Boost controller and turbo timer

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Boost controller and turbo timer

Postby JDGT05 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 am

Hey guys,

After deciding to get a verso tune at ASG in Malaga I was wondering if it's necessary to have a boost controller and turbo timer installed in the car post or prior to getting the tune done? Or should I just buy them and get ASG to install?

If so what brands are people buying and how much are they paying?

Any help appreciated!
Now driving the mighty 86 :)
JDGT05

Car: STI Spec Forester
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14065

Re: Boost controller and turbo timer

Postby coyote » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:13 am

Ask your tuner.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:41 am

Jump on SubyClub or rexnet, should be able to find some good second hand ones.

You don't really need a boost controller on the stock turbo as it isn't a very good turbo, timer yes to save you sitting there to warm it down.

Ill be putting a boost controller and turbo timer in when I do my turbo upgrade in a cuple of months.

But speak to your tuner as when you get it tuned. He Will post properly put the boost up 1-1.5psi anyways, and you can't put the boost any higher then that on the stock turbo or "booooooom", going on infomation from SnJ, feel free to add your own opinion/experience.
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby tangcla » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:52 pm

The stock ECU already controls your boost and unless you want very precise boost tuning, it does a very good job at it.

Why do you want a turbo timer? Your car doesn't need one.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby JDGT05 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 pm

tangcla wrote:The stock ECU already controls your boost and unless you want very precise boost tuning, it does a very good job at it.

Why do you want a turbo timer? Your car doesn't need one.

Just thought it would be a smart thing to do after the tune and exhaust go in, not needed or?

New to the modded turbo scene so forgive my stupidity :)
Now driving the mighty 86 :)
JDGT05

Car: STI Spec Forester
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14065

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 pm

The only reason I am doing the boost controller is so I can have two different boost settings for my new turbo, 18psi and 10psi, changing between both via a little remote on my keys. Try save some petrol.
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Postby 04GTLIB » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:27 pm

t.renshaw34 wrote:The only reason I am doing the boost controller is so I can have two different boost settings for my new turbo, 18psi and 10psi, changing between both via a little remote on my keys. Try save some petrol.

Sounds like a great plan Taylor, but I bet 90% of the time the boost setting will be 18psi. :mrgreen:
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:31 pm

funny that, thats what everyone was saying when I did my varex mufflers, OPEN 90% of the time, closed 10%. its the otherway around, I only open them up right before im about to drop my right foot. apart from that and a few times when I feel like listening to it they are closed. think it will be the same with the boost. :)

but when the varex's are open it makes it so much better then having an exhaust note the whole time :D.
t.renshaw34

Postby tangcla » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:53 pm

JDGT05 wrote:Just thought it would be a smart thing to do after the tune and exhaust go in, not needed or?

New to the modded turbo scene so forgive my stupidity :)

You'd get the boost adjusted at the same time as tune.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Return to Tuning