The E85 Thread

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Re: The E85 Thread

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:08 pm

dr20t wrote:
coyote wrote:
dr20t wrote:E85 now available at United Prairiewood for NSW folks :)

I tuned a car on United E85 this week. Tested at over 90% and tuned up well (270atw from FA20, despite boost controller tapering badly).

I really wish they'd roll this stuff out a bit quicker.

That shit crazy

What sort of timing are you seeing on the fa20's on e85 with peak boost / torque?

Done a few FA20's in NA form on E85, 24 peak torque and 28 degrees at peak power with 12.6:1 AFR's and 160Kw@wheels easily in stock form.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby <GB> » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.injectordynamics.com/NewsletterFeb2013.html

read the very bottom 'pauls techno rant'
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:30 pm

<GB> wrote:http://www.injectordynamics.com/NewsletterFeb2013.html

Thankfully Subaru have a wonderful little table called: Fuel Temp Sensor Scaling ;)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby <GB> » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:55 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
<GB> wrote:http://www.injectordynamics.com/NewsletterFeb2013.html

Thankfully Subaru have a wonderful little table called: Fuel Temp Sensor Scaling ;)

Where is that temp sensor?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby blacktop™ » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Rome_BRZ wrote:
Mahtava wrote:I'm looking for some advice on how i can turn my car in to a duel fuel machine.
I'd like to be able to run E85 & ULP98 without me having to do much/anything apart from simply filling up.

With only 1-2 petrol stations in Canberra having E85 & numerous trips to country NSW, running just E85 is not an option.

So a few questions:
Is the ability to run both E85 & ULP98 feasible/practical?

As far as I know there is currently no way for you to be able to do it with having to do nothing other than fill up. There may be a flex fuel type sensor or conversion package you can purchase for our vehicles that I don't know about but as far as I know it's got a lot to do with the tune on our cars as well.

Mick (dr20t) tossed up the idea a while back of having 2 separate ECUs, one with a 98 tune and one with an E85 tune, however the car keys etc. are linked to the ECU so this theory was thrown out. The way most people tend to do it is have two different tunes saved, and when you want to switch between fuels you drain the current tank, and reflash the tune for the other fuel type.

Rome_BRZ wrote:
Mahtava wrote:Guess that's me out then...
Not really practical without the possibility of running both fuels.

Stay tuned. Matt (Kido tuning) is working on a way to run dual maps using S drive, so might make it more practical for you. Don't know the details though.

Just thought I'd bump this to try to get a bit more discussion going as it was a year ago that this question was put forward.

Have their been any advances on this front regarding flex fuel sensors or different SI Drive maps to make easy dual fuel a reality?

Matt? anyone?
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby jakey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Matt mentioned a few months back that doing it by key is a possibility (i.e Key #1 E85, key #2 ULP).

I would assume that being able to do it by Key Fobs would now mean doing it by SI Drive maps is also a reality.
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Running both fuels has long been a reality. You will need a real-time flex fuel sensor, ecu upgrades I believe and some good tuning.

As bass_straightener pointed out - you do not want to be running dual tunes changeable by SI knob or by keys...unless you really like blowing your engine up :) in which case, this is a fantastic way to do so
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby blacktop™ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Running both fuels has long been a reality. You will need a real-time flex fuel sensor, ecu upgrades I believe and some good tuning.

Sorry I probably should have said without an ecu upgrade.

Now that you mention it, different SI tunes is a bit risky. But different keys sounds like a good idea.
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby mynameisdaniel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Be interested to know if a flex fuel sensor can be integrated into the stock ECU, perhaps as a substitute for rear O2 sensor which isn't used? (ie: wire it up to connect in place of the rear O2 sensor.)
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 pm

mynameisdaniel wrote:Be interested to know if a flex fuel sensor can be integrated into the stock ECU, perhaps as a substitute for rear O2 sensor which isn't used? (ie: wire it up to connect in place of the rear O2 sensor.)

My flex fuel sensor is connected to my original TGV system and my wideband output connects into the other TGV for full wideband open loop AFR control to ensure the timing and AFR is consistent

Lots of progress has already happened, the keys thing actually flashes up on the digital display(plus I have some display customisation as well now)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm

May I ask why you want to run flex fuel? Is it in case you run out of fuel availability or because of the e85 content variances?

Otherwise considering how good e85 is for timing and boost, would anyone want to frequently change back to pump?

I saw this thread...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53477
alexeiwoody

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:42 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
mynameisdaniel wrote:Be interested to know if a flex fuel sensor can be integrated into the stock ECU, perhaps as a substitute for rear O2 sensor which isn't used? (ie: wire it up to connect in place of the rear O2 sensor.)

My flex fuel sensor is connected to my original TGV system and my wideband output connects into the other TGV for full wideband open loop AFR control to ensure the timing and AFR is consistent

Lots of progress has already happened, the keys thing actually flashes up on the digital display(plus I have some display customisation as well now)

That's very cool, has is been a PITA to tune?

Would you say it's worth it...? It would be so much easier to just run an e85 tune and keep a cheap laptop for a reflash...
alexeiwoody

Postby mynameisdaniel » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am

alexeiwoody wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:

That's very cool, has is been a PITA to tune?

Would you say it's worth it...? It would be so much easier to just run an e85 tune and keep a cheap laptop for a reflash...

Awesome, also interested to know if you think it's worthwhile? Or a does it over complicate the tune? I'm still planning on running a wideband to my vent gauge but if it's going to help the tune and keep it more consistent I may look into that instead.

As to why I wouldn't mind being able to go 98 whenever, I've got a trip to phillip island on the cards next year, I don't think I can fit enough jerry cans and in the car to make it there :P
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby jakey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:31 am

mynameisdaniel wrote: I've got a trip to phillip island on the cards next year, I don't think I can fit enough jerry cans and in the car to make it there :P

I'd say you'd be able to get it along the way. Phillip island isn't very far from melbourne, but I guess it depends where youre coming from
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 am

jakey wrote:
mynameisdaniel wrote: I've got a trip to phillip island on the cards next year, I don't think I can fit enough jerry cans and in the car to make it there :P

I'd say you'd be able to get it along the way. Phillip island isn't very far from melbourne, but I guess it depends where youre coming from

Daniel won't even make it out of Sa. I just read his build thread - he's WOTing it non stop! :D
alexeiwoody

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning