Catback or Mufflers MY07 Spec B 3.0R

Exhaust modifications

Catback or Mufflers MY07 Spec B 3.0R

Postby damien.kal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:07 pm

As per the subject of this thread catback or mufflers????
Wanting to get my H6 sounding a lot nicer and not sure whether I should go get myself a catback or just change the mufflers out.
I do have a pair of quad tip mufflers that I picked up (no idea what brand or anything etc. etc.) which I would need to get an exhaust shop to get flanges etc. made up for them to fit. Alternatively I could pay the extra mooleys and get a catback.
Do I care about performance, short answer no. I have a tune and super happy with how it is right now. I just want it to have a nice H6 sound. I'm not keen on a stupid loud exhaust, I don't want the drone that's associated with that haha. Just a nice rumble on idle and solid note when I give it some throttle.

Thoughts?
damien.kal

Car: MY07 3.0R Spec B Sedan
Profile URL: Hp

Re: Catback or Mufflers MY07 Spec B 3.0R

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:20 am

Mufflers will make MUCH more of a difference to sound than any other section of the exhaust. That's what they do (muffle the sound, or aftermarket ones not so much...).

I don't have a 3.0R, but basically on a Gen4 there's just piping between the catted section and the mufflers. So with a catback you'd be replacing the stock centre section etc, which is just piping. Aftermarket piping won't make a big difference to sound. Maybe a bit more flow if the pipe is bigger (but you say you're not interested in performance), and that may increase the sound a tiny bit. But the Mufflers make the biggest difference.

The material of any exhaust section will make a little bit of a difference. Stainless steel is usually thinner and has a more raspy/tinny sound than mild steel. But whatever change you make with the mufflers will be much more noticeable.

Since you don't know what brand your mufflers are, there's no way of knowing if you'll have any drone. But you have a sedan, so you should be ok haha (wagons are usually worse because of the bigger cabin, and less insulation between the rear of the exhaust and the driver). Try them and see, fingers crossed you'll like the sound. If not, there's a thread on this forum with sounds/video clips of all sorts of exhaust setups.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Return to Exhausts