07 Liberty gt spec b exhaust sound

Exhaust modifications

07 Liberty gt spec b exhaust sound

Postby fangdarex » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 am

I have recently purchased a manual spec b sedan and am doing the research on mods. Have done a fair bit of reading and have pretty much narrowed down what I'm going to do to the car.

One thing I haven't been able to find is sound clips of a gt spec b with aftermarket dump pipe & standard mid and mufflers, or one with aftermarket dump, xforce mid and y pipe into standard mufflers. I have heard a few with the sti mufflers but not the spec b ones.

I have been speaking with a tuner I have used over the years on my previous wrx's and he has suggested dump, mid and y pipe into standard mufflers, silicon intake and tune. I know I'll be giving up a bit of power by not doing it, but not sure I want to do the mid section so I can keep it quiet. Would like to listen to a couple to see how they sound though before making a decision.

If anyone has a clip or could post a link to a couple with this exhaust setup it would be much appreciated. Cheers
fangdarex

Car: 07 GT Spec B Manual

Re: 07 Liberty gt spec b exhaust sound

Postby kiwigene » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:41 pm

I have done dump with silicone inlet and so far kept stock mid, y and mufflers. Makes no discernible difference to exhaust sound.

So all the muffling is in the mid and mufflers.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:03 pm

That's exactly the setup I have fangdarex (aftermarket dump, with stock everything else ie mid and mufflers) on my GT SpecB.

So none in this sound thread? :
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2382

If not, I can record it for you. But the difference is sooo tiny, I'm not sure the camera will pick it up.

My aim was to get the power gains from the aftermarket Dump (definitely makes a difference), but no extra noise over stock. Stock mufflers and mid are not really restrictive until making BIG power, so people replacing them at our power levels are only those who want the extra noise.

With windows up, there is zero difference over stock. It really is ZERO, even with music off and cabin fan off, I can't tell. But with Windows down, there is a definite slight spool-up whistle, when accelerating as it comes onto boost around 2500-3000RPM.

Silicone intake I thought gave a definite increase in induction noise, but that's only what I've heard.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby fangdarex » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies.

I have decided to do dump pipe, silicon intake and tune only at this stage.
fangdarex

Car: 07 GT Spec B Manual

Return to Exhausts