Liberty GT 2007 Auto DBW tuning.

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Liberty GT 2007 Auto DBW tuning.

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Tue May 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Has anyone successfully tuned the DBW tables for a AUTOMATIC Liberty GT. Currently tuning with xtreme race tuning and we are having a bugger of a time getting a smooth transition through the 2000-3000rpm range. Around 2500rpm the car surges and bounces +/- 200 rpms. Very annoying and not very driveable. We flashed just those DBW tables back to stock and it all goes smooth again. Seems that the DBW disagrees with the transmission control unit.

Any ideas would be appreciated. A reference to a working set of responsive (ie. not stock) automatic DBW maps would be even better. :)

Cheers
Started with a Gen2 Outback, then got a MY07 GT Spec.B Manual w Cat Back Exhaust and Verso Tuned, now got 2 kids and a MY07 GT Auto Wagon, Ultrex stealth back exhaust, panel filter, Whiteline Sways all round, Spec.b struts and springs and Kido-Tuned.
Sheik Jabooti

Car: MY07 GT Wagon

Re: Liberty GT 2007 Auto DBW tuning.

Postby B4ITZUP » Tue May 29, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm keeping my eye on this thread

I'm going to get mine tune in a couple of months, hopefully there's some hint on here to help with DBW

at the moment, taking off, that slight wait seem like forever
B4ITZUP

Car: MY07 GTB

Postby <GB> » Tue May 29, 2012 10:13 pm

My car had a few issues with dbw not sure if it was the tuner... Or the car, mines manual...

When it surges is it when cursing at light throttle and 2000-3000rpm? Cause that's what my car does
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 pm

<GB> wrote:My car had a few issues with dbw not sure if it was the tuner... Or the car, mines manual...

When it surges is it when cursing at light throttle and 2000-3000rpm? Cause that's what my car does

Yep, that's exactly it. Generally when going off from lights but also noticed at cruise. Most noticeable when going up a hill or under light load. Always in that same 2500rpm range.

Who did your tune by the way?
Started with a Gen2 Outback, then got a MY07 GT Spec.B Manual w Cat Back Exhaust and Verso Tuned, now got 2 kids and a MY07 GT Auto Wagon, Ultrex stealth back exhaust, panel filter, Whiteline Sways all round, Spec.b struts and springs and Kido-Tuned.
Sheik Jabooti

Postby <GB> » Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Sheik Jabooti wrote:
<GB> wrote:My car had a few issues with dbw not sure if it was the tuner... Or the car, mines manual...

Yep, that's exactly it. Generally when going off from lights but also noticed at cruise. Most noticeable when going up a hill or under light load. Always in that same 2500rpm range.

Who did your tune by the way?

also when the car goes from open to close loop that causes issues too.

my car was tuned by some guys in melbourne and im going to another place as a few things have happened with another liberty that went their.... and my car leaned out on the liberty dyno day...
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby west_minist » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:54 pm

I dont have issues with highly tuned cars. I think its because of the extra torque that keeps the tranny happy that it either locks the TC or it is unlock. The +-200 reference the locking. I don't see any fueling issues.

Please do this for me. Try hard to attain what I want. Anyone who has the issue can send me a log. Just log the car in that area. Log throttle, accelerator, afr sensor #1, rpm, etc. Log and create the variation.

Sheik, I sent you an email. I have some time on my hands in terms of tuning. Drags here in Barbados is finish, so I don't the stress any more, except I.T. related.
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby PoidaGT » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:29 pm

I had the exact same problem with my GT after it was tuned.

It is more noticable in 3rd at low speeds when you floor it. Not so noticable in 2nd or 1st gear.

It is really annoying :(
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Car: Porsche 911 Turbo / VW Passat R type
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19762

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

PoidaGT wrote:I had the exact same problem with my GT after it was tuned.

It is more noticable in 3rd at low speeds when you floor it. Not so noticable in 2nd or 1st gear.

It is really annoying :(

I think a lot of tuners slap on the DBW maps that work for the manuals but don't do any real world testing off the dyno. If they did, they soon find out the auto's don't like those maps. :roll:

If Edward from Xtreme Race Tuning is able to get my auto right, you might want to contact him to sort out your DBW setup.

