Tune Benefits

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

Tune Benefits

Postby KS487 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:59 am

G'day,
Wondering if I can get some opinions. I'm currently looking at getting a dyno tune to get a bit more oomph out of my 2008 GT Spec B (manual). The car is pretty much stock except for a catback exhaust. In these circumstances, would a dyno tune be worth it? A few people suggest getting a few more mods before getting a tune done, but I'm on a budget so I won't be going
crazy buying a new turbo, intercooler, cai, downpipe, etc. I looked into getting a tune done for more usable torque, and a bit more power.

Thank you.
KS487

Car: 2008 Liberty GT Spec B 6MT

Re: Tune Benefits

Postby vinshonz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:12 pm

KS487 wrote:G'day,
Wondering if I can get some opinions. I'm currently looking at getting a dyno tune to get a bit more oomph out of my 2008 GT Spec B (manual). The car is pretty much stock except for a catback exhaust. In these circumstances, would a dyno tune be worth it? A few people suggest getting a few more mods before getting a tune done, but I'm on a budget so I won't be going
crazy buying a new turbo, intercooler, cai, downpipe, etc. I looked into getting a tune done for more usable torque, and a bit more power.

Thank you.

big difference

when i got my car, i tuned it with all stock parts. the difference was very noticeable

then the mods bug bites :)
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby jarrenowen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:41 pm

vinshonz wrote:
KS487 wrote:G'day,

Thank you.

big difference

when i got my car, i tuned it with all stock parts. the difference was very noticeable

then the mods bug bites :)

same boat as vincent, i had mine tuned stock, then added more bits and pieces.
stock tune was 125kw atw, after tune was 174kw atw.
jarrenowen

Car: 2007 Liberty Gt Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31061

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:09 pm

I’m ThrottleHappy aka kido tuned on a mostly stock 2.5t.
The biggest benefit for myself is having the extreme throttle angle differences removed from the SI drive, leaving 3 different boost levels plus throttle as boost controller :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby vinshonz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:11 pm

i found a old post i replied to someone else

stock tune ran 13.5psi on S#

matt tuned all 3 of my settings
i = 9psi petrol saver
s = 13psi daily
s# = 16psi fun mode

(this was when my car was mechanically stock)
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby kev9277 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:36 am

Hello,
Im new to the forum as i recently bought myself a 2.5 lib GT and love the car. Im gonna bump off this coz im wondering if the tunes help out with the fuel economy much? im averaging 12-13L per100km with, imo, a fairly steady foot . Its the only down fall of the car :(

Cheers.
kev9277

Car: Liberty GT GEN5 Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:40 am

I’m tuned with 3” tbe, around 8.6 freeway and 12+ city.
The point of a stock tune is more drivability and reliability imho.
Similarly, basic mods and upgrades as well.

ThrottleHappy has tuned the SI drive to behave just how I like it.
Auto owners will benefit from his TC tune too.

Regardless you should be monitoring your cars health with Btssm or Romraider.
In doing so you, may gain an appreciation of what engine specific maintenance items need to be targeted to get it running as originally designed. Between logging and LV plus learning basic diagnostics eg inlet leak testing, reading spark plugs, you’ll be set, for that tune...

But the expectation of massive economy gains is misguided.

That was implemented by the manufacturer and some of the emissions related aspects of the stock tune are possibly detrimental to long term reliability re open and closed loop specifics.

So if your usage is 100% freeway, I’d be looking into why it’s high.

Usual suspects being inlet leaks, avcs, dirty maf, worn out a/f sensor, carbon buildup (use Subaru uec & injector cleaner) and or old plugs.

If that’s the long term combined figure with primarily urban use, it’s probably ok. But log n LV it anyway.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Stifull » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:15 pm

It all depends on future plans for the car.. If you want to spend $1000+ for a tune, that will make a difference but not a great deal compared to some mods, then go for it.. BUT...if you want some real power increases, wait until you have all the goodies saved in a box, get them all fitted at once, THEN get a tune. If you take your time rounding up good 2nd hand parts, eg, turbo, downpipe, injectors,CAI (resonator delete is a great first option for more power and good sound), Walbro fuel pump, silicon "Y" pipe for the IC and a silicon intake pipe , all of which you can get for around $1000 or so. Spending big dollars on a tune that will still leave you back in the "ordinary" power section is probably not the best use of $$$. You don't need to spend thousands on new parts to achieve a 50% power increase if you shop smart then get a good tune so you make good power with min boost .. My blue rex make 185 kwts atw on 16lb...LOL.. I did it all as per above 7-8 years, had it tuned and haven't touch it since.. Love it every time I drive it and the torque is awesome. It's 2.5ltr in a GC8.
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby kev9277 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks for the info guys! will take those tips and advice and use them to my advantage!
kev9277

Car: Liberty GT GEN5 Wagon

Return to Tuning