Advice on catback + mufflers for H6

Exhaust modifications

Advice on catback + mufflers for H6

Postby jezzm » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Hey everyone.
I'm just wondering what catback and mufflers people have installed on their car and what they have to say about it in regards to drone and loudness.
I don't really know too much about exhausts and how they all work so any advice would be much appreciated.
I've been leaning towards a mild steel xforce catback but it seems to have mixed reviews and a set of ultrex mufflers.
Also I'm a p plater so although i would love to do a whole system with headers I don't want to risk it with the police.
Thanks in advance!
jezzm

Car: '04 3.0R Spec-B

Re: Advice on catback + mufflers for H6

Postby Matazlin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 pm

jezzm wrote:Hey everyone.
I'm just wondering what catback and mufflers people have installed on their car and what they have to say about it in regards to drone and loudness.
I don't really know too much about exhausts and how they all work so any advice would be much appreciated.
I've been leaning towards a mild steel xforce catback but it seems to have mixed reviews and a set of ultrex mufflers.
Also I'm a p plater so although i would love to do a whole system with headers I don't want to risk it with the police.
Thanks in advance!

Have been through a few setups. Started off with a full stainless xforce cat back including mufflers. Great noise but grew out of the cannons. Not excessively loud but there was a slight drone at freeway speeds.

Moved onto STi mufflers with the xforce mid section and rear y-pipe. Slight increase in noise over stock as they're pretty much stock mufflers. Zero drone but sounds a bit tinny/high pitched when matched up with the rest of the xforce system. Wanted something a little louder

Currently got TCP quads sitting on the car. Louder than the xforce mufflers, and an increase in drone. But it brings out the proper H6 note whilst still keeping a quad tip look from the rear, which was something that I wanted

Hope this helps somewhat! Some people here also get their catback custom made through a shop. Cheaper and will fit the car better (won't hang as low as an aftermarket system), but sound quality may be lost if the shop isn't that great at fabbing a complete system
Matazlin

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B.
Profile URL: http://bit.ly/1CpVWZh

Postby jezzm » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Matazlin wrote:
jezzm wrote:Hey everyone.
Thanks in advance!

Have been through a few setups. Started off with a full stainless xforce cat back including mufflers. Great noise but grew out of the cannons. Not excessively loud but there was a slight drone at freeway speeds.

Moved onto STi mufflers with the xforce mid section and rear y-pipe. Slight increase in noise over stock as they're pretty much stock mufflers. Zero drone but sounds a bit tinny/high pitched when matched up with the rest of the xforce system. Wanted something a little louder

Currently got TCP quads sitting on the car. Louder than the xforce mufflers, and an increase in drone. But it brings out the proper H6 note whilst still keeping a quad tip look from the rear, which was something that I wanted

Hope this helps somewhat! Some people here also get their catback custom made through a shop. Cheaper and will fit the car better (won't hang as low as an aftermarket system), but sound quality may be lost if the shop isn't that great at fabbing a complete system

Thanks for the help mate.
I think I'll go with a mild steel system as lots of people think the actually sound better and less tinny.
I'd love some TPC quads, but I had a look on their website and the only quads they had come with a catback system for 08/09 WRX STIs. Are these the mufflers you bought?
jezzm

Car: '04 3.0R Spec-B

Postby Swipez » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:39 pm

If this thread is still active.... See my post:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31839

Hopefully it helps you out. Really, the only other thing you can do is run TCP Auto Quads I guess, like other users have said. Can't go wrong with the xforce centre and either TB STi Quads or the tcp auto Quads.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Return to Exhausts