Has my tune been affected? 04 GT

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Postby dr20t » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Car has had ecu reflash by pulse racing in sydney.

Had a bit of a drama last Friday evening causing rough idle and what i thought was a timing (cam timing or ignition) problem which stopped motor from revving comfortably - turned out (I believe) to be a vacuum leak from two split hoses.

In the process of diagnosing, I pulled top half of the inlet (ie not manifold) off.

I also disconnected the 02 sensor off the dump pipe to eliminate a fault with the 02 sensor as the cause - this caused check engine light and cruise control to flash up on my dash, although once reconnected it disappeared. Did this twice to be sure ( slight deterioration in idle when 02 sensor was unplugged which ruled this out as a fault for me I believe)

Also cleaned the afm with contact cleaner (plastic safe) to free up any gunk and rule out afm fault.

Question is this - for the first 2 weeks of having the reflash, car was fantastic on fuel (10.4L\100km according to trip computer) and seemed to boost more freely. Since friday, avg fuel consumption has dropped to 7.9L\100km for the same type of driving. Has my tune been affected by any of my actions?

The three variables I can think of are as follows:

- unplugging 02 sensor whilst running has caused error log which is not clearing (is this possible on these ecu's?)

- I used a full can of heavy duty injector cleaner, which may be thickening the fuel mixture and thus burning slower - causing worse economy \ performance for the tune? Didnt think any such change would be so pronounced though.

- There is still a fault somewhere which was exacerbated by the vacuum leak although is still lurking (ie acvs solenoids or afm fault)

Question is - is it possible for my tune to have been affected by the above? Am i being paranoid or do you guys think this is feasible?

Seems like the car isnt as torquey off boost (or punchy whilst on boost) and is chewing more fuel and doesnt feel like it did before the idle problem on Friday.

I've racked my brain trying to figure it out but its got me done right now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Re: Has my tune been affected? 04 GT

Postby senator » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:51 am

Sounds like a common Pulse tune, don’t doubt the tune it self.

My car had very similar issues to yours and the end result was the tuning parameters or lack of was completely wrong........ If it wasn't for a member on this forum logging my car at a track day, it would have ended with a blown engine.

Take it back to Pulse and watch him use very excuse under the sun to blame you.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby dr20t » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:36 am

Appreciate the response Tony.

However if it is tune related, why was the car running fine the first two weeks? Does the fuzzy logic adjusting capacity of the ecu allow such massive swings to occur? Not familiar with these ecu's (I've installed amd tuned mixrotechs)

When you say tune parameters, are you talking timing, fuel inputs, boost referenced throttle? What should I be worried about and what did you do in the end to fix?

Cheers

dr20t

Postby senator » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am

dr20t wrote:Appreciate the response Tony.

However if it is tune related, why was the car running fine the first two weeks? Does the fuzzy logic adjusting capacity of the ecu allow such massive swings to occur? Not familiar with these ecu's (I've installed amd tuned mixrotechs)

When you say tune parameters, are you talking timing, fuel inputs, boost referenced throttle? What should I be worried about and what did you do in the end to fix?

Cheers

PM sent
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby zorro » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:35 am

Bizzare, to me sounds like the fuel trims have learned and the thing is running too lean hence drop in L/100 & performance. Without knowing this pulse mob I can't say what or how they tune but going off what I have read on here so far it does not sound good.

Good luck hope it gets sorted hassle free
zorro

Car: Z-Series Senator

Postby dr20t » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:45 am

zorro wrote:Bizzare, to me sounds like the fuel trims have learned and the thing is running too lean hence drop in L/100 & performance. Without knowing this pulse mob I can't say what or how they tune but going off what I have read on here so far it does not sound good.

Good luck hope it gets sorted hassle free

Thanks mate - if anything it would be running rich again not lean thus the deterioration in fuel consumption.

Even then though, it feels like timing is still slightly out. I was of the belief that once set, the inputs were locked (as is the case with aftermarket ecu's ive used) with only minor adjustments made on an ad hoc basis for knock correction or intake temps etc - with aftermarket ecu's, once these normalise (ie once knock disappears or intake temps reduce), the base map remains.

Seems like this is not the case with the standard ecu, as it appears the entire map has gone into some sort of "limp home" mode

Will keep you guys informed - thanks again

dr20t

Postby eckymosis » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Instead of making a new topic I figured I'd ask for assistance here as I have a similar question/problem with my 05 GT.

I recently had my car tuned at HP-F about 2 weeks ago after fitting as turbo back system about 1 month ago. For the first few days, the car was running perfect and I could feel the noticeable difference the tune had made.

However, a few days ago I noticed the acceleration was becoming rough and that the engine light and cruise control was flashing, indicating an error code. After doing some research I discovered that the O2 sensor usually gets fried or goes on the fritz after a tune or in some cases installation of a dump pipe.

I took the car to Ross at Cromwood motors who checked the error codes and drove the car around. He then advised me that the O2 sensor was knocked and that I needed a new one. After sourcing one on eBay, I had Ross fit it today and now the car is accelerating smoothly again and there are no error codes appearing.

I did however notice that the kick the car had after the tune at HP-F, was now lacking.

My question is if by installing the new O2 sensor, has the car's ECU reset and lost all of which HP-F did? Furthermore, in the event that the ECU is now at stock level's, what is the likelihood of HP-F reflashing the ECU under warranty as a result of the original tune knocking essentially knocking out the O2 sensor and requiring me to purchase and fit a new one?

Any help would be awesome guys.
eckymosis

Car: MY05 GT

Postby coyote » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Stock tune is gone, overwritten by the new one.

Everyone should buy a Tatrix cable and learn how to use it. It's up there with checking the oil level.

That goes double for anyone with mods and triple for anyone with a tune.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:57 pm

coyote wrote:Stock tune is gone, overwritten by the new one.

Everyone should buy a Tatrix cable and learn how to use it. It's up there with checking the oil level.

You should start a Tatrix + tuning thread in the forum for noobs like me, that way the info is coming from a trusted source
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby rooby » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Rome_STI wrote:

You should start a Tatrix + tuning thread in the forum for noobs like me, that way the info is coming from a trusted source

+1
Assuming there isn't already one. It's too late for me to care to look right now.
rooby

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby coyote » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 am

Rome_STI wrote:

Start here:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopi ... =32&t=2772

Basic health check up of your engine.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby brainy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Is the o2 sensor genuine?

I ask as i've heard of non genuine o2 sensors reading too slow or something along the lines of that.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
brainy

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Return to Tuning