tune gt07specb

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

tune gt07specb

Postby crowds74 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 am

Has anyone just replaced dump pipe and left standard exhaust on and done a tune? just wondering as i spoke to 2 tuners and both has said different things. 1 said i wont gain anything out of just doing dump pipe and the second said i will. has anyone does this?
Cheers Tom
crowds74

Car: MY 07 GT SPEC B

Re: tune gt07specb

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 am

crowds74 wrote:Has anyone just replaced dump pipe and left standard exhaust on and done a tune? just wondering as i spoke to 2 tuners and both has said different things. 1 said i wont gain anything out of just doing dump pipe and the second said i will. has anyone does this?

On my first tune I only replaced the dump pipe and left the rest of the exhaust standard. At this time I also installed the 3 port boost solenoid, fuel pump, Perrin silicon intake and an Apexi panel filter. My tune produced a change from 153kws to 178kws. The tune saw a raising of the boost slightly. I am running as stock the STI quad tip mufflers.

All the info including charts are in my build thread.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby iisshhyy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:10 am

Have a quick search around and you will find the answers you need. Yes a dump only will give you some benefit & it can be done with a tune. However, to take full advantage of what a tune can do, you will need to upgrade the rest of the exhaust system as the stock system is a big restriction. Seeing comments from your other topic, I can see you're wanting to keep noise levels down. You can run an aftermarket system which will have better flow & keep noise down with TCP / STI quads. Just depends on what's tolerable in terms of noise levels.
iisshhyy

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am

I will also add that when I changed to the AVO 3 inch mid section and 2.5 inch Y section even with the STI quads the exhaust became significantly louder when compared the original mid section. Though nothing in comparison to the Xforce or other brands.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby PoidaGT » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 pm

by crowds74 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 am

Has anyone just replaced dump pipe and left standard exhaust on and done a tune? just wondering as i spoke to 2 tuners and both has said different things. 1 said i wont gain anything out of just doing dump pipe and the second said i will. has anyone does this?Cheers Tom

Hi Tom

I'm currently running just a Stainless 3 inch dump pipe with a standard OEM cat back system with a Dyno Tune (+ AVO top mounted intercooler and Panel Filter).
The filter is under $100 and doesn't affect the tune or power output. The Tune made a massive difference together with the dump pipe with a big jump in torque and power in the lower rev ranges. The car just drives so much better.

I recommend getting the dump pipe, 3 inch centre and Y pipe with a resonator built in and keep the standard mufflers fitted. Then go for the dyno tune.
This will keep your GT quiet with a slightly sportier note without being obnoxious and virtually no power loss compared to the full muffler systems.
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Car: Porsche 911 Turbo / VW Passat R type
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19762

Postby PinkK » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:00 pm

PoidaGT wrote:by crowds74 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 am

Has anyone just replaced dump pipe and left standard exhaust on and done a tune? just wondering as i spoke to 2 tuners and both has said different things. 1 said i wont gain anything out of just doing dump pipe and the second said i will. has anyone does this?Cheers Tom

Hi Tom

I'm currently running just a Stainless 3 inch dump pipe with a standard OEM cat back system with a Dyno Tune (+ AVO top mounted intercooler and Panel Filter).
The filter is under $100 and doesn't affect the tune or power output. The Tune made a massive difference together with the dump pipe with a big jump in torque and power in the lower rev ranges. The car just drives so much better.

I recommend getting the dump pipe, 3 inch centre and Y pipe with a resonator built in and keep the standard mufflers fitted. Then go for the dyno tune.
This will keep your GT quiet with a slightly sportier note without being obnoxious and virtually no power loss compared to the full muffler systems.

Peter, with that exhaust set-up, do you have the drone that everyone keeps talking about with the wagons?
PinkK
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec. B Wagon

Postby PoidaGT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Hey Alex
When i had the full 3 inch stainless Turbo back system on, i had MEGA drone from the exhaust and it was just rediculously loud. (i couldn't live with it)
All of the drone comes from the aftermarket mufflers so its best to upgrade the rest of the exhaust system and keep the standard mufflers.
I recommend picking up an exhaust system which mates up to the standard mufflers (most of them do, mine didn't).
The mufflers can also be the most expensive part of the exhaust.
Apparently you don't get many gains from upgrading the mufflers until you head north of 200wkw.
MSR engineering recommends X force and they can get Mild or Stainless steel Turbo or Cat systems without mufflers which makes them cheaper.
Keep us updated with your Mods.
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:40 am

Also of note Alex, the auto wagons seem to suffer from drone a lot more than manual.

Can't remember if your's was auto or manual.
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby GTB Liberty » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:09 am

You can check my build thread for power differences but I have changed the dump pipe. OEM system from there. Operated without a tune but tuned made huge differences in power / torque and drivability. Quiet.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Manual SEDAN | TEAM White | Verso tuned @ ASG 240 Hp & 372 Nm hub dyno| STi | BBK M turbo | GriMspeed | Brembo | Valentine V1 | ECUdatascan | PROVA | HKS | Zero Sports | Phat Performance Parts | ACME | Whiteline | Enkei | Dixcel | Cusco
" . . . and on the 8th day God made Subaru . . . on the 9th supposedly the V8 . . . and on the 10th turbo lag so the V8s would think they had a chance "
GTB Liberty

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=5714

Postby PinkK » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks guys :) Yes I will be starting a build thread shortly, looking forward to working on it. Currently working out what I want the end result to be and in how many stages, I am thinking 250kw atw should do for a daily but that would be an end power figure. Have you done a power run since the tune Peter? I have just brought a new top mount myself and will get a better panel filter this/next weekend and was looking at upgrading the intake pipes but I want to find out what the size difference in some of them are and then save up and find myself a tuner (sorry for the hijack Tom).
PinkK
-stickered-

Postby PoidaGT » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Wow Alex, 250wkw is a decent target.
You will need to rebuild your engine with forged pistons and stronger conrods.
Also will need ported heads and bigger cams, turbo etc.
About 230wkw is the limit before the engine needs opening.
Good luck
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby PinkK » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:33 am

Yes I will be looking at getting forged intetnals for longevity and a bigger turbo but I'm not sure if I will need a cam, from the sounds of things a few people here have gotten that figure with out a cam but 250kw is an end figure. I have to get to 200 first ;)
PinkK
-stickered-

Postby PoidaGT » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey Alex
If you have the engine out, you might as well do the heads and cams.
The biggest difference between a WRX and liberty GT engine is the cams.
The WRX boys can always get better dyno results as they have more aggressive cams installed.
Also if you get higher flow heads (like an STI WRX) you get a wider spread of torque across the rev range.
It comes down to budget but pulling the engine apart isnt cheap anyway
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby PinkK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Something to think about for sure thanks :) (not sure my partner will thank you though ha ha) but yes I see where your coming from.
PinkK
-stickered-

Postby PoidaGT » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Hey Alex
I would try and do all the Mods up to about 230wkw before cracking open the engine.
Exhaust, Turbo, Intercooler, Intake and tune etc should get you pretty close ($5 - $6k).
Personally i would only rebuild my engine if you blew mine up or spun a bearing etc.
You're looking at least $10k - $15K to rebuild you're engine properly, so you don't get good bang for your buck chasing 250kw.
I'm sure you would be pretty happy with 230wkw as a daily driver.
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Return to Tuning