTek agent in Melbourne.

I'd be contacting Kido Racing, Matt and Bryce, and see if you can get it unlocked and retuned whilst he's down around the 23rd of August.

Else you could also scour wreckers or partout forum member listings for an unlocked ECU to return your car to the stock/base map.

If you have mods however, this may affect their operation.

Goodluck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby dr20t » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 pm

I successfully had the ecutek software removed off my ecu

The process requires a set of codes dubbed "the handshake agreement" to undo the software locking

By law, mrt are required to remove the tune / software at your request.

If they fail to come back to you in the next couple of days, contact the department of fair trading

Their conduct in your particular instance may ostensibly be viewed as misleading and deceptive conduct, or at the very least a breach of express warranties.

I bet they will sure as hell will jump to rectify your issue once they find out you've taken it a step further

Good luck mate

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 am

dr20t wrote:I successfully had the ecutek software removed off my ecu

The process requires a set of codes dubbed "the handshake agreement" to undo the software locking

By law, mrt are required to remove the tune / software at your request.

If they fail to come back to you in the next couple of days, contact the department of fair trading

Their conduct in your particular instance may ostensibly be viewed as misleading and deceptive conduct, or at the very least a breach of express warranties.

I bet they will sure as hell will jump to rectify your issue once they find out you've taken it a step further

Good luck mate

Mick

I think the issue is, Mick, that he doesn't want to take it back there even to remove the ECU. So that might be a fall back method if he can't remove it any other way
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:38 pm

bass_straitener wrote:Unfortunately once you get an ECUTek tune your ECU is locked and cannot be flashed back to stock unless you use another ECUTek agent to unlock it.
Not sure who is an ECUTek agent in Melbourne.
I'd be contacting Kido Racing, Matt and Bryce, and see if you can get it unlocked and retuned whilst he's down around the 23rd of August.
Else you could also scour wreckers or partout forum member listings for an unlocked ECU to return your car to the stock/base map.
If you have mods however, this may affect their operation.
Goodluck.

Unfortunately, I will not have my test bench with me to unlock the ECU as both Qantas and Virgin have broken the equipment in checked-in luggage previously. I leave it in the workshop.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Gambit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Had mine done right here:
http://www.chiptorque.com.au/ecu_unlock.html
Order form is on the website, fill that in and send it in for $220 its done.
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Next

Return to Tuning