Open source tuners in melbourne

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Open source tuners in melbourne

Postby SH30RB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Im moving down to melbourne in a few weeks time, and thats when im really going to get the modding process going.

what im looking for is a reputable open source tuner, hopefully that someone has been to and can recommend.

cheers
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Re: Open source tuners in melbourne

Postby west_minist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:36 am

If you have a cable or purchase one, I can remotely tune you.

Its a process where you will log the car, send me the logs, I will send an update to you and and the process starts over again. Many customers find this very rewarding and fun. Estimate time of completion of the tune is based on fuel quality and customer time. But usual a couple of days.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby 3rspecb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:26 am

Revzone & springy motors get good mention on here and on the vic wrx cub website. They also don't lock/hide their map.

HPF do something to the map so no one else can play with it, also a few of us have not been happy with thier tunning.

Best bet would be to search "post your mods" and read people wrtie ups who have had their cars tuned.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby Kekotic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am

Mark (MH3.0R) seems pretty happy with the tunes HPF did on his 3.0
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby subyroo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:48 pm

SH30RB wrote:Im moving down to melbourne in a few weeks time, and thats when im really going to get the modding process going.

what im looking for is a reputable open source tuner, hopefully that someone has been to and can recommend.

cheers

Have a read through this thread, it's very interesting and west_minist certainly appears to know his job.
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby bass_straitener » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:12 pm

I don't believe west_minst is an open source tuner in that his tunes are locked. This was one of the OP prerequisites. Happy to be corrected.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby HyRax » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 am

bass_straitener wrote:I don't believe west_minst is an open source tuner in that his tunes are locked. This was one of the OP prerequisites. Happy to be corrected.

Only the signature is changed, making the ROM appear locked. Make a profile for XRT or change the signature in the ROM back to a Subaru one and it will open up into ROMRaider easily.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby west_minist » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:58 pm

HyRax wrote:
bass_straitener wrote:I don't believe west_minst is an open source tuner in that his tunes are locked. This was one of the OP prerequisites. Happy to be corrected.

Only the signature is changed, making the ROM appear locked. Make a profile for XRT or change the signature in the ROM back to a Subaru one and it will open up into ROMRaider easily.

I do not lock the ECU like ECUTek. If I had the ability, I wouldn't either. When I had the option to become a sub EcuTek dealer, I didn't and did not like that feature.
west_minist

Postby SH30RB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:24 pm

3rspecb wrote:Revzone & springy motors get good mention on here and on the vic wrx cub website. They also don't lock/hide their map.

HPF do something to the map so no one else can play with it, also a few of us have not been happy with thier tunning.

Best bet would be to search "post your mods" and read people wrtie ups who have had their cars tuned.

thanks G, this was the responce i was hoping for 8)

thanks bruce, i have seen what west_minst does, and i dont doubt its a good job, but its just something, i dont know what that tells me to take it to get tuned on a dyno rather than over the interweb via a laptop...
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby HyRax » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:31 pm

bass_straitener wrote:i dont know what that tells me to take it to get tuned on a dyno rather than over the interweb via a laptop...

Tuning by the interwebs requires you to find yourself a straight, flat road that you can repeatedly perform third gear runs from 1,500rpm right up to the redline when logging data. This means finding a road that is clean, free of potholes and dips and where possible, be away from populated areas. You WILL be hitting speeds in excess of 130kph (far more with turbo models) so you must have appropriate distance to stop as well.

Trying to be as objective as possible, here's how I see the pros and cons:

Pros of road dyno
  1. Good, clean supply of natural air going into the all of your car's intakes, unlike a little industrial fan feeding air into most of those intakes that you generally see with a dyno shop.
  2. Natural atmospheric and temperature conditions that can never be perfectly reproduced indoors in a dyno shop.
  3. Much cheaper to tune with since you are not renting out the use of a dynomometer.
  4. You can also log and tune on your own time (eg: after work). With a dyno shop, you are generally locked into an appointment on a specific day (or two) and if you run out of time, you'll have to organise a new appointment on another day.
  5. Highly interactive. You can review the detail in your logs at any time and see how they compare to previous logs very easily. Generally a dyno shop will only show you the final result after each tweak (although it's granted that's all most people are actually interested in anyway!).
  6. Even though you'd have to get new baselines if you move location, you can have one tuner dealing with your car no matter where you are in the world. A dyno shop scenario means either taking your car back to your original tuner each time or going to the effort of finding a new dyno shop in your new location that meets your needs.

Cons of road dyno
  1. Requires finding a flat, and straight open public back road that you can repeatedly drive up and down for each tune (you will be generally taking six logs for every session to get a good average - three up the road and three down), and you must use this road and only this road for accurate comparison of subsequent tweaks to your tune for proper comparison to previous results (you can obviously re-do your baselines on another road before commencing new tuning).
  2. Is potentially dangerous. We've all driven fast, but in this case you will be hitting very high track-like speeds on a public road. You certainly cannot do this in populated areas and you risk attracting the attention of authorities if you are not careful. Your laptop in the passenger seat may also become a missile in the event of a crash. Finding a quiet country road would be ideal, but may be too far to drive out for some, negating the potential turnaround-time benefits.
  3. A dyno shop can make many small tweaks in a short space of time because they're sitting in your car the whole time. With a road dyno, you will be to'ing and fro'ing with gathering log data, sending it to your tuner via email, receiving a new ROM via email, flashing it to the car, and then go out and re-log again. Lather, rinse, repeat. That said, total time to tune appears to be no different between the two methods (ie: days/weeks to finish).
  4. Final dyno sheet results will probably not be as accurate as a dynomometer, but that's OK - that's what the average difference between the baseline and your final tune will show.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby west_minist » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:39 am

You do not need a straight road. Only need why Dyno'es are needed and customers wanting them. Any road will do otherwise.

Software road Dynoes is consistently a little lower than real dynoes. The most accurate dyno would be a GPS one.

Software dynoes will always vary a bit due to many factors that are not constant like in a shop. Example wind resistances, humidity, temperature, roll resistances, road contour, etc

The time its take to tune is really dependent on the customer and what their needs are. I can release a tune that may take just 2 flashes :) But it would not be responsive on the engine because its a global map and change. Each engine always have their little own characteristics.
west_minist

Return to Tuning