Turbo boost increase

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Turbo boost increase

Postby macdaddy_STI » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 pm

I have been thinking of increasing the boost on my liberty. Has anyone done this before and what happens?
a wolf in sheeps clothing
macdaddy_STI

Car: Liberty GT Spec.B STI MY07 Wagon 6Sp

Re: Turbo boost increase

Postby Arith » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:17 pm

I dunno. Maybe try a search?

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Phat's selling HKS EVC5 boost controller's...they'll do the trick!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby 05GTLIBERTY » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:59 am

I have a turbosmart manual boost controller, brand new $80
05GTLIBERTY

Car: MY05 GT Liberty Manual

Postby tangcla » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:21 am

macdaddy_STI wrote:Has anyone done this before and what happens?

Boom.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby senator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:18 am

You may want to check with your tuners to see if the boost has already been increased from standard.

Are you running the standard VF46 turbo?

You may want to consider an intake modification also before increasing boost, just to be safe.

Boost can be controlled by tuning your ECU or manually with a boost controller. Most manual boost controllers, like the HKS EVC 5 have more than one boost setting, also it controls boost with a stepper motor and not a solenoid so fine adjustment is possible, more importantly spikes are very minimal.

My car has been safely running 15 psi low and 17 psi high with supporting mods to both the intake and fuel system for the last 3 years, still running the standard VF46.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:09 am

senator wrote:You may want to check with your tuners to see if the boost has already been increased from standard.

You may want to consider an intake modification also before increasing boost, just to be safe.

Boost can be controlled by tuning your ECU or manually with a boost controller. Most manual boost controllers, like the HKS EVC 5 have more than one boost setting, also it controls boost with a stepper motor and not a solenoid so fine adjustment is possible, more importantly spikes are very minimal.

My car has been safely running 15 psi low and 17 psi high with supporting mods to both the intake and fuel system for the last 3 years, still running the standard VF46.

What kind of supporting mods if you don't mind me asking?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby senator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am

Rome_STI wrote:
senator wrote:You may want to check with your tuners to see if the boost has already been increased from standard.

What kind of supporting mods if you don't mind me asking?

Full intake: HKS panel filter fitted to modified air box, drafting air from fog light surround, prova air guide (may not be required), Zerosports air box to turbo inlet pipe, AVO turbo inlet pipe, perrin TMIC, Zerosports cool action 2 (bonnet shrouding which spreads air over the entire TMIC) and the most important part is the Phat GT reticulated air/oil separator to remove oil vapour from the intake…. And a boost gauge to keep a close eye on things.
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:21 am

senator wrote:
Full intake: HKS panel filter fitted to modified air box, drafting air from fog light surround, prova air guide (may not be required), Zerosports air box to turbo inlet pipe, AVO turbo inlet pipe, perrin TMIC, Zerosports cool action 2 (bonnet shrouding which spreads air over the entire TMIC) and the most important part is the Phat GT reticulated air/oil separator to remove oil vapour from the intake…. And a boost gauge to keep a close eye on things.

Sounds sexy!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Return to Tuning