Cheers
Sheik Jabooti

Postby PoidaGT » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm getting my 100K service done next week by my tuner so i'll get him to retune it then.
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby PoidaGT » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Hey Guys

I had my tuner (MSR) check out my GTB today with this 2-3000rpm issue and he was really surprised.

We easily managed to replicate it but what suprised him was what actually was causing the problem.

He can see that when you floor it at low revs, the throttle actually advances initially and then retards, then advances again.

He hadn't noticed it before.

Unfortunately he says that it is a set design fault with the Subaru ECU and he can't tune it out.

I only notice it in 3rd gear so i'll have to make sure i change back to 2nd in future.
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby jslayz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:21 pm

hey, humor me and pop some octane booster in and post your findings.....subarus can be tuned with a lot of offboost timing advancement to get max torque and hence could be producing a ping then it retards and then it tries to advance and pings again.

Just a theory.

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:41 pm

PoidaGT wrote:Hey Guys

I had my tuner (MSR) check out my GTB today with this 2-3000rpm issue and he was really surprised.

We easily managed to replicate it but what suprised him was what actually was causing the problem.

He can see that when you floor it at low revs, the throttle actually advances initially and then retards, then advances again.

Unfortunately he says that it is a set design fault with the Subaru ECU and he can't tune it out.

I only notice it in 3rd gear so i'll have to make sure i change back to 2nd in future.

Easily tuned out actually, the 5EAT ECU has a full throttle protection feature in the throttle tables similar to the MY11 STi 5EAT auto(AZ1G500J ROM). Change the throttle tables to something sensible and the power delivery is smooth as silk, proven it on numerous Forester S Editions :)

Plenty of my customers know I can get the 5EAT shifting like a DSG box :) Smooth power delivery and never any hesitations(other than the TC light giving you a sunburn!)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby yipming » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:18 pm

jslayz wrote:hey, humor me and pop some octane booster in and post your findings.....subarus can be tuned with a lot of offboost timing advancement to get max torque and hence could be producing a ping then it retards and then it tries to advance and pings again.

Just a theory.

J

Kinda hoping not. And shouldn't be seeing how Michael South has been tuning Subaru for 15 years... pinging should be picked up fairly easily from the probes while on the dyno.
My Subaru is tuned there.

BUT, when I floor it from say 3rd gear, my rev jumps pretty much straight away to 3k stall point, so I haven't really experienced this surge around 2.5k.
Will try and see if I get that the next time when I go for a drive.
Which mode was being used? I, S or S# seeing how the gearbox seems to behave differently with each mode.

Oh, and I have a transmission cooler so perhaps that's why I am not feeling it .....
yipming

Car: Subaru Liberty GTB

Postby jslayz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:52 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
PoidaGT wrote:Hey Guys

Easily tuned out actually, the 5EAT ECU has a full throttle protection feature in the throttle tables similar to the MY11 STi 5EAT auto(AZ1G500J ROM). Change the throttle tables to something sensible and the power delivery is smooth as silk, proven it on numerous Forester S Editions :)

Plenty of my customers know I can get the 5EAT shifting like a DSG box :) Smooth power delivery and never any hesitations(other than the TC light giving you a sunburn!)

Like a DSG, so no shift delay, I'm in.........unless you are exaggerating ...
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:41 am

My DBW is NOTHING like stock and for good reason. I fix too many tunes with slapped together DBW settings, the auto needs strong RT figures to get lockup :) I have plenty of logs to back it up as well :)

Comments from a TD04 equipped Forester SH9 XT but cannot post logs as *.csv format is not allowed. My S Edition, STi auto and Liberty tunes are even better :)

it's quick Matt, it's quick! LOL see attached logs.

Did a 1500rpm launch for 0-100 in just 5.8 secs! :-)

Car feels great again now and obviously will get better after bit more driving...super happy mate. So happy i got the auto now :-)

So far, I have gathered the following 0-100 times at each stage of tune:

Stock car + tune = 6.5 @ 2000rpm launch
Dump + tune = 6 flat @ 1800rpm launch
Stealth TBE + Tune = 5.8 @ 1500rpm launch

Regards,
Dan

Another client in Brazil running 12psi due to 87RON fuel
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning