Logging results - iam down and boost won't nudge above 15?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: Logging results - iam down and boost won't nudge above 1

Postby dr20t » Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 am

Had a bit of a light lb moment on way to work this morning and wondering if someone could confirm

My initial learning view showed correction of -4.96 as above in the 5-10 g/s range

I think this is due to the motor being tuned for higher boost at that level. Thus, because I'm not able to boost over 14.5 (which seems more wg or ebc related now that I think of it), the motor is expecting more boost but when it doesn't see it is pulling fuel out and thus timing has been pulled and thats why Iam is down too

Hopefully once I fix boost issue all should be ok

Thoughts?

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby <GB> » Mon May 14, 2012 11:11 am

dr20t wrote:Had a bit of a light lb moment on way to work this morning and wondering if someone could confirm

My initial learning view showed correction of -4.96 as above in the 5-10 g/s range

I think this is due to the motor being tuned for higher boost at that level. Thus, because I'm not able to boost over 14.5 (which seems more wg or ebc related now that I think of it), the motor is expecting more boost but when it doesn't see it is pulling fuel out and thus timing has been pulled and thats why Iam is down too

Hopefully once I fix boost issue all should be ok

Thoughts?

Mick

thats kinda what i was referring too in my post.. id be getting the boost issues looked at and see how it goes after that :)
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Logging results - iam down and boost won't nudge above 15?

Postby zorro » Mon May 14, 2012 3:02 pm

What MAP sensor do these things run?
zorro

Car: Z-Series Senator

Postby dr20t » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Zorro don't know about type but they run a map and maf. Not like conventional afm though

Anyway update time

Boost issue is fixed. Turned out to be settings on ebc which must have been played with after the tune (not by me) :angry2:

Good news is I'm now seeing 19psi. Bad news is iam is still down so gonna fix this tomorrow.

Ive now realized (from the sound of the wastegate opening) that car hasn't run like this since a few days after the tune

Power is massive compared to before. And it's obvious given it has been running 14.5psi off the spring since shortly after the tune.

Going back to Wsid tomorrow to see what she cracks with proper boost

Thanks for allthe suggestions amd assistance guys
Mick

dr20t

Postby <GB> » Tue May 15, 2012 10:49 pm

dr20t wrote:Zorro don't know about type but they run a map and maf. Not like conventional afm though

Anyway update time

Boost issue is fixed. Turned out to be settings on ebc which must have been played with after the tune (not by me) :angry2:

Good news is I'm now seeing 19psi. Bad news is iam is still down so gonna fix this tomorrow.

Ive now realized (from the sound of the wastegate opening) that car hasn't run like this since a few days after the tune

Power is massive compared to before. And it's obvious given it has been running 14.5psi off the spring since shortly after the tune.

Going back to Wsid tomorrow to see what she cracks with proper boost

Thanks for allthe suggestions amd assistance guys
Mick

Did u clear the ecu so it can re learn itself?
<GB>

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Damnit Mick I am at a concert tomorrow otherwise would have loved to tag along!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby dr20t » Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Reset the ecu but iam is still down to 0.5 even after driving for a bit so hopefully after a couple more hundred kms it comes back up to 1.0.

Otherwise will be manually changing it using ecu flash

Rome I've actually thought about it and gonna go next Wednesday as I wanna fix the iam and alight oil look from my turbo feed line before I go.

Will update post once I know what happens with iam

Cheers
Mick

dr20t

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue May 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Awesome well if it's next Wednesday I'm in. What time would you normally go?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby dr20t » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Try get there by six usually maybe bit later

dr20t

Postby bass_straitener » Tue May 15, 2012 11:34 pm

G'day Mick,

Got to ask the question? What was the reason for the last tune? Something changed?

Also do you have a copy of your last map?

From my understanding of tuning everything you do to increase power is eventually limited by cylinder pressure.

If your tuner has decreased boost could he not have increased timing? If so then increasing boost whilst maintaining the current timing could prove dangerous. I'm a little concerned

Could you check your previous map to the current one using the Romraider tool to compare 2 maps to see what else is changed.

Also any chance of a Learning View snapshot for a check.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby dr20t » Thu May 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Bruce

My last tune was due to turbo injector and fmic upgrade

To clarify - the tune is perfect

The only reason my iam has come down is due to the above

That is, my wastegate boost nipples had come loose so my ebc was doing nothing

Therefore when my car was tuned for 19psi, and them the wastegate was opening at 14.5, the ecu pulled fuel because the maf was not seeing the boost it was tuned for. So because of this, there must har been a lean out at some stage and thus ecu pulled timing via feedback knock, then some more via flkc and then iam as a final safety measure.

Thus all the issues seem to have been caused by the wg feeds coming loose and therefore ebc not having an effect.

Its my fault because my ebc is in my cubby and I always have this closed so don't monitor boost.

It was very obvious once I fixed the boost issue because te ebc stepper motor is very noticeable on am external gate (you can hear it quite clearly cutting in and out to regulate boost). It then clicked to me that I haven't heard this happen since a few days after my tune in January!!

So seems ive been running 14.5psi since then. So I'm sure you can appreciate my elation at finding "new power" again now that I'm boosting to 19psi again

Only thing still left to sort is iam which hopefully should return to 1.0 once the ecu learns that all is ok and therefore bumps back up

If this hasn't happened by next Tuesday I'll be manually adjusting it using ecuflash

Mick

dr20t

Postby <GB> » Fri May 18, 2012 10:54 am

thats good, its funny how somthing so small can upset the ecu so much and you can see it in the data
<GB>

Postby bass_straitener » Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 am

Sounds like your onto it Mick.

It is a bugger when a little hose popping off can really stuff up things. That's the first thing to check it would seem if you don't think you're car's running as it should.

Especially if you're running anything more than stock boost.

I know I've suffered the same scenario and then gone on a clips and clamps upgrade to ensure things stay on like they should.

I'd be looking at setting the IAM initial to 1.0, if not already setup that way, then reloading the map and this should get your IAM at 1.0 from the start instead of the Subaru standard of 0.5 and getting the ECU to raise it to on KCA.

All very interesting stuff.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby Rome_BRZ » Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

dr20t wrote:Hi Bruce

My last tune was due to turbo injector and fmic upgrade

To clarify - the tune is perfect

The only reason my iam has come down is due to the above

That is, my wastegate boost nipples had come loose so my ebc was doing nothing

Therefore when my car was tuned for 19psi, and them the wastegate was opening at 14.5, the ecu pulled fuel because the maf was not seeing the boost it was tuned for. So because of this, there must har been a lean out at some stage and thus ecu pulled timing via feedback knock, then some more via flkc and then iam as a final safety measure.

Thus all the issues seem to have been caused by the wg feeds coming loose and therefore ebc not having an effect.

Its my fault because my ebc is in my cubby and I always have this closed so don't monitor boost.

It was very obvious once I fixed the boost issue because te ebc stepper motor is very noticeable on am external gate (you can hear it quite clearly cutting in and out to regulate boost). It then clicked to me that I haven't heard this happen since a few days after my tune in January!!

So seems ive been running 14.5psi since then. So I'm sure you can appreciate my elation at finding "new power" again now that I'm boosting to 19psi again

Only thing still left to sort is iam which hopefully should return to 1.0 once the ecu learns that all is ok and therefore bumps back up

If this hasn't happened by next Tuesday I'll be manually adjusting it using ecuflash

Mick

Then onto the drags! Will be good to see what your car can manage down the quarter mile now that it seems to be running as it should. I'm also interested to see what my car will do now and after all my work is done :D
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby dr20t » Fri May 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Yep thanks guys

The vacuum hose to wastegate is held on by a thread and bolt which had worked it's way loose somehow from vibration

The lack of boost control prompted me to check all these

Iam initial was definitely set to 1.0 in the ecu hard ram, but as said above has pulled back

When you reset the ecu it also defaults to 0.5 until it learns it's way around it and reverts to 1.0

If this hasn't happened by early next week I'll manually change it

Mick

dr20t

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning