Springy Motors - Tune done

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Springy Motors - Tune done

Postby brainy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:20 pm

So i went and saw Danny @ Springy motors and got him to do a complete re-tune.

Well, I have to say I'm quite impressed with Danny.

When i went to pick the car up, he wanted me to ring him in a few days and let me know what i thought of the tune. He told me not to hesitate in getting him in touch with him as he assured me he is quite approachable and happy to change things that I don't like.

He went through the Dyno graph with me and told me all the stuff he changed, but it went a little over my head (I really should research tuning stuff).

I'm also running less boost at 15psi instead of 16psi. In the end that scored me a 173.4 on the springy dyno, so i'm quite happy with the result.

Anyway, it's been a week now since the tune and so far i'm quite impressed with it! I still need to give it some more testing on S#, but so far i'm impressed. Cold starts are fine, economy is fine and in all honesty, i think the power delivery is a bit more consistent.

It's no wonder the guys on the wrx forums talk highly of him, i'm more than happy to recommend his work.

Brian
Last edited by brainy on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Re: Springy Motors - Tune done

Postby Kekotic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Did you get some new parts for the car Brian or did you just get a re-tune and nothing else?
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:17 pm

G'day Brian, I noticed you previously had your car tuned by HPF and now by Springy motors. Any reason for the change? Care to compare differences in their work and service. I am currently researching the dump pipe mod and tune so an opinion would be really helpful.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby brainy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:12 am

There was a couple of niggling issues i was having with the tune from hp-f but to be honest, nothing that bad. When the power came on, there felt like there was a little hesitation through the range. Also, if rolling in second gear and i apply the accelerator lightly it would jerk/hesitate as well.
I know others had discussed issues they were experiencing but after the dyno day at springy and seeing the scoreboard, i thought i'd have a chat to them there and also dig around to see what others were saying.

I probably could have gone back to hp-f to see if they could sort out the things i was experiencing, but i thought i'd give Danny a go.

As for your other questions,
1. service - Both have pretty good service. Danny probably spent more time explaining things to me afterwards. Tbh, all of my initial contact with hp-f was through email which was very convenient for me.
2. Both tune things differently. hp-f have their way of doing things and Danny at Springy has his way. I can't say which is right or wrong.
3. Advice - I think Danny was more helpful on advice as to where i go from here to get to the figure i want to reach. He pointed out what i need to upgrade and also the fact that i should look at changing part of my exhaust to help.
4. Price - They are both similar priced i believe but Springy may be just slightly dearer, but not worth crying about.

I also forgot to mention that i'm now running less boost than what hp-f set me up on (16 vs 15psi). I'll add it to my first post.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, let me know.
Thanks,

Brian
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Postby brainy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 am

chaotic2050 wrote:Did you get some new parts for the car Brian or did you just get a re-tune and nothing else?

Added a perrin turbo inlet pipe which helped me decide.

Brian
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Postby eckymosis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:22 am

brainy wrote:There was a couple of niggling issues i was having with the tune from hp-f but to be honest, nothing that bad. When the power came on, there felt like there was a little hesitation through the range. Also, if rolling in second gear and i apply the accelerator lightly it would jerk/hesitate as well.
I know others had discussed issues they were experiencing but after the dyno day at springy and seeing the scoreboard, i thought i'd have a chat to them there and also dig around to see what others were saying.

So it's not just my car that's experiencing those symptoms after a HP-F tune. I get the exact issues after their tune. Like you mentioned, it's not bad. The thing that does get me at times is the jerking in second gear while lightly accelerating.

I might have to take my car to Springy Motors next time. It will give me an excuse to get some futher mods now to justify it :P
eckymosis

Car: MY05 GT

Postby ndlibgt » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Brian
Thanks for your feedback. I must admit I was having a hard time working out who I was going to take my car to, this will go a long way toward me making my decision. Good to hear your happy with your new tune, hopefully see ya round.
Nelson
ndlibgt

Car: 04 GT

Postby XT_for_me » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 pm

I had my Forester tuned by Danny 3 years ago. It was the first SH he had seen and it took a little time to sort out the little differences from earlier models. Danny was very patient, and clearly knew his Subbies backwards. With only a TBE fitted he was able to extract 150kw from the TD04 turbo and it was a great drive. This is why I was more than happy to suggest going there for the Dyno Day.
Stopping is not optional!

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits, Coilover Suspension, Tunes, Turbo rebuilds, and Kamak Turbos
Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Car: Subaru Forester MY09 XT

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks Brian for a great thread. Certainly made my job easier deciding on a tuner. Now to decide on dump pipe brand and panel filter and any other bits before making an appointment with Danny.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby brainy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Phat DP is hard to pass up. Quality right there!

Failing that, i know a guy who can do a complete system custom made at insanely reasonable pricing. ;)
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Postby MY02B4 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi guys. Just bought a MY07 GTB and being in Melbourne there are quite a few choices around. I had my old B4 tuned by HPF with Ecutek as they were the only ones tuning B4s back then and although it was ok, it could have been better. I (and the boss) have banned myself from spending any more money in the immediate future as I already went over budget to buy the car but nothing is stopping me from planning ahead! Can someone give me an idea of how much Springy Motors charges for a tune?
MY02B4

Postby brainy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Grats on the car! Tuning cost $770 from Springy.

I think HP-F was $695 and for RevZone pricing, ask Bass_straightener.

ART? Not sure how much they charge there either...
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:23 am

Man you guys have it cheap in Melbourne...Sydney is around $1,000 minimum!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby bosc0 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:46 am

Melbourne > Sydney :D

Generally how long does the tuner require said vehicle?
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby <GB> » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:05 am

bosc0 wrote:Melbourne > Sydney :D

Generally how long does the tuner require said vehicle?

a day but they may want it overnight
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Next

Return to Tuning