Tuners in Brisbane

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Tuners in Brisbane

Postby SegR » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 am

All my forum searching reveals nothing regarding this other than the occasional trip to Brisbane by Pulse.

The "is it worth it thread" brought this thought to mind and it's something I'll definitely be contemplating more after making a few minor changes to my own vehicle.

Does anyone around Brisbane tune our pets? If not, what's the least expensive way to get to someone competent? (i.e. who's closest?)
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: Tuners in Brisbane

Postby subyroo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 am

Whereabouts in Brissie are you?

This might be too far out of your way,

Subi Evolution
http://www.subievolution.com.au/

Unit 2/9 Combarton St
Brendale, 4500 QLD

07 3205 4266

John French Motors is supposedly good too.

http://www.johnfrenchmotors.com/

Personally I myself use Boxer Service at Brendale but I only have a N/A 03 XS Forester.

http://www.boxerservice.com.au/
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby SegR » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for the response Suby. I'm on the south side but compared to driving to Docklands I have no problem crossing the river for someone who has a good reputation :-)

Never thought of asking John French - they did my last service and seemed OK.

Does anyone have experience with Subi Evolution, John French Motors or Boxer Service for tuning of Liberties? (the closer to an '05 3.0R the better)

Suby how did you find Boxer Service when they worked on your Forester?
Team Beards
SegR

Postby subyroo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:02 pm

SegR wrote:Thanks for the response Suby. I'm on the south side but compared to driving to Docklands I have no problem crossing the river for someone who has a good reputation :-)

Never thought of asking John French - they did my last service and seemed OK.

Does anyone have experience with Subi Evolution, John French Motors or Boxer Service for tuning of Liberties? (the closer to an '05 3.0R the better)

Suby how did you find Boxer Service when they worked on your Forester?

Andrew and the boys are great, they have serviced my Forester since August 2005 and the 62,500kms Service, they completed the 175,000km Service just last week.

When I had the 100,00km Service done I went to Andrew with a list from another Subaru Forum that members recommended having replaced at that Service and Andrew asked me why I wanted to throw my money away and I told him why and he said I didn't need to replace all the things on the list, he saved me money on that Service, he could quite easily have shut up and did what I asked for and taken my money but he was open - honest and up front about it.

P.S. Subie Evolution are 3kms away from Boxer Service so you can check out both places with ease.
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby coyote » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

All of the places listed are mechanical workshops.

To the best of my knowledge (and I know them all except Boxer Service), none of them do ecu tuning.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby kiks » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Mark Jacobson - Godzilla Motorsport
Matt Spry - PITS (gold coast)

Anything and anyone else and you're wasting your time.
kiks

Car: 1UZTurbo HQ ute, Gen3 1GZ 5L V12 lib

Postby SegR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:04 am

I see. Where are Godzilla Motorsport? (their website seems to lack this minor detail)
Team Beards
SegR

Postby kiks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 am

Its on the website http://www.godzillamotorsport.com/content.php?cid=3
Mark isnt your average kind of bloke so dont expect him to be offering coffees and discussing the latest internet news, whether he'd be interested in playing with a lib and stuffing about flash tuning or not I dont know. But what I can say that its worth going to see him in person. As one guy I know described him "I get the feeling Mark picks and choose who and what he decides to work with". Dont be put off by the datsuns and 1000hp gtr's sitting about :p

Matt Spry is widely regarded as the only other bloke worth seeing in SE QLD. Bloke can make anything work :p

Both of these guys are heartbreakers at the best of times for people chasing big power and creating grenade engines. I dont think you'll find a single negative comment about either with some googling though.
kiks

Postby SegR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 am

Great info; mad props. Why does it seem there are so few Queenslanders on the forum? Damn Melbournites and Sydenites having all the fun.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby subnub » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Based on comments from close friends EFI Performance at Yatala are hard to beat as well. Most of these guys have had tunes elsewhere previously, some with problems that had plagued the car for some time only for EFI to pinpoint and fix it in 10 minutes.

