TBE on MY07 6MT Keeping STI Quads

Exhaust modifications

TBE on MY07 6MT Keeping STI Quads

Postby ysKn » Fri May 01, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi all,
I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket turbo back exhaust on my MY07 tbSTI 6MT. Want to keep the stock STI quad tip mufflers.
Been looking at some Xforce ones on bestmufflers in mild steel (So much cheaper than Stainless!):

Dump Pipe $345 + $220 for ceramic cat
https://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/prod ... a57fc3eac0
Resonator + Midpipe + Y-Pipe + Mufflers $495
https://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/prod ... a57fc3eac0
I don't think they'll sell the catback without the Xforce mufflers

You guys reckon this is a good upgrade? Would getting anything more expensive net higher gains?
Anybody have any suggestions on what they think is good?

So many questions!
Cheers.
ysKn

Car: MY07 Liberty

Re: TBE on MY07 6MT Keeping STI Quads

Postby Wrighty » Tue May 12, 2015 11:05 am

Hey mate,

Let me know what you end up doing, i'm considering doing the same thing but maybe a little less extreme. I want a note from the car whilst maintaining the mufflers; is this possible?
Wrighty

Car: 2007 Lberty GT TbSTi Black Wagon

Postby Robbks » Tue May 12, 2015 11:15 am

Just buy a suitable 3" dump and have the rest of the system built at the shop.

Use a 3" metal substrate cat, either a genuine MetalCat if you want Stainless casing,
or just go a 3" redback with mild steel casing,
Drop in a 3" redback hotdog then step the piping down to 2.5" before it splits into 2" to feed each muffler.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby ferret89 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm going aftermarket dump + high flow cat to my stock cat-back including sti mufflers. The dump pipe is the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust so it needs the upgrade the most

Depending on how it sounds I'll keep it like that or look at replacing the cat-back if I don't like it. I'll be keeping those sti tips though, even if I change mufflers for a bit more sound

I'll let you know how it goes on Friday
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby ysKn » Thu May 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Robbks wrote:Just buy a suitable 3" dump and have the rest of the system built at the shop.

Use a 3" metal substrate cat, either a genuine MetalCat if you want Stainless casing,
or just go a 3" redback with mild steel casing,
Drop in a 3" redback hotdog then step the piping down to 2.5" before it splits into 2" to feed each muffler.

So the only things to buy are the dump pipe, cat and resonator? Remaining piping is custom. Does that make it cost more or less?
ysKn

Postby ysKn » Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 pm

ferret89 wrote:I'm going aftermarket dump + high flow cat to my stock cat-back including sti mufflers. The dump pipe is the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust so it needs the upgrade the most

Depending on how it sounds I'll keep it like that or look at replacing the cat-back if I don't like it. I'll be keeping those sti tips though, even if I change mufflers for a bit more sound

Not too familiar with how restrictive the stock catback is, but if I need to get somebody to tune it anyway, I thought it'd best to replace the whole turboback first.
But yeah, definitely let us know how it goes! Very keen :D
ysKn

Postby ferret89 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:56 pm

ysKn wrote:
ferret89 wrote:I'm going aftermarket dump + high flow cat to my stock cat-back including sti mufflers. The dump pipe is the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust so it needs the upgrade the most

Not too familiar with how restrictive the stock catback is, but if I need to get somebody to tune it anyway, I thought it'd best to replace the whole turboback first.
But yeah, definitely let us know how it goes! Very keen :D

Dump installed to stock cat-back today, sounds good imo...a little deeper and louder although it's a bit hard to tell as I'm babying it until I get a re-tune

As far as I know the stock cat-back isn't really very restrictive until you start pushing big power (200atwkw+) and it would likely only cost you a few kw, however stay tuned as I'll have dyno figures and full impressions after my re-tune next week :D
ferret89

Postby ysKn » Thu May 21, 2015 6:37 pm

ferret89 wrote:
Dump installed to stock cat-back today, sounds good imo...a little deeper and louder although it's a bit hard to tell as I'm babying it until I get a re-tune

As far as I know the stock cat-back isn't really very restrictive until you start pushing big power (200atwkw+) and it would likely only cost you a few kw, however stay tuned as I'll have dyno figures and full impressions after my re-tune next week :D

Nice, what dump did you end up getting?
ysKn

Postby ferret89 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am

ysKn wrote:
ferret89 wrote:

Nice, what dump did you end up getting?

It's a CES Racing twin-dump a bit of an unusual choice :lol:

It does sound good, definitely a bit louder and more induction noise when comes on boost. Very happy with it and I'll grab a video on the weekend although it probably hasn't carboned up fully yet

EDIT: Video is up

http://youtu.be/swN8b5QTaDQ
ferret89

Return to Exhausts