Cheapest way to log?

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Cheapest way to log?

Postby ROB-80E » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Hey guys, I've read through a few of these threads already...but i would just like clarification on what is my best method to log ECU data. Well actually, i don't even really need to log it...at least just be able to display real time ECU data.

What I mainly want to log is the MAP sensor. If i can log other things like RPM, IAT, etc as well, then bonus.

A bit of background info: I have a laptop that i can use for logging/software required. I have an Iphone (I've seen apps that are capable of doing what I want, but added hardware is required). I have a mate with a 1.3U cable that I could borrow...I've read i need the 2.0, but will the 1.3 let me read anything at all? Any other hardware suggestions?

At this stage, i can't justify spending 200 on a 2.0 cable. I'm simply not going to use it enough. If my Evo didn't have an Autronic fitted to it, I'd definitely get one as I could use it for both cars, but yeah, the Lib is pretty stock at the moment, and just want to get boost readings.

Cheers in advance. :wink:
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.
ROB-80E

Car: MY07 GT Wagon & EVO IX

Re: Cheapest way to log?

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:34 am

Cheapest way is with a knock-off cheapy cable like this one (this thread is for pre-face lift models): viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6033

You'll be able to read it with the 1.3 cable. For more info and a good read, check out this subi newbie tuning guide, downloadable from this link.

https://sites.google.com/site/asubienewbietuningguide/
Visit Sex Shop & Support My Mods.
Ben

Car: 2.0 STi

Postby ROB-80E » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Cheers Ben....looks like I'll be borrowing my mates 1.3U cable and seeing how I go.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.
ROB-80E

Postby ROB-80E » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:17 pm

No go reading with the 1.3u cable...EcuFlash just crashes as soon as you click ok to read from the ECU.
ROB-80E

Postby Hotwire » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Rob being an MY07 using CANBUS you will need the openport 2.0 cable to be able to read/flash the ECU (via ECU Flash).

As for logging, well I can't comment. If your ECU is supported by romraider I would have expected that you would likely still need the OP2 cable even to log, but it may be worth trying your mates 1.3 cable with romraider to see what happens.
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby AL0500 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Ben wrote:You'll be able to read it with the 1.3 cable. For more info and a good read, check out this subi newbie tuning guide, downloadable from this link.

https://sites.google.com/site/asubienewbietuningguide/

Interesting read - Thanks for sharing
Adam
- MY08 GTB tb STi Wagon
- MY07 Outback Premium
AL0500

Car: MY08 GTB tb STi Wagon

Postby ROB-80E » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Hotwire wrote:Rob being an MY07 using CANBUS you will need the openport 2.0 cable to be able to read/flash the ECU (via ECU Flash).

As for logging, well I can't comment. If your ECU is supported by romraider I would have expected that you would likely still need the OP2 cable even to log, but it may be worth trying your mates 1.3 cable with romraider to see what happens.

Hi Lee, yes you're right, ROM Raider Logger doesn't work either. It trys to connect, but is unable to connect to the ECU and retrieve any data. Oh, i might not be able to do anything with ROM Raider anyway....mine is a 2007 GT auto. I only saw support for the manual transmission ECU. Is there a difference when it comes to logging?

Bugger....i'm really not prepared to spend near $200 on a cable i'll only use once in a blue moon. I might see if there's some Evo guys near me that use the 2.0 cable and would let me borrow.

Cheers
ROB-80E

Return to Tuning