Website is www.efiperformance.com.au
subnub

Car: MY08 GT-B tb STi sedan 6MT

Postby Jaz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:06 pm

SegR wrote:Does anyone have experience with Subi Evolution, John French Motors or Boxer Service for tuning of Liberties? (the closer to an '05 3.0R the better)

I had dealt with Russ @ subievolution for several years, his prices are reasonable, he knows his stuff. I've had him do a 6 speed driveline swap, simple servicing (timing belts etc)
I have to admit I swap between him and AMauto (amauto.com.au) depending on availability and what I had done. If you're having an engine built he has Serge La Monica doing a couple of days there as well. If he can buiid an 8 second WRX it's safe to say he can build you a good engine.

I've had AMauto do me a front mount, rotated turbo housings, battery relocation and a whole bunch of other stuff. As fabricators they're very good.

The other person I can recommend is Michael Collins, who I believe works out of Scorpion Subaru. I've not had any personal experience with him but have heard good things through a few of the guys in the WRX club of QLD.

Now getting to the ECU side of things.
Northside 4x4, the cheapest guys I've used. They tune a range of ecus but I'm not sure if they do reflashes.
PITS Matt Spry, in terms of hourly rate the most expensive I've used, but also the most comprehensive.
Chiptorque, Professional, well organised outfit, that do fair price, fairly conservative tuners overall I'd say, but they got good results with the Ezyflash unit and tune they did.

Any more info or more specifics please ask. Chances are I've dealt with a workshop in some shape or fashion.
Jaz

Car: 07 GT-B sedan

Postby kiks » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Mike at scorpion is a top bloke, really wont f*ck you around. If you've got a weird noise or any weird question and you're not a car guy. He's the man to see for peace of mind. I refer mates there when I cant be arsed helping them or am away and they dont want to travel to Noosa to see AM auto.

If there is anything even remotely related to screwing an engine together, Robin at Perfourmane Motorsport. You will not find a better subaru engine assembler in the country. Anyone who has seen how he tolerances mains (ever heard of someone asking for 0.00001 grind? (yes 1/100th of a thou). To put it in perspective to build my EJ (arguably one of/the toughest EJ motors ever spannered together in Australia for the street) we used 4 sets of case bolts due to stretch whilst crushing the mains getting tolerences right. My heads that were a work of art by the best head builder in the country (Tony Knight) were reclearenced on the buckets by 0.1 of a thou to make Robin happy. TK doesnt make mistakes, 7.9 thou on the intake is not the 8.0 Robin wanted. Most shit out the factory is closer to 30 both intake an exhaust.

For what its worth, Robin built the engine in Serge's brumby...
kiks

Postby coyote » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

You're on a winner with Robin and TK, both good blokes who do great work. As does Matt Spry, but last time I spoke with him, he had zero interest in flash tuning Subarus.

kiks wrote:For what its worth, Robin built the engine in Serge's brumby...

Your statement is actually worth nothing to anyone who knows the real story of that Brumby and why Serge bought it so cheaply.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby ellfra » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Guys, Michael at Oracle Performance in Toowoomba does complete ECUTEC tuning and dyno runs, MRT authorised dealer etc. He has also started doing a few performance bit, brakes etc. Michaels day gig is a software developer for medical things that go ping. He is a complete motorsport boffin and has some eye watering machinery.

I have had excellent service and result with both my 05 GT and 30 R Spec B.

Details as follows:QLD, Oracle Performance Motorsport 15 Potter Street Toowoomba QLD 4350. Tel: (07 ) 4632 4488. Fax: (07) 4632 6969.

Cheers,
GF
ellfra

Car: 0630RSB, 2010 A5Cab, 2013 SQ5

Postby Brad88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:52 pm

anyone know of anyone good up the northern end of QLD haha?

we have a place called all wheel drive performance up here but i don't know if there any good and iv been told no one in Mackay can tune a lib :S
Brad88

Car: 2007 3.0r SpecB Liberty 6MT

Next

Return to Tuning